Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SunnyDyRain

Put Me Out Of My Misery...

I am so frustrated with my body. Today is the third day in a row I am bloated, gassy and having D. I cannot figure out what is doing this to me.! I am ok everyday until I put something in my stomach. Look here:

Monday I started using new Toothpaste (AquaFresh Sensitive with whitening), this was to the replace the Colgate total I was using me last week that was making me feel like barfing. That was to replace the sensodyne that I just found out about gluten. However monday I felt ok.

Tuesday: Toothpaste, Coffee with silk soy milk. Salad with red wine vinegar as dressing. Butter free salt free popcorn, pork with and potatoes (both prepared by me in my home with all Gluten-free Casein-free ingredients).

Wendsday: Toothpaste Coffee with soy milk. French fries (baked at my home - nuked at work), Hotdogs, fried potatoes. some Trix.

Thursday: No TOOTHPASTE, NO COFFEE brown rice, dried cherries.

All three days my stomach started to get gassy and grumbly after coffee, but today I skipped coffee all together.. then it just started when i ate my rice. I am getting so frustrated. I just totally bindged on hot wings and blue cheese dressing! I shouldn't be eating casiens, but I am so frustrated that If I avoid them i'm still sick, so why does it matter if I avoid them? I'm sick no matter what. My boyfriend thinks this is all in my head that i'm worrying about what i'm eating, and make myself sick over it. He tells me over and over that I may just be sick that some people get gas and D without anything wrong.

I hate being sick I hate this.

Dx 3/23/07

Gluten free 3/27/07

Intolerant:

Gluten

MSG

Allergies:

Ragweed

Honeydew

Cantalope

Nickel (jewelry)

Dx'd Lymphocytic Colitis 6/16/08

I am a bad silly-yak!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Guest j_mommy

Do you have any other stress(not stress about what you are eating or not eating)...life/work stress ect?????

Are you sure you don't have some kind of bug???

I used Crest toothpaste and Arm and Hammer peroxicare with no problems. I don't drink coffee so I cannot help there either.

The one thing that it could be, maybe you actually have a stomach virus right now, there is a nasty one going around, a lot of my coworkers have been sick with it and they all had the same symptoms you mentioned the gas, bloating, and the wonderful D.

Being sick does suck, a lot of people think that I worry too much and that is why I don't feel good. Sometimes, I wonder if they are right...if you have been recently diagnosed, maybe your body has not healed enough to tolerate all foods yet, so you can try keeping things bland for awhile and see if maybe that helps.

Hope you feel better soon :)

~~~~Gluten Free since 9/2004~~~~~~

Friends may come and go but Sillies are Forever!!!!!!!

36_22_10[1].gif

IF your toothpaste were the culprit, you may still feel glutened even a day or so later even if you didn't use the toothpaste. Most people feel bad for a few days after a glutening. Especially if it's a repeated glutening.

I have no clue if your toothpaste is gluten free or not, just thought you might wanna think about that. Also, I agree w/ the others. It could definitely just be a stomach bug. Especially if it's lasted a few days.

~Angie~

Gluten free since May 2004

Sounds like me and my candida. It's very common for a celiac who got pretty bad.

Try replacing the vinegar-only dressing w/ fresh-squeezed lemon juice & extra virgin olive oil w/ salt/pepper and I like to add crushed garlic.

I also went sugar & sweetener free before finding the real issue, since it had become obvious sweet=pain.

I had to go on what I thought of as a 'chick diet'. I'm a man. But it was all salads & boneless skinless chicken breast & fish. No other meats as animal fat would feed the candida.

Now I looooooooove my salmon - broiled to perfection so it's not dried out in the least.

U should at least look into a strict anti-candida diet and try it to see how u feel. I felt better on day1, but I've heard ppl say it was for days or 1 week for them.

Loads of resources online.

We're all rootin' for ya.

P.S. Even the raw veggies sensitivity fits! Just the tiniest bit of invisible to the naked-eye bit of mold is trouble. But I was fine w/ some frozen, cuz of that flash-freezing they do so quickly after harvest.

The broccoli-caulifl mix is my fave. W/ salt/pepper & fresh-squeezed lemonjuice, it's great. It aint so great to me w/out the lemju.

>>>>>>> tom <<<<<<<

Celiac 1st diagnosed as a toddler, in the 60s. Docs then, between bloodletting & leech-tending, said "he'll grow out of it" & I was back on gluten & mostly fine for 30yrs.

Gluten-free since 12-03

Dairy-free since 10-04

Soy-free since 5-07

tom's right. Bloated and gassy sounds like candida.

In the beginning of the diet, I had to eat very simply, and quite honestly, foods I didn't like (overcooked veggies, yuck). I needed soft foods ... lots of chicken soup -- homemade with veggies. I also ate eggs, other lean meats, lots of veggies.

After a time I could tolerate more. Now I find a bowl of raspberries to be about as sweet as I can handle.

Try eating simpler foods like you would after you've had the flu. Also take probiotics and avoid sugar and simple carbs.

gluten-free 12/05

diagnosed with Lyme Disease 12/06

do call on the toothpaste... there are two I know of w/ gluten, and that might be the other one I keep forgetting about

Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"

Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy

G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004

Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me

Bellevue, WA

Things are still at it today, all I did use my toothpaste today, it didn't seem to bother me too much, but my coffee has made my tummy rumble. It has tons of sugar in it... so the candidia kinda sounds probable. Is it curable? Can it be tested for? Will do some research.

Last night my boyfriend had problems also, so he is convinced it's a bug. I'm still not sold. Actually he told me I gave him my celiac. Bah... I wish it was so easy!

I'm going to my parents house for the weekend again, I usally get sick there anyway (gluten filled house with people who don't understand how careful I need to be), Monday I will try a sugar free, gluten free, dairy free diet.

Oh, why is vinegar bad?

Dx 3/23/07

Gluten free 3/27/07

Intolerant:

Gluten

MSG

Allergies:

Ragweed

Honeydew

Cantalope

Nickel (jewelry)

I am a bad silly-yak!

Do you have any other stress(not stress about what you are eating or not eating)...life/work stress ect?????

Are you sure you don't have some kind of bug???

I always have stress in my life, I stress about everything all the time. If I don't have stress I feel naked. Right now I am stressing about trying to find a new job and my parents are planning on moving from Pennsylvania to Hawaii in a few monthes. Also that my boyfriend of 4.5 years STILL won't marry me and we are living in a tiny one bedroom apartment with a crappy tiny kitchen that makes food preperation impossible, and everytime he opens a damn beer he leaves the cap laying on the counter!

Yeah.. stress.. but It's normal... If i'm not pissed off at someone i'm not happy.

Dx 3/23/07

Gluten free 3/27/07

Intolerant:

Gluten

MSG

Allergies:

Ragweed

Honeydew

Cantalope

Nickel (jewelry)

I am a bad silly-yak!

I always have stress in my life, I stress about everything all the time. If I don't have stress I feel naked. Right now I am stressing about trying to find a new job and my parents are planning on moving from Pennsylvania to Hawaii in a few monthes. Also that my boyfriend of 4.5 years STILL won't marry me and we are living in a tiny one bedroom apartment with a crappy tiny kitchen that makes food preperation impossible, and everytime he opens a damn beer he leaves the cap laying on the counter!

Yeah.. stress.. but It's normal... If i'm not pissed off at someone i'm not happy.

HMC is always hiring and your full benefits start they day you go to orientation.

36_22_10[1].gif

HMC is always hiring and your full benefits start they day you go to orientation.

Thanks for the Heads up, I have no medical experince, (other than i'm always sick!) and I looked through the jobs, only one I'd maybe be qualified for is Data Entry, but I'm really overqualfied for that. I have a VERY hard time finding jobs, I have a BA in Psych, so I deserve to get paid more than the average HS grad but I have no Experince in psych, all my experince is accounting and IT. I don't have a IT degree, so I don't qualify for real IT jobs, I don't have an accounting degree, so I don't qualify for most accounting jobs. I do have 2 interviews on tuesday, so we will see how things go. I'm worried both will pay little, or have no benefits.

Dx 3/23/07

Gluten free 3/27/07

Intolerant:

Gluten

MSG

Allergies:

Ragweed

Honeydew

Cantalope

Nickel (jewelry)

I am a bad silly-yak!

Thanks for the Heads up, I have no medical experince, (other than i'm always sick!) and I looked through the jobs, only one I'd maybe be qualified for is Data Entry, but I'm really overqualfied for that. I have a VERY hard time finding jobs, I have a BA in Psych, so I deserve to get paid more than the average HS grad but I have no Experince in psych, all my experince is accounting and IT. I don't have a IT degree, so I don't qualify for real IT jobs, I don't have an accounting degree, so I don't qualify for most accounting jobs. I do have 2 interviews on tuesday, so we will see how things go. I'm worried both will pay little, or have no benefits.

They train for alot of their positions. I actually have an IT degree. Everything I learned, I picked up working in the Lab as a Specimen Processor. It helped me to take my new job.

36_22_10[1].gif

I did some reading at WholeApproach.com, anyone know if this is a reputable site?

I can totally see this being my problem now, Last weekend I ate SO much fruit and vinegar. I usally never eat much fruit, I just started now with it because I am Gluten-free Casein-free. I have also been lax on artifical sweetener ban, It started with a sneaky Jones Soda, then just snowballed into 3 cans of diet pepsi tuesday night.

This looks like a long process, If it came on quickly, can it leave quickly? I really am enjoying fruit as an alternitive to other snacks. Do I need to follow it for life?

I feel better (mentally) knowing there may be something else I can do to feel better! Also I will be seeing my doctor in a week or so and I'll bounce that off her.

Dx 3/23/07

Gluten free 3/27/07

Intolerant:

Gluten

MSG

Allergies:

Ragweed

Honeydew

Cantalope

Nickel (jewelry)

I am a bad silly-yak!

Yes, Whole Approach is a good site! Theoretically, you would not have to eat strictly for life with candida, but you definitely have to give it a good LONG course. And, in my opinion it is best to limit simple sugars regardless of a candida issue anyway.

Talking with your doctor is probably a good idea, though many don't "believe" in candida. Fortunately all my doctors do. There are tests that can be run...not sure which is considered the best though.

Oh, why is vinegar bad?

It's fermented. Fermented things are as bad as straight sugar candida-wise as far as I'm concerned. Not sure if the process involved in each's badness is the same, I just found out very quickly that both made for more trouble and faster than anything else when I was at my "hey it's candida" point.

So no vinegar of any type. No alcohol. Nothing w/ vanilla extract (alcohol). Certainly no fancy cheese and I'd start w/ no cheese at all anyway. It'd be silly to do just ALMOST everything and still be having those symptoms, after that much effort.

It's not easy, but it is temporary. And the 1st day that u feel great u realize it's more worthwhile than I-dont-know-what, but it's pretty darn worthwhile. LOL :lol:

But all of this is speculation. It just 100% reminded me of me when I had candida.

No real downside to trying the diet asap - bummer that the wkend will be so diet-unfriendly.

You should be able to get at a minimum, a real good inkling about whether it's candida w/ the diet instead of making no changes and waiting for an appt.

Good luck this wkend & beyond!

>>>>>>> tom <<<<<<<

Celiac 1st diagnosed as a toddler, in the 60s. Docs then, between bloodletting & leech-tending, said "he'll grow out of it" & I was back on gluten & mostly fine for 30yrs.

Gluten-free since 12-03

Dairy-free since 10-04

Soy-free since 5-07

Maybe you can start by cutting out the soy, coffee, sugar and dried fruit and just see if that helps. All of those things bother me (but I can handle small amounts of dried fruit).

I have heard that one brand of AquaFresh contains gluten. I don't know if it's true though and I can't find my source...

"Let food be thy medicine, and let thy medicine be food." - Hippocrates

Maybe you can start by cutting out the soy, coffee, sugar and dried fruit and just see if that helps. All of those things bother me (but I can handle small amounts of dried fruit).

I have heard that one brand of AquaFresh contains gluten. I don't know if it's true though and I can't find my source...

If cut out soy, I have no idea what I could eat. I use soy milk, i have tried other milks, and they don't work. I use soy sauce (gluten-free of Course) on my rice. I use Soy sauce on my chicken and pork. I snack on soy nuts and i'm not going to go into the soy hidden in the things i eat.

I think I saw an e-mail here from GSK saying sensodyne had gluten in it, but they reccomended aquafresh sensitive whitening as an alternitive, that is why I got it.

Dx 3/23/07

Gluten free 3/27/07

Intolerant:

Gluten

MSG

Allergies:

Ragweed

Honeydew

Cantalope

Nickel (jewelry)

I am a bad silly-yak!

If cut out soy, I have no idea what I could eat. I use soy milk, i have tried other milks, and they don't work. I use soy sauce (gluten-free of Course) on my rice. I use Soy sauce on my chicken and pork. I snack on soy nuts and i'm not going to go into the soy hidden in the things i eat.

I think I saw an e-mail here from GSK saying sensodyne had gluten in it, but they reccomended aquafresh sensitive whitening as an alternitive, that is why I got it.

Do you think the soy could be what's bothering you then? :( When I eat that much soy I have all the symptoms you described in your first post of this thread. I know cutting out soy is a bummer. I actually miss soy more than I miss gluten and dairy :rolleyes:

I use soy milk, i have tried other milks, and they don't work. I use soy sauce (gluten-free of Course) on my rice. I use Soy sauce on my chicken and pork. I snack on soy nuts and i'm not going to go into the soy hidden in the things i eat.

That's a lot of soy.

And potentially ALSO fits a candida theory. Somehow it's able to create cravings for exactly the things that are worst for you.

And soy sauce is in the 'fermented=no-no' category.

I'm in a no-soy test right now and found I like WestSoy's Ricemilk and, of all the crazy things, LivingHarvest's Hempmilk!! And I think Pacific Natural Foods' hazelnutmilk and almondmilk are fine for me too.

Gotta read all the fine print to avoid sweeteners. The ricemilk doesn't have any, but the others might have brown rice syrup which used to bother me but is ok now.

>>>>>>> tom <<<<<<<

Gluten-free since 12-03

Dairy-free since 10-04

Soy-free since 5-07

If I can weigh in here--I'm thinking it could be the soy, too. Soy affects me in the way that you describe feeling. Coffee also gives me cramps and D. I can drink tea fine, though.

I don't know if I have a candida issue, but I'm definately intolerant to soy--it's not at all unsuual for a Celiac to be intolerant to soy.

I use Pacific Almond milk--the original and the vanilla. It's really good, and does not contain soy.

I would try omitting the soy, dried fruit and the coffee and see if you don't feel better.

There's lots of other things to eat--I am soy, corn, legume, dairy, tapioca and coconut free (as well as gluten) and I eat well. Let me know if I can be of any more help--it's hard giving up all of your familiar foods, but it's worth it to figure out what is making you sick.

Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

I'm willing to give soy a try, but I really need ideas then on how to flavor stuff. I probally use about 1/4 cup of soy milk a day in my coffee. I used to have problems with coffee, went to decaf, problems got better went back to half reg half decaf without a problem i that was before going gluten-free. i think that was the fact I was eating those yummy tastycake powered doughnuts with them.. who knows all bets are off on anything being safe for me anymore.

But soy sauce... what else can you put on rice? I only heard of 3 things on rice, butter(casien), gravy (gluten/msg), and soy sauce. I have reciepie for rice and shrimp but i can't affrod to eat shimp every day. I tried organic broths instead of water, and still the flavor is weak. I usally cook with soy sauce to add flavor (or cover up flavors that i tried to cook with that sucked REALLY bad).

I eat rice almost every day for lunch, I need some flavor.

Although on the plus side, cutting out soy sauce will probally help my BP, though i do use low sodium.

On a funny note... i just flipped out on my mom for buying me rice cakes and soy milk.... she really thinks i'm a paranoid hypocondriac now. they were quaker rice cakes.... and silk soy milk.

Dx 3/23/07

Gluten free 3/27/07

Intolerant:

Gluten

MSG

Allergies:

Ragweed

Honeydew

Cantalope

Nickel (jewelry)

I am a bad silly-yak!

can't help too much with the coffee as I drink tea, but perhaps hemp milk? or dari-free? I know there's a soy free milk alternative out there...

as for rice, there are two things I'd suggest. one is letting your tastebuds adapt to less strongly flavored food. yes - they will. second, is pairing the rice with veggies (cooked) and meats that provide the flavor on their own, such as a sautee. but if you're looking for just plain rice that's not plain rice:

* earth balance non-dairy margarine (yes, it's casein free)

* bouillion instead of broth - use as much as you like

* herbs in addition to bouillion

* aromatics like garlic or onions

* curries and other savory spices

Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"

Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy

G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004

Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me

Bellevue, WA

can't help too much with the coffee as I drink tea, but perhaps hemp milk? or dari-free? I know there's a soy free milk alternative out there...

as for rice, there are two things I'd suggest. one is letting your tastebuds adapt to less strongly flavored food. yes - they will. second, is pairing the rice with veggies (cooked) and meats that provide the flavor on their own, such as a sautee. but if you're looking for just plain rice that's not plain rice:

* earth balance non-dairy margarine (yes, it's casein free)

* bouillion instead of broth - use as much as you like

* herbs in addition to bouillion

* aromatics like garlic or onions

* curries and other savory spices

hrm.. so there is non-dairy margerine you say.. awesome. I often wondered if there was one.. but didnt feel like spending half an hour looking at tub after tub of the stuff getting increasingly frustrated and having a breakdown in the store.

Now that you mention onions.. i have an idea.

I use a rice cooker to cook my rice... if I preheat it, add some butter and onions to the bottonm and fry them up and once they are cooked... i can add the rice and broth....

I have garlic juice i tried once,, had very little flavor, but stunk the apartment up for days!

Dx 3/23/07

Gluten free 3/27/07

Intolerant:

Gluten

MSG

Allergies:

Ragweed

Honeydew

Cantalope

Nickel (jewelry)

I am a bad silly-yak!

Seasame oil and plum vinegar is really good on rice.

Or...when cooking white jasmine rice, replace half of the water with coconut milk. Cook the rice like you normally would, then add chopped cilantro at the end. Yum.

Or....add some lentils to your rice (do half lentils, half rice) and add olive oil, balsamic vinegar and sea salt after it's cooked. (I guesss all this vinegar wouldn't work on a candida diet. But, with all the soy you eat, that really might be the problem.)

You can still have every kind of herb, a high quality sea salt (such as celtic grey) will add tons of flavor to foods, and good olive oils help too. Sometimes I saute food in lemon olive oil. Chile pepper brings out tons of flavor in foods as well.

Seasame oil and plum vinegar is really good on rice.

Or...when cooking white jasmine rice, replace half of the water with coconut milk. Cook the rice like you normally would, then add chopped cilantro at the end. Yum.

Or....add some lentils to your rice (do half lentils, half rice) and add olive oil, balsamic vinegar and sea salt after it's cooked. (I guesss all this vinegar wouldn't work on a candida diet. But, with all the soy you eat, that really might be the problem.)

You can still have every kind of herb, a high quality sea salt (such as celtic grey) will add tons of flavor to foods, and good olive oils help too. Sometimes I saute food in lemon olive oil. Chile pepper brings out tons of flavor in foods as well.

I'm noticing the soy alot now too.. Last weekend I ate alot of soy milk and icecream

I wonder if i could just get away with limiting soy, not eliminating, like no soy products, but no worry about soy ingrediants? I guess only time and eliminating it will tell.

Dx 3/23/07

Gluten free 3/27/07

Intolerant:

Gluten

MSG

Allergies:

Ragweed

Honeydew

Cantalope

Nickel (jewelry)

I am a bad silly-yak!