This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Seek Natural Treatment For Gastritis

Guest Eagle

Guest Eagle

Does anyone know of natural treatments for gastritis? I am in constant pain. I need something to coat the lining of my stomach before it erodes. I don't really like the medication I was prescribed--I am always leary of prescription medication as previous ones have caused so many problems with side effects. I am gluten, casein and soy free. Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Mtndog Collaborator

I don't mean to sound dumb- but what do you mean by gastritis? Upset stomach? Acid reflux?

Michi8 Contributor

It would depend on what is causing your gastritis. If H. Pylori is the cause, then you may need a course of antibiotics. I'd talk to your doctor to confirm the best treatment.

Otherwise, you'd want to avoid foods that would further aggrivate your gastritis: spicy foods, acidic foods, alcohol, coffee, nsaids and any foods to which you are allergic or intolerant.

Michelle

Michi8 Contributor
I don't mean to sound dumb- but what do you mean by gastritis? Upset stomach? Acid reflux?

Gastritis is inflammation of the stomach lining. According to wikipedia, these are known causes of gastritis:

Bacterial infection (often by Helicobacter pylori)

Fungal infection (typically in people with AIDS)

Parasitic infection (often from poorly cooked seafood)

Viral infection

Bile reflux

NSAIDs

Cigarette smoke

Excessive alcohol consumption

Certain types of radiation

I've read elsewhere that autoimmune issues can also be a cause.

Michelle

burdee Enthusiast

I had hoped 'eagle' would define 'gastritis'. Only that person knows what that term means to them. Docs apply that term to describe all kinds of stomach problems they can't explain. just like they apply 'IBS' to gut symptoms they can't explain. I was diagnosed with 'gastritis' years ago. I was given zantac and then tagamet plus maalox or mylanta to block acid. My symptoms were reflux and poor digestion, which were really caused by celiac intestinal damage. My doc never tested for celiac. She just prescribed antiacid meds. "If all you have is a hammer, every problem is a nail". She treated the condition she knew (gastritis) with drugs she knew (antiacid meds and acid blockers).

After hearing suspicious things about antiacids, I later stopped all those antiacids and learned to just eat enough to feel satisfied, rather than get full. So my stomach could handle the food at its pace, albeit slowed by celiac disease damage., and I didn't suffer reflux. When I was diagnosed with celiac disease and stopped eating gluten, my digestion improved even more. Then when I was diagnosed with each of 4 other allergies and abstained from those foods, I digested even better. However I STILL suffered bloating, gas and overly full discomfort after eating only small amounts.

I recently began taking digestive enzymes with betaine Hydrochloride (HCl) which gave my stomach MORE acid, rather than less. My stomach empties normally now. I seldom feel bloated and have very little gas now. I finally know what 'normal' digestion is supposed to feel like. Taking antacids and acid blockers actually impaired my already impaired digestion years ago. Many people who are give the 'gastritis' label actually have too little, rather than too much, acid. I suspect if you had misdiagnosed celiac disease for a while, you probably have too little stomach acid.

BURDEE

PS Parasites and fungus are more common that previously thought. Many people have Candida Albicans overgrowth, which is a FUNGUS.

babygirl1234 Rookie

i have gas reflex i had it since i was 16 and sometimes it acts up for no reason

key Contributor

I would think Aloe Vera juice would help. I used it for awhile and it seemed to help. Flaxseed oil is another one that is healing. There are dozens of other natural remedies that may help, but these were the two I thought of.

Monica

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest cassidy
I would think Aloe Vera juice would help. I used it for awhile and it seemed to help. Flaxseed oil is another one that is healing. There are dozens of other natural remedies that may help, but these were the two I thought of.

Monica

I second the aloe. I had gastritis when I first went gluten-free and aloe really helped. I would definitely get the flavored kind - I think I found cherry and mango. They let me try them in the health food store. They said the plain tasted like tea, but I've never had any tea like that. It was very bitter and hard to get down.

Michi8 Contributor
I had hoped 'eagle' would define 'gastritis'. Only that person knows what that term means to them. Docs apply that term to describe all kinds of stomach problems they can't explain. just like they apply 'IBS' to gut symptoms they can't explain. I was diagnosed with 'gastritis' years ago. I was given zantac and then tagamet plus maalox or mylanta to block acid. My symptoms were reflux and poor digestion, which were really caused by celiac intestinal damage. My doc never tested for celiac. She just prescribed antiacid meds. "If all you have is a hammer, every problem is a nail". She treated the condition she knew (gastritis) with drugs she knew (antiacid meds and acid blockers).

Oh. Sorry. I guess others aren't allowed to help/share information. Shall I erase my response? <_<

You know, my first response to eagle mentioned that it depends on what the cause of the gastritis is, and recommended to talk to the doctor for clarification and proper treatment. My second response was to Mtndog and for the benefit of eagle, in case s/he wasn't clear on the definition.

My gastritis (and hiatal hernia) was diagnosed visually during endoscopy, and confirmed with biopsy...so it's not simply an "I don't know" label. However, I wasn't offered any treatment, so I have to go back to the doctor again to diagnose the cause of my gastritis. My GI has the bedside manner of a rock, and doesn't seem to want to deal with patients beyond doing procedures, so I get to go through my family dr (who is on maternity leave...so now I'm dealing with her replacement who doesn't know any of my history) to figure it all out.

Michelle

Michi8 Contributor
i have gas reflex i had it since i was 16 and sometimes it acts up for no reason

Reflux is not the same thing as gastritis. Have you investigated the reason for your reflux?

Michelle

Archived