This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Lilit Cafe, Bethesda, Maryland

NWLAX36Mom

NWLAX36Mom Rookie

I tried Lilit Cafe on Old Georgetown Road in Bethesda yesterday and it was great! It is really like a counter service deli that sells beer and wine as well. They have a small seating area with a plasma tv. They have about six different gluten-free sandwiches on their menu. I had a steak & cheese (which I thought I'd never have again) made on Sweet Sins bread. It was delicious! I never have been much of a bread eater but the bread was fantastic.

They also have a full array of Sweet Sins baked goods, the most I have seen anywhere in the area. Breads, buns, muffins, cookies, all of the yummy desserts. Just gluten free heaven! Sweet Sins makes their delivery to them on Fridays.

I tried the pecan tart for the first time and it was well worth the calories. They were also more than happy to offer free samples of some of the other Sweet Sins goods -- the key lime tart and white chocolate chip cookies. I don't think you can go wrong with anything made from Sweet Sins!

They also have about a dozen flavors of gelato. I tasted my son's and it was good! I think they are all gluten free also.

They also indicated that sometime in the next few months they are going to have a gluten-free pizza and beer night. I made sure to sign up for notice of that!

Their website is lilitcafe.com.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

hathor Contributor

Pretty exciting about the gluten-free pizza possibility. I haven't been to Lilit's, even though I live in Bethesda, since they don't seem to have anything (yet) that I can eat. But pizza ...

I heard recently about a place in northern Virginia that is supposed to have gluten-free pizza, although there was a report that they can run out. I would hate to go all the way there and find that out. I also wonder about the CC possibilities with a regular pizza place. (I heard this in the DC Celiac Yahoo discussion group -- you know of this, right?)

I've seen some Sweet Sin products at the Roots store in Clarksville. They look very nice. Makes me want to relax on my egg restriction ... I love that store BTW It seems to be the best gluten-free selection available, albeit 40 minutes away from me (assuming good traffic, which is rare). Of course, there is the Great Sage restaurant next to it, and a nice little boutique and a day spa. It looks like I could have a completely decadent day if I wanted :lol:

NWLAX36Mom Rookie

I don't know anything about the DC group, can you fill me in?

I also think Roots has a great gluten-free selection. I just love how they have everything together in one place, makes it so easy. I'm lucky; it is right on my route from home to work. Have you ever eaten at the cafe? I haven't tried it.

I know Sweet Sins has some things that are dairy free but I don't know if they have eggs in them. You might want to check with them.

hathor Contributor

This is the Yahoo discussion group: Open Original Shared Link

This is the website for the group itself: Open Original Shared Link

I haven't been to any of the meetings yet, even though I live about 5 minutes from where they meet. There is a meeting this Saturday. This time I have to go to a picnic for my husband's firm at his boss' house (and take my own food).

I have eaten at Great Sage a number of times. It is one of my favorite restaurants. I always try to work in a trip into Roots and maybe Daedelus books as well.

All the Sweet Sins things I've seen contain eggs. I did break down last weekend and bought a loaf of the sandwich bread because it actually LOOKS like bread and I figured it probably doesn't contain that much egg. I had some last night (very good) and haven't reacted ... yet ... keep your fingers crossed.

• 4 weeks later...
hathor Contributor

Gluten-free pizza night this Saturday :lol:

happygirl Collaborator

Thanks for posting this information. I only recently heard about this place as well as Rustico (the place with gluten-free pizza). I think the fact that they sell out is a good indicator that its yummy and there is a need for it in the area!!!!

hathor Contributor

Did any of you try the pizza last night? I was rather disappointed in the crust. Since I ordered the veggie pizza without cheese, a lot depended on the crust. I think next time I will ask for extra sauce & veggies, and red pepper flakes if they have them.

But they are trying. He was surprised at finding someone ordering cheeseless pizza. I explained that intolerance and he said he was considering getting a nondairy cheese. (I said I couldn't have soy either, but I don't think that registered.) He asked if I liked pesto. He may come up with a gluten-free pesto pizza.

It was neat looking around the room & seeing all the Redbridges out on tables.

Plus he changed the channel so we could watch the Nats beat the Phillies. I can't be in a bad mood after that :lol:

If we keep patronizing these folks and offering suggestions, we may have a real gem on our hands.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

NWLAX36Mom Rookie

I am so disappointed. I just knew they would decide to have the pizza night on a weekend I was out of town. . Was it very well attended? I will have to go give it a try. I still haven't even tried Redbridge yet.

Where is this Rustico's and has anyone tried their pizza?

Did anyone notice if Sweet Sins had any pumpkin muffins there? I know they only make them seasonally and I can't wait to try them.

happygirl Collaborator
Open Original Shared Link
hathor Contributor

There seemed to be a steady stream of people at Lilit's. We went early because I was hungry. Tables weren't free for long. There aren't too many tables, so I don't know if things got tight later. They do have carryout.

I would be interested in a review of Rustico's pizza (and whether they still have a problem with ever running out of the crust -- I don't want to go clear over there and find they are out).

• 1 month later...
amy12 Newbie

Ate at Lilit's for the first time last night. I had a caprese sandwich, which was great. They toasted the bread, and it was the best gluten-free bread I've had since diagnosis.

The selection of other Sweet Sin products was great. I got some of the snickerdoodles to take home and they are quite good.

An added bonus for my dining companions was that you can pick out a bottle of wine from their retail area, bring it over to your table, and they will serve it for you without charging a "corking fee." The price of the wine itself is the same as it would be at a liquor store, so it was a real deal.

It was a real treat to eat out and not have to play twenty questions with the waiter!

• 2 weeks later...
NWLAX36Mom Rookie

I just got an email from Lilit that they are having another gluten free pizza night tomorrow, Saturday, December 1. They are having a new thin crust.

I tried their pizza for the first time recently and my only complaint was that the crust was too thick. I am hoping to make it tomorrow night and check it out.

Archived