Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

angel_jd1

Chex Mix

Ok. I have made chex mix before. I made the orig version (using rice and corn crunch'ems). It was good. Now I am craving maybe a ranch flavor kind. Any good recipes?? Or even recipes for other flavors. I'd love to hear them!!

Oh here is my next challenge. I can't have nuts right now (diverticulitis) so give me some other things to put in there....I am thinking maybe cornnuts!! What are your ideas?

Thanks in advance for the help!!

-Jessica :rolleyes:

Jessica

Gluten Free since 12-31-2002!!

Kansas

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I always add the small glutino pretzels with good results.

Can't help with other flavors, since the 'classic' version is my favorite.

Pam

My kids and I were just talking about this. I used to put those baby saltine crackers in there (my store called them oyster crackers)...anyway....we have been trying to think of a substitute. My daughter likes the Nature's Path puffed corn cereal - it's like pop corn without the kernal in it. It's really neat - i bet it would work great in a chex type mix.

:)

My kids and I were just talking about this. I used to put those baby saltine crackers in there (my store called them oyster crackers)...anyway....we have been trying to think of a substitute. My daughter likes the Nature's Path puffed corn cereal - it's like pop corn without the kernal in it. It's really neat - i bet it would work great in a chex type mix.

:)

Oh gosh I had forgotten ALL about those little oyster crackers...and people would coat them with some sort of a ranch seasoning and those were SO good.

I also used to love the Munchee's mix from Lay's....has sun chips, nacho dorritos, all kinds of gluteny things! ha

I'm still pondering what to make and how to make it.......keep the ideas comming!!

Jessica

Kansas

Different ways I've heard about:

Use mexican taco seasoning instead of seasoned salt - and don't use the worchestershire.

Another way was to use an asian seasoning mix (like 5 spice powder), and use soy sauce (San-J Wheat Free Tamari is gluten free) instead of the worchestershire.

For sweet ones I've heard to use peanut butter instead of butter (but still melt it) then in a baggie, mix powdered sugar and cocoa together (I think equal parts). Coat the cereals and stuff with the peanut butter well and then shake in the baggie - I'm not sure that you bake this one after coating like you do the others. But I think they're called "muddy buddies".

I've often thought what it would be liek to make them more of a cinnamon sugar and use butter and then bake them a little....of course....I guess it would taste alot like a cinnamon cereal! LOL :D

couldn't you use those little hidden valley or whatever packets of ranch flavoring (that you're supposed to mix with sour cream)? i'm not sure if they're gluten-free i don't really use them, but that's what i thought of cause i know my mom uses them for different things. good luck!

agree on the glutino pretzals--delish!

Chex is gluten free?!?!?!?!

Sweetfudge

Born and raised in Portland, OR; Currently living in Provo, UT

Gluten-free since June 2006

Also living with Hypoglycemia since 1991

Dairy-free for good since summer 2008

Started IBS diet and probiotics at GI's recommendation - Fall 2008

Also avoiding: potatoes, beans, crucifers, popcorn, most red meat, coconut milk :(

Started eating a Paleo diet Spring 2011. Love it!

The grass is always greener where you water it.

No but you can make your own with Health Valley's Corn Crunch'ems and Rice Crunch'ems. We use the glutino pretzels, too.

A friend of mine made a spicy version with frank's hot sauce and chili powder added. I'll take a look and see if I can find it. It was flamin' !!! but good!!!

Janet

Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted.

animal0028.gif

Chex is gluten free?!?!?!?!

NO!!!! It contains Barley Extract. They actual "Chex" ARE NOT GLUTEN FREE!!! Sorry to be emphatic.

Health Vally Rice & Corn Chrunchems are. And they are BETTER than real live Chex. Even my kids like them better. :D

For ranch flavored Chex mix I would use butter and a packet of ranch flavoring mix. I think Hidden Valley's is gluten free, but I'm not sure. Cool Ranch Doritos would be really good in a ranch flavored chex mix.

On the side of the boxes of Crunch Ems there's an awesome recipe for honey nut Chex mix. This is what our family always makes because it is so darn good. If you haven't tried it already, I highly recommend it. It would be good even without the nuts.

Are soy nuts real nuts? Perhaps you could use them. Sunflower seeds would be good in chex mix. Raisins might also be good in a sweet version of chex mix.

~Angie~

Gluten free since May 2004

Lots of good sounding ideas......keep them comming. I haven't had time to make my chex mix yet hehe

Jessica

Kansas

I think Hidden Valley's is gluten free, but I'm not sure. Cool Ranch Doritos would be really good in a ranch flavored chex mix.

Huh - the last I had heard, Hidden Valley's dry packet was NOT gluten free. Maybe I'm wrong, though. It'd be great if it was... My mom (also celiac) uses Simply Organic Ranch Dip mix instead of the Hidden Valley kind. I haven't tried it yet, but she says it's pretty tasty.

hm, never heard of the health valley brand. i'll have to look for them :D cuz i love and miss chex tons! and crispix while i'm at it!!!!

Sweetfudge

Born and raised in Portland, OR; Currently living in Provo, UT

Gluten-free since June 2006

Also living with Hypoglycemia since 1991

Dairy-free for good since summer 2008

Started IBS diet and probiotics at GI's recommendation - Fall 2008

Also avoiding: potatoes, beans, crucifers, popcorn, most red meat, coconut milk :(

Started eating a Paleo diet Spring 2011. Love it!

The grass is always greener where you water it.

I am FINALLY getting time to make my chex mix today. Here is what I decided to put in it :)

Rice Crunch'ems

Corn Crunch'ems

Ener-g pretzles

corn nuts

Cheetos

It's in the oven now baking.....smells good!! I hope it tastes good too :) Thanks for all the great ideas and suggestions. Next time I am going to try a ranch flavor. This is just the regular ol chex mix this time.

Jessica

Kansas

I am FINALLY getting time to make my chex mix today. Here is what I decided to put in it :)

Rice Crunch'ems

Corn Crunch'ems

Ener-g pretzles

corn nuts

Cheetos

It's in the oven now baking.....smells good!! I hope it tastes good too :) Thanks for all the great ideas and suggestions. Next time I am going to try a ranch flavor. This is just the regular ol chex mix this time.

Sounds really great, Enjoy!!! I can't eat the cheetos anymore, the msg tears me up, almost as bad as gluten.

Feb 9, 07 - Positive gene test D2 -Celiac Disease and Positive D3 for Gluten Sensitivity-Double Whammy!

Positive blood test for antibodies for celiac

SEVERE Gluten Ataxia - trouble speaking - could not even turn my head side to side - almost bedridden

March 07 - 2 different doctors have documented my records as confirmed Celiac

Oct 07 - found a secret to feeling better - no processed foods - The healing comes from eating raw vegetables, and fruits!

Husband - tested = celiac gene+diabetes gene

3 children-

youngest - doc wont test has w/ Hashimoto Disease

middle- tested = celiac gene+lymphoma gene - dx-celiac

oldest - ignores warnings

Chex mix tastes great. I really LOVE the cheetos in it!! I'll have to remember to do that again. The mix is terribly addicting!!

I took a picture of it and made it my avatar for a while haha

Jessica

Kansas

Sounds really great, Enjoy!!! I can't eat the cheetos anymore, the msg tears me up, almost as bad as gluten.

Have you tried the CHEETOS Natural White Cheddar Puffs?

http://www.fritolay.com/fl/flstore/cgi-bin...ProdID_3080.htm

They're good! (I can't have MSG either)

Karen B.

diagnosed with Celiac Nov. 2003

couldn't you use those little hidden valley or whatever packets of ranch flavoring (that you're supposed to mix with sour cream)? i'm not sure if they're gluten-free i don't really use them, but that's what i thought of cause i know my mom uses them for different things. good luck!

agree on the glutino pretzals--delish!

I called the company several weeks ago as I was craving my mom's raw veggie dip and Hidden Valley is gluten free.

Yellow Rose

27 years of misdiognoses

seziures summer of 1979 lasted 10 years had maybe a dozen in that time Dr.s never could find what was causing them blamed it on lack of sleep and maybe nutrasweet

rheumatoid arthritis May 1980

wrist joint replacement Jan 1984

fibromyalgia May 1980

insomnia since the 80's

diarrhea 1995-2000 blamed on arthritis meds

Crohn's 1998 after two operations to fix fissures caused by the diarrhea

Other symptons over the last 27 years that have been treated for symptoms not causes:

depression, anemia, constipation, tooth discoloration, tremors in hands, tingling and numbness in feet and hands, fatigue, high blood pressure due to arthritus meds, flushing in face, severe muscle pain and thinking I was going crazy thanks to Dr.'s attitudes.

After diognoses my mother tells me I have an aunt and a cousin with Celiac. Mother tested negative but thinks she is intolerant to wheat and is changing her diet.

Suspect all three of my children have it as well but still trying to convince them to go get tested.

In answer to my prayer, "Lord Please Heal My Broken Body". May 2007 Celiac antibody test positive

Matthew 7: 8 Ask and ye shall receive, Seek and ye shall find, Knock and it shall be opened unto you.