Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kmbishop03

Vinegar, Aromas, Citric Acid Gluten Free? Help!

I have been going gluten free for about a month now and have been fine up until something I ate yesterday. One were some garlic/parsley flavored potato chips that included the ingredient 'aroma of garlic and parsley'. The other thing I had was red wine mixed with Casera (almost like a bubbly water that contains citric acid). Those were the only suspicious things I consumed yesterday and now I am sick. My question is, are all vinegars (balsamic and white) gluten free? What about citric acid found in European products (I live in Spain)? And what about 'aromas' listed as ingredients in products? I cant remember if it was aromas or emulsifiers that I read about containing gluten. Ugh. I just started this diet and am having so many problems trying to find a variety of food to eat and am always scared when Im eating!! So if anyone can help, please!! :(

I have been going gluten free for about a month now and have been fine up until something I ate yesterday. . . .

. . . . My question is, are all vinegars (balsamic and white) gluten free? What about citric acid found in European products (I live in Spain)?

Most vinegars are no worry at all. Unless something changed in the last couple yrs, the only potential gluten in vinegar is one that doesn't say its source, AND doesn't say distilled.

As an ingredient, I see it listed simply as vinegar sometimes, but buying a bottle it seems to more often say Distilled, or that it's from wine or rice or whatever.

SO . . . . . .if you find you have a problem w/ vinegar (and/or citric acid), it may due to some common celiac-related complications.

Candida Overgrowth & Leaky-gut would be the primary suspects.

Congrats on getting started gluten-free!

You'll find it gets easier ALL the time. :)

Most vinegars are no worry at all. Unless something changed in the last couple yrs, the only potential gluten in vinegar is one that doesn't say its source, AND doesn't say distilled.

As an ingredient, I see it listed simply as vinegar sometimes, but buying a bottle it seems to more often say Distilled, or that it's from wine or rice or whatever.

Tom - are you sure this is the case in Spain?

I can't eat vinegar or even touch it... it's been about 6 years. There was a period when I was reacting to citric acid too but I am fine now.

I have been suffering from systemic candida for about the same amount of time as the Celiac disease. I have been doing anti-candida treatments for a year last week! :)

good luck and hope ya feel better