Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jmd3

Annatto Coloring

Annatto Coloring - is this a hidden form of Gluten? I saw on someones page that it was - does anyone know for sure? i didn't think that it was, but need to know for sure, thanks in advance.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Annatto is a gluten-free ingredient.

Wikipedia link

Annatto, sometimes called Roucou, is a derivative of the achiote trees of tropical regions of the Americas, used to produce a red food coloring and also as a flavoring. It scent is described as "slightly peppery with a hint of nutmeg" and flavor as "slightly sweet and peppery"[1].

Some of the older texts/sources do say it is not gluten-free, but this is untrue.

if you have questions about ingredients, you really should read Dr. Greens book, the hidden epidemic (this isn't an add, i just found it very helpful, it was like my bible at first, it cleared up a ton of the celiac myths!) and if i'm not mistaken thats where i learned that anatto was ok!

if you have questions about ingredients, you really should read Dr. Greens book, the hidden epidemic (this isn't an add, i just found it very helpful, it was like my bible at first, it cleared up a ton of the celiac myths!) and if i'm not mistaken thats where i learned that anatto was ok!

I didn't think Annatto Coloring had gluten - I found a site that had a ton of things that did not have gluten but are listed as having it ... I just wanted to make sure.

Thanks for the book suggestion. I am reading gluten for dummies right now, it's a good book too!

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A17):
    Celiac.com Sponsor (A17):

Celiac.com Sponsors (A17):

• Forum Discussions

Chances are if you have lumps on your body for years and the Dr. isn't concerned they're probably not lymph nodes. Chronically swollen lymph nodes would be something every Dr. would be concerned with.  Chances are you just have cysts ...
    It's different  for everyone, it can be a month or maybe a year. Most probably within a few months. This is assuming the symptoms are in fact related to gluten, which they may not be. 
    Hi Laura I'm so pleased you found answers.  This is very encouraging.  Seven years on from my own diagnosis I wish I could have some vitamin and mineral screening, I'm sure I'm still deficient. Cristiana