Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Desert Living

Finding Food In Phoenix

I'm newly diagnosed and I'm looking for places to shop. I know that Trader Joe's and Whole Foods, but does anyone know of somewhere else to shop. I'm in Phoenix. Plus I have purchased some items and I find that some are less than desirable. Is there some brands or particular items to stay away from. Is all organic items in the store free of gluten? I bought something yesterday that say gluten-free so I thought it was okay, but turns out it has wheat in it. I'm allergic to wheat so just because its gluten free doesn't mean its wheat free. I'm so confused!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Welcome!

Organic does not have anything to do with gluten. Organic if referring to how the food is grown -- no pesticides, for example.

Anything gluten-free should be wheat-free as well, but something that's wheat-free is not necessarily gluten-free. I'm curious what you bought that has wheat but is labeled gluten-free.

In the beginning it's easiest to start out with things that are naturally gluten-free -- meat, eggs, fish, veggies, fruit, rice, potatoes, etc. Then try to find replacements for the foods you like.

Tinkyada is the best pasta available.

I can't tell you places to shop because I'm not in Phoenix ... but I stayed at Wild Horse Pass and they had a wonderful breakfast buffet that made it easy to eat gluten-free. I also got wonderful service there from both the restaurant and the banquet service.

There's another thread on here about Scottsdale. Apparently there's a pizza place there that has gluten-free pizza ... you might look for that thread.

gluten-free 12/05

diagnosed with Lyme Disease 12/06