This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Rice Cooker

jkmunchkin

jkmunchkin Rising Star

Anyone have a recommendation for a rice cooker. I love just plain white rice, but DH wants to make the sticky Chinese rice sometimes.

I got the Zo bread machine and love it and was thinking of getting that brand for a rice cooker as well, but figured I would get recommendations. They have a bunch of models but I was just going to get one of the less expensive ones.

Thanks.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mftnchn Explorer
Anyone have a recommendation for a rice cooker. I love just plain white rice, but DH wants to make the sticky Chinese rice sometimes.

I got the Zo bread machine and love it and was thinking of getting that brand for a rice cooker as well, but figured I would get recommendations. They have a bunch of models but I was just going to get one of the less expensive ones.

Thanks.

I have bought several rice cookers in Asia, and they are much better than the ones I have seen in the USA stores. I have seen these in the Asian supermarkets in the USA though they tend to be bigger size ones (10 cup or more), so you might check there. Here in China I bought mine for around $10 US as I recall. The nicer ones have a timer on them, so you can prepare it in the morning, and have it cook just in time for your dinner at night. Most have a "warmer" setting, so when the rice finishes, it will stay warm. Actually I time it so after it is finished cooking it has 20 min or so in the warmer, seems to taste even better.

I am not familiar with the Zo models, sorry.

Good luck!

missy'smom Collaborator

I agree with the suggestion to check out the asian markets if you have one near you. We have found, living in NY and LA that the Korean markets are sometimes cheaper than the Japanese markets. Both are cheaper than the American retailers that we've seen. The instruction booklets are usually in both English and Japanese for the National/Panasonic and Zo bands and they include recipies. If and when you get one, and decide to use the short-grain sticky rice, post again and I can post some Japanese pilaf recipies if one doesn't come with your cooker. The smaller, cheaper models are fine, we have one, but ours still has automatic keep warm and several setting for different kinds of rice and a quick cook mode. Ours is a 5 cup but they come as small as 3 cup for singles. Our has Chinese characters on the inside of the pan but don't be intimidated by that. It's really easy to figure out. I match the character on the bag of rice and if I remember correctly the instruction booklet has the character written alongside the English word for the type of rice. You just need to figure this out in order to know which set of lines in the pan to fill the water up to depending on which kind of rice you use. Again, don't let this keep you from buying one made for asian customers, it may save you money. They are made to last too. Ours(National) is almost 10 years old and still looks and works great.

SunnyDyRain Enthusiast

I recently bought this model:

Open Original Shared Link

I got it for 89 dollars at linens and things, I like it it steams veggies while cooking rice and can also be used as a slow cooker and quick frying pan (I like to fry up a few pecies of bacon and onion in the cooker before putting rice in to flavor the rice) With this cooker, cleanup really is a breeze! The liner comes out and it's non stick! This had made my gluten-free time much better!

Oh plus it looks Sexy!

tarnalberry Community Regular

we have the fancy, fuzzy-logic Zojurushi rice cooker, and love it - it cooks rice perfectly without wasting a grain or any issues no matter what the kind.

grantschoep Contributor

I have the Rival 6cup RC-61 cooker. Bought it for like 15 bucks at Target(in the US)

It does a very good job. Never made bad rice yet(when I follow the actual instructions and just don't "wing it", I am really bad that way in the kitchen_

Some info on it....

Open Original Shared Link

Archived