Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guhlia

Testing For Lactose And Casein Intolerances

Lately I'm suspecting that I have some sort of a lactose or casein intolerance. Its really hard to tell because I'm 8 months pregnant. I could just be having irregular, painful contractions I suppose. It feels to me though like Celiac pains. I know I'm not getting glutened, so I'm looking elsewhere. Is there any other way to test for a true casein intolerance other than an elimination diet? Is there any way to test for lactose intolerance at home? I really don't want anything additional on my medical records.

Angie,

One of the things that I have heard is to do a milk challenge of sorts. If you know you react to plain milk, then try drinking lactaid milk (and no other dairy products before or after). If you do ok with it, then it indicates it is a lactose problem, versus a casein problem.

I'm assuming Quest would have to go through my doctor, right?

I think maybe I'll just go ahead and go through Enterolab. I forgot that they tested for other intolerances. I seem to be able to get away with eating anything with dairy, even cheese, but as soon as I take a few sips of milk I get the same old Celiac type cramping and soft stools. I am SO hoping it's just the pregnancy, but I guess I know in my heart it probably isn't. I've suspected a dairy problem of some sort for quite some time now, I just never had any real symptoms to back up my suspicions.

Do you guys think I should wait until I'm not pregnant before pursuing testing? Could that skew the results? I definitely don't want to feel like I need to doubt my test results.

Also, what are the symptoms of lactose intolerance vs. casein intolerance? Are they generally similar? What's the reaction time for lactose vs. casein? Any difference?

I don't see why pregnancy would affect the test results. The anticasein antibodies would be there in a specific quantity or they wouldn't be. You can always email them or call if you are uncertain.

Have your symptoms gotten worse during pregnancy? It could be your body, especially now, is telling you to stay away from things you can't handle. This, of course, is the sheerest of speculation on my part.

If something bothers you everytime you eat it, it is a good sign you shouldn't eat it :)

I'm assuming Quest would have to go through my doctor, right?

I think maybe I'll just go ahead and go through Enterolab. I forgot that they tested for other intolerances. I seem to be able to get away with eating anything with dairy, even cheese, but as soon as I take a few sips of milk I get the same old Celiac type cramping and soft stools. I am SO hoping it's just the pregnancy, but I guess I know in my heart it probably isn't. I've suspected a dairy problem of some sort for quite some time now, I just never had any real symptoms to back up my suspicions.

Do you guys think I should wait until I'm not pregnant before pursuing testing? Could that skew the results? I definitely don't want to feel like I need to doubt my test results.

Also, what are the symptoms of lactose intolerance vs. casein intolerance? Are they generally similar? What's the reaction time for lactose vs. casein? Any difference?

Yes, the Quest is bloodwork, so it would be run through your dr. I'm assuming labcorp (one of the other major testing labs) does it also.