Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest AutumnE

Vegan Diet Questions?

Thanks for the information :)

Its given me alot to think about. Well I cant do yeast, huge mold allergy. I have candida issues, I think, I seem to get yeast infections easily. I will have to read up more on chlorella and spirulina but I have many health issues besides celiac disease so it might not be wise. Honestly I just want to figure out my intolerances more so I dont feel yucky everyday. For the past couple of days I felt fine and then the big "D" set in and hasn't let up. I know I cant eat dairy, soy, gluten, other grains, corn, and I think potatoes are an issue. I have upset stomach lately for no reason and I figured maybe its meat? I just want to be healthy. But now the nuts are bothering me. Frankly I have to eat some kind of protein as I have insulin resistance and have to balance it out. I might revisit limiting meats again to try and figure it out, maybe just smaller amounts of kosher chicken and focus more on veggies and fruit?

I just feel at a loss and I don't know what to do........

Have you tried organic free range meats? They aren't full of antibiotics and growth hormones. Some people can tolerate "clean" meats better than regular meats. If your budget can handle the cost, it may be worth a try.

Tapioca intolerant

First cousin dx'd with Celiac Disease

Grandmother died of malnutrition b/c everything made her sick... sounds like celiac to me.

Gluten-free since June 2005

Dx with IBS February 2005

Blood tests both negative (or inconclusive?) for celiac (in 2002 and 2004)

MORE ON B12: I've read that people with low stomach acid do not easily absorb B12 from foods they eat. One way B12 is depleted is from antiacids and acid blocking drugs like zantac and tagamet. Many undiagnosed celiacs suffer reflux because their intestines are damaged and digestion is impaired. So docs who don't know about celiac disease prescribe antiacids or acid blocking meds without considering that celiacs may get reflux because the intestinal digestion is impaired due to celiac disease damage, which slows stomach emptying (gastroparesis). Then those drugs deplete stomach acid which impairs digestion even more.

After getting diagnoses for celiac disease and 4 other food allergies I abstained from all those foods, treated for a Klebsiella bacteria, took massive probiotics, and digestive enzymes, but STILL felt too full too fast after eating. No matter how much I avoided contamination, took enzymes and probiotics I STILL got gas and bloating after every meal UNTIL I started taking a digestive enzyme with HCl (betaine Hydrochloride). Not only did my digestion improve, but I started feeling more energetic. Then I read that our bodies need an acid environment to effectively absorb B12 from foods. Without that, we will need B12 supplements.

I know this is a 'vegan' thread but CLAMS have the highest levels of B12 than other foods. I plan to make steamed clams the next time fresh clams are available in the Pacific Northwest (very soon). Meanwhile I'll keep taking my digestive enzymes with HCl.

BURDEE

Gluten, dairy, soy, egg, cane sugar, vanilla and nutmeg free. Enterolab diagnosed gluten/casein intolerant 7/04; soy intolerant 8/07. ELISA test diagnosed egg/cane sugar IgG allergies 8/06; vanilla/nutmeg 8/06. 2006-10 diagnosed by DNA Microbial stool tests and successfully treated: Klebsiella, Enterobacter Cloaecae, Cryptosporidia, Candida, C-diff, Achromobacter, H. Pylori and Dientamoeba Fragilis. 6/10 Heidelberg capsule test diagnosed hypochloridia. Vitamin D deficiency, hypothyroiditis, hypochloridia and low white blood cells caused vulnerability to infections. I now take Betaine HCl, probiotics, Vitamin D and T3 thyroid supplement to maintain immunity.

Go to the health food store and pick up sublingual B-12. You hold it under your tongue and it tastes good and disolves into your blood stream immediately. I take it everyday and don't have to take shots because of it.

I had and stil can get pernicious anemia and of course normal B-12 does not absorb with me. So, I had no intentions of taking B-12 shots every week for the rest of my life if I don't have to so because the sublingual goes directly into the blood stream, I don't have to have shots.

Rusla

Asthma-1969

wheat/ dairy allergies, lactose/casein intolerance-1980

Multiple food, environmental allergies

allergic to all antibiotics except sulpha

Rheumitoid arthritis,Migraine headaches,TMJ- 1975

fibromyalgia-1995

egg allergy-1997

msg allergy,gall bladder surgery-1972

Skin Biopsy positive DH-Dec.1 2005, confirmed celiac disease

gluten-free totally since Nov. 28, 2005

Hashimoto's Hypothyroidism- 2005

Pernicious Anemia 1999 (still anemic on and off.)

Osteoporosis Aug. 2006

Creative people need maids.

I tried it but it drained my energy and at the time it wasnt working to be that tired. Im going to revisit it and see if it works.

If it made you tired, chances are very good candida is a problem for you. The die-off causes exaggerated symptoms. All you have to do if it gets to be too bad is to eat a piece of fruit. The sugar in the fruit will feed the candida so the die-off symptoms aren't as bad. Remember, though, you don't want to feed them too much or they won't die-off!!

gluten-free 12/05

diagnosed with Lyme Disease 12/06

The thing to be cautious of with the chlorella is if you have any heavy metal issues. It's used as a chelator. If you get the metals stirred up, you might feel bad ... and you will need to be sure you're taking something to eliminate them. Metals commonly go along with candida issues and even Lyme, so messing with the metals can make you feel ill. I actually have a heavy metal problem, but my doc says it's not time to work on it until I'm feeling somewhat better. I'm not strong enough now to have the metals moving around in my system.

Chelating is only half of it, elimination is the other half.

I am. This is the other benefit I'm finally enjoying after some months of the Chlorella. It wasn't so bad for me after just a month. The first few days were only the really bad days I had. I'm having all my old fillings redone in April, as well. The research on the heavy metals and chlorella is amazing. My kids are taking it daily as a precaution against hoarding metals now while they're young. There is much good information about chlorella and heavy metals.

The American Diet of Chips, soda, ice cream, Goldfish Crackers, bread for breakfast (cereal, donuts, waffles, toast, bagels) cereal bars, "gummies", candy, msg, dairy products of all kinds, soy, and other chemicals - is Killing us and promoting diseases. BE HEALTHY. EAT NATURAL FOODS. DO NOT INGEST CHEMICALS! If you cannot pronounce it, do not eat it. Use Coconut oil. Eat herbs in salads. NO DAIRY. LOVE YOURSELF. LOVE YOUR FAMILY. FOOD IS MEDICINE!

I am. This is the other benefit I'm finally enjoying after some months of the Chlorella. It wasn't so bad for me after just a month. The first few days were only the really bad days I had. I'm having all my old fillings redone in April, as well. The research on the heavy metals and chlorella is amazing. My kids are taking it daily as a precaution against hoarding metals now while they're young. There is much good information about chlorella and heavy metals.

I don't know if you have a mercury-free dentist ... but here is a website for them www.mercuryfreedentists.com. Be sure it's done correctly, or it can make the situation worse. You will be glad you did it. I had mine out in 1991.

gluten-free 12/05

diagnosed with Lyme Disease 12/06

I realize the dangers of MSG and that it is a flavouring agent, but I don't see the correlation with nutritional yeast - that is why I am confused. Thanks, though, I guess.

I don't think this is the answer, but it kind of explains the correlation between nutritional yeast and MSG, or at least a hypothesis about how the two might be related:

http://www.daystarbotanicals.com/nutritionalyeast.html

If you do some google searches about this (you probably have already :)), you'll see we're not the only ones confused about the issue :blink: I'd really like to know the answer, because I like nutritional yeast products (especially mac and chreese) and generally feel really good after eating them. So... :huh:

"Let food be thy medicine, and let thy medicine be food." - Hippocrates

I know I'm late posting to this thread, so if you don't read this, oh well, but in case you do:

I've been reading a lot on the subject of B12, and thought I'd point out that some problems of absorption could be caused by your doses. You can get the proper amount, but your body can only absorb so much at a time, and the rest is discarded. I only skimmed through this thread because I'm in a bit of a rush right now, but someone mentioned a supplement they put under their toungue and disolved it. That can also be an issue with regard to absorbtion. That is to say, the disolving kind are good as they absorb better than the kind you swallow whole. I can't find a supplement that's just the right dosage, but I take one that's more than sufficient to absorb properly in one day with one dose per day. My supplement is 250mcg/dose. My personal rule is to try not to exceed 2,000 mcg/week in B12 supplements, and never more than 5,000 mcg/week in B12 total. What seems to stick in my mind is about 3-10mcg per dose if you take one dose three times daily, the once per day dose is about 100?mcg per day?, and the weekly is about 2,000mcg taken once each week. I do the daily version.

:unsure:

Okay, I'm not making any sense I think, so I'm just gonna post this in case someone smart sees it and fixes it for me. It's past my bed time :D

Guest AutumnE

Update- Well Im a vegan now and have been for a few weeks. I finally figured out what it was that was bothering my stomach. I had my gall bladder removed two years ago and now Im not able to tolerate any fats at all. I cant eat oils, dairy, poultry, eggs, nuts, or meats. Im concerned about my fat intake and Im going to see my dr on monday, he is a vegetarian also, and see what he suggests.

Its nice to feel so good now :) Im also able to eat and go out afterwards without having to worry about stomach upset. I havent been able to do that for so long!