This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Mystery Pain....help!

mandigirl1

mandigirl1 Enthusiast

hello fellow celiacs,

I could use help/advice ASAP!!!!!

Was diagnosed 8 yrs ago with celiac. Living gluten free since. however, i never feel like my stomach is "normal"....theres always an "off " feeling, whether it be gas, bloating, uneasy bowel movements, etc....i EVEN THOUGHT I SAW BLOOD IN MY STOOL A FEW WEEKS AGO ALTHOUGH im not positive what blood looks like except i know its not bright red but rather dark red/brown and thats what i thought i saw. its also always a struggle to pass my bowels, im guilty of "squeezing" myself to death!!! then i feel swollen/raw.

well, for the past 2 weeks i have pain in my pelvic region like a dull ache affecting me when i bend over or lift my knee to my chest. Im very active, work out (although not recently), never had this feeling before........my dr. suspected a cyst on the ovary, yet when i had a pelvic exam, the dr. didnt feel anything wrong with female parts, so I had a CAT scan done with contrast, blood work, urine culture, and the results showed nothing on the CAT scan.....nothing was noticed. BUT I still have pain!!!! it hasnt been going away!!!!!!! over the weekend i had extreme exhaustion, slept all day and had horrible lower back pain, naseau. I am bloated and have weird eating preferences...hungry one min. naseaus the next. bowel movment is not really abnormal. when the dr pushes in my stomach in certain area, there is pain. Ibuprophen isnt helping either. so now, im going for a sonogram, just to be safe and prob a colonoscopy, which ive never had done before (I am34).

does anyone else have any idea whats causing these symptoms???? anyone ever experienced this????

Id appreciate any help or light u can shed on this. A CAT scan showed nothing and I dont think I "pulled" a muscle..................It also feels sometimes like i have an ulcer to the right side to my belly button.

please celiacs.......................SOS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tHANK YOU

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

marciab Enthusiast

I don't have a concrete answer for you, but I am having similar pain. I had a CT also which was negative. The last GI I saw for this said it was either Fibromyalgia pain or IBS. (Not that this diagnosis helps anyone, just telling you what he said :blink: ).

My pain worsens when my belly is full, so I make sure I have BM's every day. Have you tried adding probiotics to your diet ? Healthy oils ? Fiber ? Whatever it takes to keep things moving freely ...

Sorry I can't be of more help ... Marcia

2kids4me Contributor

Try eliminating dairy for several days. My daughter used to get pains like you describe. Throught inof on this site I decide to tets for lactose and/or casein intolerance .

I reintordcued dairy - she got sick . Then I gave lactose free milk - not sick! If she had gotten scik on lactose free milk then it would have been casein bothering her.

Hope this helps.

Sandy

adrews Newbie

I have that on occasion too!! I take probiotics, Omega 3-6-9, and Flax seed to help with regularity and I think that helps...dunno? My daughter had it and they just took a regular old xray and said she was 'backed up' and she needed to get cleaned out. We eliminated dairy for a while and reintroduced it slowly and that helped also. It can also be gas. I get in a lot of pain when it is stuck! For that I take Heartburn Free by Enzymatic Therapy...u take one every other day for 20 days. IT IS AWESOME!!! Helps get the gas out!!! I have found that most of my mysterious pains have been stuck gas!!! Hope this gives you some ideas! Best of luck!!!

mandigirl1 Enthusiast

Thanks guys......

I also have lower back pain......is this a sign of hyernia? stuck gas? pulled muscle? osteopenia? I am going to my doctor in a few days, so maybe then I can find out more......if anyone else has anything to add, Id appreciate it.....

btw adrews, , the heartburn enzyme......does it really help for being backed up and having gas???? or is it mostly for heartburn?

num1habsfan Rising Star

If it is blood in your stools, your stools would be black (believe me, I've had it so many times already, I know!!!). Maybe get a pelvic and stomach ultrasound if you can?? That may pick something up.

~ Lisa ~

RiceGuy Collaborator

I did have similar pains, but with the addition of a daily magnesium supplement, they are thankfully gone. Magnesium also helps with bowel function, so that's another reason you may want to try it. The kinds I'd recommend are either powder or liquid, for better absorption. There are a few different brands out there, though not all declare gluten-free. I believe the sublingual methylcobalamin (vitamin B12) I take also helps to some extent.

HTH

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Viola 1 Rookie

That sounds like the illium. Food is supposed to go through the illium as a broken down almost liquid. As we sometimes don't digest our food completely, larger chunks go through and sit in the illium causing a painful spot. Eventually it will clear itself, but if you are getting contaminated it will happen again. But I suggest you go and see your doctor and check it out :)

mandigirl1 Enthusiast

What will my Doctor do to help me??????

Im not sure my dr. can help for something like this. What do you guys think????

There's no special test for this or way to pinpoint the problem, is there?????

e

num1habsfan Rising Star

e

I had colonoscopies and endoscopies and small bowel follow-through and an ultrasound and given stool samples and tons of bloodwork (that i dont even know what for) to test this area and nothing showed up, then again, I live in Saskatchewan....In the states, i'm sure the docs can find the problem a.s.ap. :P

~ Lisa ~

Viola 1 Rookie

e

No, there is no specific test for the illium. The doctor knows where it is and can finger press to judge the tenderness of it.

But more important, he can rule out the more dangerous things like ulcers and gallbladder. If these things are ruled out you can be pretty sure it is the illium causing the problems. My doctor calls it the Celiac pain. :lol: because almost all the Celiacs he sees ... and he tends to see more in this area because he is familiar with the desease and is Celiac himself, has this illium problem.

So, seeing your doctor is a precaution ... there is no 'cure' for the illium except being 100% gluten free at all times without ever getting contaminated ... which of course is impossible in this gluten filled world.

mandigirl1 Enthusiast

Im going for a sonogram tomorrow. Im also going to see my doctor next week.

Now, im guessing maybe I have an ulcer.......i was fine all day yesterday until I had stress, then that area on the side starte hurting...like a burning feeling......Wouldnt a CAT scan show this? Or, is the test for an ulcer a different one??????

I drink a ton of coffee which may contribute to the problem, although i dont feel pain after having coffee.

Im getting married in 3 months!!! This may cause stress pain.....what do guys think???

BTW, thanks for the support! :rolleyes:

Archived