This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Snacks That Travel Well

ADevoto

ADevoto Explorer

We are traveling to Europe and was hoping that someone might have some ideas for snacks that we can take along. :lol:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Phyllis28 Apprentice

Below is a list of snacks I have taken on trips:

Enjoy Life snack bars - I like the Coco loco and Caremel Apple

Lara Bars

Nuts

Glutino Apple Bars (there are other flavors)

Nut and Fruit Bars (I don't remember the brand name)

I go to Wild Oats or WholeFoods before I travel to pick up snacks.

You might want to consider packing loaf of Food for Life Rice Almond Bread, a small jar of peanut butter and a small jar of jelly. The Food for Life Rice Almond Bread will last about 5 days unrefrigerated and does not crumble. If you do this bring along plastic knifes, paper towels and sandwich bags.

If you take an soft insultated lunch bag you might be able to pick up yogurt, cheese ect.. along the way. Yogurt and cheese will last until lunch if packed cold in the morning.

Have a super trip

jmd3 Contributor
We are traveling to Europe and was hoping that someone might have some ideas for snacks that we can take along. :lol:

I actually just got back from a trip...I took rice crackers, and cans of chicken and tuna, gluten-free pretzels, and stax potato chips, even propel water.... I even took applesauce and fruit packs in my suitcase...I was worried I would have a mess, but. I put everything in a box, and then into my suitcase. My hubby came up with the idea to put a note inside the suitcase with a doctors slip stating that I needed to carry wheat free food with me, along with a copy of my passport next to the dr's slip.. Everything traveled well but pirates booty - that popped for somereason, and the box of cookies were all smashed...but it was still good. Watch your weight in the suitcase...it is $26.00 more I believe if you are over 50 pounds....they let me slide, mine weighed 51.5 pounds going.

I took fruit cups, and gluten-free pretzels, and almonds right on the plane in my carry on....

Good-Luck and have FUN!!

Annaem Enthusiast

I bring bags of microwavable popcorn if you have a microwave. Or pop it yourself and put it in a ziplock

-cans of tuna

- fruit cups

- fruit snacks (like a fruit roll up)

- Im not sure if its Sam's or Cosco but i get the individually packed salad dressings and peanut butter from Kraft, also jelly from Smuckers. That way you can bring a handful with you without taking up too much room, or stick some in your purse.

Karen B. Explorer

I just finished making tuna salad (tuna, mayo and pico de gallo) and realized that I hadn't mentioned the sealed packages of meat that are available when I posted comments the last someone asked about travel food. But now you can take along packs of tuna, chicken or salmon that don't require a can opener. I have lemon pepper tuna steaks, BBQ chicken breast, salmon and tuna in my pantry. These would travel well with crackers. Deli packets of mayo and pickle relish can make a quick tuna or chicken salad. Also, Spam and Turkey Spam singles are good for traveling. If you'll have access to a microwave, the packages of prepared rice are travel friendly. All of this can go with you in your carry on luggage. Apples and oranges travel well too (if packed properly).

When I travel, my luggage includes a bag with small plastic crates inside to protect tostada shells, crackers and cookies. I take along cans of Taco Bell fat-free re-fried beans for a quick, safe meal in a pinch. And yes, it's a good idea to include a copy of your doctor's letter stating that you have Celiac and must eat a gluten free diet. Everytime I've flown since 9/11, Homeland Security has been in my luggage to make sure the canned goods are legit (since they won't show up on X-ray).

Also, on the trip out, Chebe rolls made with parmesan cheese and adding baking powder will be good for 3 days without refrigeration. Day 4, they are kind of stale unless you can heat them in a microwave. Make sure you let them air (wrapped in a tea towel) for at least 12 hours before putting them in a ziploc but they are durable and don't fall apart like rice flour based bread. They make a nice change from crackers.

StrongerToday Enthusiast

They now make little containers of Jiff peanut butter that would travel well. You could even take them on the plane to have w/ an apple or rice cakes. Be sure to check the fluid ounces allowed to take on a plane - they confiscated my small bottle of Pepto because it was too big.

gymnastjlf Enthusiast

Speaking about traveling on the airplane, can someone clarify what is "technically" allowed in your checked bag in terms of food?

I've gone on two round-trip trips in the past few months. One time I made it on with yogurt (not allowed, I found out afterwards), another time they took the yogurt. I know that individually wrapped granola bars are okay, but what about things like:

- Fresh fruit/veggies (not individually packaged)-- one airport took my banana!

- Non-individually wrapped snack foods (pretzels, cookies, rice cakes)

- Cheese cubes

I just got back from a cross country trip, and I was QUITE jealous of the woman sitting next to me snacking on pasta salad and a freshly baked muffin when I had.... a rice cake and granola bar! All I really wanted was some fresh fruit, the woman behind me had grapes, but after having my banana confiscated last time, I was under the impression fresh produce wasn't allowed, though TSA's website never says one way or another.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Mango04 Enthusiast
Speaking about traveling on the airplane, can someone clarify what is "technically" allowed in your checked bag in terms of food?

I've gone on two round-trip trips in the past few months. One time I made it on with yogurt (not allowed, I found out afterwards), another time they took the yogurt. I know that individually wrapped granola bars are okay, but what about things like:

- Fresh fruit/veggies (not individually packaged)-- one airport took my banana!

- Non-individually wrapped snack foods (pretzels, cookies, rice cakes)

- Cheese cubes

I just got back from a cross country trip, and I was QUITE jealous of the woman sitting next to me snacking on pasta salad and a freshly baked muffin when I had.... a rice cake and granola bar! All I really wanted was some fresh fruit, the woman behind me had grapes, but after having my banana confiscated last time, I was under the impression fresh produce wasn't allowed, though TSA's website never says one way or another.

I honestly don't think the rules regarding food are very clearly defined. I could be wrong, but it really seems to depend on which airport you're flying out of and who is inspecting your luggage. I always order the raw vegetarian meal so I'll at least have fresh fruits and veggies with whatever else I bring on the plane to eat (I can't believe they took your banana :o)

jmd3 Contributor

If you were traveling from one country to another, you can not take fresh fruit with you...Believe it or not, you can get a big fine if you are caught coming into another country with it. .I have watched dogs search just for fresh fruit when I have flown internationally. That can be scary when dogs are running up and down aisles, and then they just stop and sit where they want the immigration police to search.

Don't be afraid to call the TSA if you are traveling if you are a us citizen, I have done that on occasion if I have questions....they also have a website that you can visit. Open Original Shared Link

Mango04 Enthusiast
If you were traveling from one country to another, you can not take fresh fruit with you...Believe it or not, you can get a big fine if you are caught coming into another country with it. .I have watched dogs search just for fresh fruit when I have flown internationally. That can be scary when dogs are running up and down aisles, and then they just stop and sit where they want the immigration police to search.

Don't be afraid to call the TSA if you are traveling if you are a us citizen, I have done that on occasion if I have questions....they also have a website that you can visit. Open Original Shared Link

You can take fruit as long as you're planning on eating on the plane though, right?

blueeyedmanda Community Regular

Glutino pretzels

francelajoie Explorer

My favorite is ham and cheese rollups with a little spicy brown mustard. I also like turkey rollups with roasted red peppers and avocado.

gymnastjlf Enthusiast

When they took my banana, I was traveling from Philly to either Wisconsin or Michigan. Same with the yogurt. I guess it really does depend on where you're traveling from... when I flew out of JFK last week, my mom made it through with a box cutter (isn't that scary!). She uses them all the time for work, and it was stuck in one of the little pockets of her bag that she forgot about. We got to the hotel at our destination, she pulled it out and we were both shocked that security didn't pick up on it. Can't say that made us feel too secure...

lonewolf Collaborator
my mom made it through with a box cutter (isn't that scary!). She uses them all the time for work, and it was stuck in one of the little pockets of her bag that she forgot about. We got to the hotel at our destination, she pulled it out and we were both shocked that security didn't pick up on it. Can't say that made us feel too secure...

I made it through security with a Swiss Army knife and my MIL was stopped because her underwire bra made the detector beep. (We were together.) I've never felt too confident of the security system anywhere after that.

Archived