This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Should I Ask For A Bone Scan From My Ortho Doc

little d

little d Enthusiast

Hi ya'll

I have a question for ya'll, I have an apointment May 8th with my Ortho Doc for my broken foot. Should I or can I ask for a bone scan I am only 36 since I am Gluten intorleant (not formally dx with celica everthing is neg) should I ask him for a bone scan since that is the 3X to brake my foot on the same bone primarly in the same spot. Just asking.

Thanks Donna from TEXAS

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Fiddle-Faddle Community Regular
Hi ya'll

I have a question for ya'll, I have an apointment May 8th with my Ortho Doc for my broken foot. Should I or can I ask for a bone scan I am only 36 since I am Gluten intorleant (not formally dx with celica everthing is neg) should I ask him for a bone scan since that is the 3X to brake my foot on the same bone primarly in the same spot. Just asking.

Thanks Donna from TEXAS

Holy cow. Unless you are a gymnast, obviously something is not right here.

Are you TOTALLY off gluten, if you are gluten intolerant? Unfortunately, "gluten-lite" can result in most (if not all)of the same damage that the normal gluteny diet can cause.

Gluten intolerance, in my opinion WILL lead to celiac (as diagnosed by villi damage) if you keep eating gluten. In your case, it sounds like you already may have leaky gut. At any rate, for some reason, it sounds like you may not be properly absorbing minerals like calcium.

If your calcium level is actually elevated, then you should rule out multiple myeloma (Open Original Shared Link) but I would think that you are younger than most who get that, plus the broken bones in that one seem to occur more in the back and the ribs.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

I would, if he doesn't want to do one (and I don't know why he wouldn't) the person to ask next would be your ob-gyn.

georgie Enthusiast

I would. It maybe that the bone is weakened from the first break but better to check this out - than not. Also check serum levels of calcium and if too high - Parathyroidism. My cousin at 55 has fractured her kneecap by ONLY rolling her ankle over one day when walking. After 2 months it still wasn't getting better so now she is in a wheel chair for 2 more months and may need a knee replacement as the bone is STILL not healing. She is having monthly MRIs and the bone has only healed 20%.

She is 'wheat intolerant' ( Dr told her this as blood test for Celiac was normal) and hasn't been that strict about Gluten. I have now told her of the Celiac / Osteoporous link and the links to HypoThyroid ( which she has ) , and Pernicious Anaemia ( which she has ) and the family genetics. She is now believing me that she may be Celiac.

cmom Contributor

I would definitely request the bone scan. I requested one just b/c I was in my forties and wanted to make sure I was ok. To my surprise, I was told I had osteopenia due to my celiac. I have since broken my foot and it took several months to heal and it still causes me pain on a daily basis. :(

jesscarmel Enthusiast

\im 28 and my gastro insisted that all celiacs need to get a bone scan, so i got one

kbtoyssni Contributor

I certainly would. If your bone are not as dense as they should be you can still do something about it now before the problem gets more serious.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived