This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Low Blood Sugar Levels, Anyone Else Dealing With This

dally099

Nancym Enthusiast
I think you need to check your index again. Pure sugar is what the index is based around. You can not get worse then pure sugar (which is part pure glucose). But yes white bread is horrible. :D

You might want to consult a glycemic index. Here's one: Open Original Shared Link

White Rice: there's one that is 112 GI, most are over 58

Sugar: GI Index of 58 (makes sense, 50% of it doesn't cause a glucose rise since it is fructose)

Cocoa puffs is close to 100. :P

I saw a rice flour bread in there that was shockingly high.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
dally099 Contributor

well im going to have hubby take me to the ER in the morning, i feel like crap still, at 4:30 i was at 135, and at 5:40 i was down to 102.6, so 90 min's after supper, steak and salad, i was only at 104, but im nasua and have a headachei charted all of this over the last few days and there are some some very big spikes going up and down, i dont think thats normal. i dont understand how this can come on so suddenly, but then so did the celiac, thanks so much for all your advice :lol:

VydorScope Proficient
You might want to consult a glycemic index. Here's one: Open Original Shared Link

White Rice: there's one that is 112 GI, most are over 58

Sugar: GI Index of 58 (makes sense, 50% of it doesn't cause a glucose rise since it is fructose)

Cocoa puffs is close to 100. :P

I saw a rice flour bread in there that was shockingly high.

Sorry, I was thinking of pure glucose when I was typing.

Either way, sugar still hits FASTER then anything else, hence why they use it in emergency cases to pull ppl out of crashes. It is the worst thing for your blood sugar that I know off. At least with rice/etc you have the digestion time to get fat/protein in you to prevent the crash. With pure sugar, you have like 15-20 mins of high sugar (TOPS), and then BAM in the gutter. At least you do if you as brittle as I am. :(

Try it with your meter some day if you feeling up to crashing :) NOTE I DO NOT ADVISE THIS< JUST JOKING :)

VydorScope Proficient
well im going to have hubby take me to the ER in the morning, i feel like crap still, at 4:30 i was at 135, and at 5:40 i was down to 102.6, so 90 min's after supper, steak and salad, i was only at 104, but im nasua and have a headachei charted all of this over the last few days and there are some some very big spikes going up and down, i dont think thats normal. i dont understand how this can come on so suddenly, but then so did the celiac, thanks so much for all your advice :lol:

You just need to stop eating all those carby foods. Eat only salad type veggies for your carbs, over load on good healthy fat and protein (ie meat), and you will stabilize. It will take time. Over time you can balance out your diet, but right now you need to get stable.

You do need to get in to see your doc ASAP, and if the ER is the only way to do that by you, then I guess thats an option. If you do start throwing up and can not keep things down, then suck on an flavored ice pop (basically sugar water) till you can.

You can pull through this! I have been there, more times then I care to remember. Just do not give in to carb cravings!

georgie Enthusiast

I've started my diet today and am feeling ill and nauseous. Is this normal ? My body is screaming for sugar. And I need to eat protein , a little carb and drink water every hour. Just about to eat a boiled egg and vegemite substitute !

Dally, the numbers you are quoting may not interest some Drs. The high spikes may - but not the 120s. It took me years to find an Endo that would listen to my symptoms. And after the 5 hour GTT he was still puzzled. It took the online help , and the book to help me sort it out.

dally099 Contributor

hi yup, i was at 135 at 4:30 pm, and at supper an hour later i was down to 102, had my steak and salad with vinager oil dressing and my levels have stayed the same all night, no ups or downs, feeling much better tonight. so we'll see what the doc says tomorow. i just hope they will listen. thanks night everyone

georgie Enthusiast

Good to hear ! Beware of salad dressing and make sure there are no hidden nasties like sugar ....

I am feeling better too after my whole day of better eating. At 3pm I was craving sugar so badly so relented a tiny bit by having a small gluten-free bread roll. But I smothered it in butter and peanut butter and feel lots better with no hunger. I think the butter ( fat) is my missing ingedient. I think ( from memory) that I can tolerate some carbs in the day - just as long as fat and protein are eaten at the same time. Here's hoping ......

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

VydorScope Proficient

Goergie... YES that is normal, I believe I mentioned earlier in this thread.. carbs are ADDICTIVE. You are going through withdrawal. That is normal! Most ppl can break said addition in less then a week, even as fast as 3 days. You will be fine. Remember this is not ZERO carb, you do need some. How much will be a matter of trail and error. Try keeping it under say 50 or so carbs a day for a while and see how you do. make your Adjustments slowly as it may take a few days to get the impact. You will likely find your self eating greater quantity of food, but that is normal. As long as your weight is doing what you want, and your blood sugar is stable, eat all you want! :)

Just make sure you pick only good carbs like veggies. The more complex the carb the better. Stay away from fruit juices, they are almost pure sugar. If your in doubt use the Glycemic index, and pick foods lower on the list, but over time you will learn to tell the differences by how you feel. The index and other lists are ROUGH GUIDELINES as different people react differently to different foods.

Remember the ratio is around 60% of your calories from GOOD fat, 20-30% form animal protien, and balance in good carbs. If you are unclear on good fats this summary from Open Original Shared Link helps clear it up...

In summary, our choice of fats and oils is one of extreme importance. Most people, especially infants and growing children, benefit from more fat in the diet rather than less. But the fats we eat must be chosen with care. Avoid all processed foods containing newfangled hydrogenated fats and polyunsaturated oils. Instead, use traditional vegetable oils like extra virgin olive oil and small amounts of unrefined flax seed oil. Acquaint yourself with the merits of coconut oil for baking and with animal fats for occasional frying. Eat egg yolks and other animal fats with the proteins to which they are attached. And, finally, use as much good quality butter as you like, with the happy assurance that it is a wholesome—indeed, an essential—food for you and your whole family.

Organic butter, extra virgin olive oil, and expeller-expressed flax oil in opaque containers are available in health food stores and gourmet markets. Edible coconut oil can be found in Indian or Caribbean markets.

daily99 - thats good news. Bring your reading logs with you to your doctor. I do not know how they do it by you, but here they would refer you to an endocronologist (something like that LOL) for testing and evaluation. Track everything you do and what impact it has on you, and bring that with you. It will help them. :)

dally099 Contributor

hi, so i went to the ER this morning and the doc their said that its hypoglycemia. i need to add more protien to my diet to offset all the refined carbs u eat on the gluten-free diet. she said all my readings are in the normal level but i do dive down quickly and thats when i feel crappy. and she said to cut back on the carbs. any good books out there that can help with this? they didnt do the 5 hour test, but she did a fasting test. i also have high blood pressure, which she said is odd considering that im in good shape and healthy so she is going to have me do a 24 hr blood pressuring monitor. so thats how my day went. sort of pointless but not really. thanks for all the answeres here,

georgie Enthusiast
hi, so i went to the ER this morning and the doc their said that its hypoglycemia. i need to add more protien to my diet to offset all the refined carbs u eat on the gluten-free diet. she said all my readings are in the normal level but i do dive down quickly and thats when i feel crappy. and she said to cut back on the carbs. any good books out there that can help with this?

I posted this earlier. A book that helped me and is recommended by the Reactive Hypoglycemia list is "The Insulin Resistance Diet" by Dr Hart & Grossman. Good luck with the new diet. I found a good protein breakfast, and a good protein mid morning snack helps a lot. My problem now is dairy free as well as gluten-free. Hope you are not dairy free - as cheese and butter were great helps to me.

dally099 Contributor

hi, thanks i will amazon.ca that book, i can handle dairy as long as i take lactaid, cant have soy, i went to the health food store and ordered some protein shakes as well, that ill water down with milk, but for those times that you just dont feel like eating protein. we travel quite a bit so theyll be good for that as well.

VydorScope Proficient
hi, so i went to the ER this morning and the doc their said that its hypoglycemia. i need to add more protien to my diet to offset all the refined carbs u eat on the gluten-free diet. she said all my readings are in the normal level but i do dive down quickly and thats when i feel crappy. and she said to cut back on the carbs. any good books out there that can help with this? they didnt do the 5 hour test, but she did a fasting test. i also have high blood pressure, which she said is odd considering that im in good shape and healthy so she is going to have me do a 24 hr blood pressuring monitor. so thats how my day went. sort of pointless but not really. thanks for all the answeres here,

Yes! This one:

Overcoming Runaway Blood Sugar by Dennis Pollock

Open Original Shared Link

www.amazon .com/Overcoming-Runaway-Blood-Sugar-Hypoglycemics/dp/0736917217

Its very current, copyright 2006 even. :)

You still need to see your doc. A reading of over 180 is NOT NORMAL. Get on the low carb diet like we told you in this thread, read that book, and things should start leveling out.

I would guess your BP is high because you stressing out over this. :)

dally099 Contributor

well my blood pressure wasnt helped by the fact that i had not ate anything yet so i would be fasting, i wasnt to thrilled with the emerg doc she seemed to think that anything under 10(185) and over 3.5(63) was normal. so i will still get in to see my doc he is much better and listens well.

Archived