This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

I Had An Awesome Lunch Out!

horsegirl

horsegirl Enthusiast

I went to Chipotle's restaurant in the Sacramento (CA) area yesterday, & had a really good experience. Even though they were busy, they found out for me that I could have anything on their menu except the flour tortillas - everything else is gluten free! :D

I had a "burrito bowl" that had rice, beans, carnitas, tomato salsa, guacamole, & lettuce! And I ate the whole thing & haven't had any bad effects from it! Considering I'm not only gluten-free, but also casein, soy, & egg-free, it's hard to find a place to eat where I don't feel like I have to eat a plain salad to be safe - and this was a nice experience too, with good staff. I later went on their website, & they talk about their food being gluten-free, which was a good confirmation of what the staff told me.

So, if there's one near you, check it out! (no, I'm not being paid for this endorsement!) ;)

Martha

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

blueeyedmanda Community Regular

That sounds like a very nice time out. I am only gluten free and I know how hard it is to find just a gluten free meal sometimes. I am so impressed you were able to find something that you were able to eat but did not get sick. Thanks for sharing.

Dandelion Contributor

Their menu looks awesome! And there's one right by me. Thanks for posting this. Can't wait to try it.

Cherry Tart Apprentice

Chipotle rules! We eat there at least once a week! :lol:

bfarnsworth0709 Rookie

Chipotle is my FAVORITE place to eat. I recently moved to a small town but when I lived in Omaha, I ate there SEVERAL times a week! The steak fajita bowl with sour cream and a side of chips and guac is my favorite. Since then I have gone 100% gluten free and no longer "cheat" once in a while, so I don't know if the chips are gluten-free.

Anybody know if they are?

confusedks Enthusiast

I didn't have such a positive experience... :huh: . I seem to get sick every time I go there...I think it's CC though. I'm glad you all have had good experiences though!

Kassandra

buffettbride Enthusiast
I didn't have such a positive experience... :huh: . I seem to get sick every time I go there...I think it's CC though. I'm glad you all have had good experiences though!

Kassandra

Same here. The one by us the people barely speak English and they looked at me like a moron when I asked them not to put the corn tortilla on the flour press and when I asked them to change gloves before handling my DDs food. We haven't been back.

Such a shame since the flour tortillas and one saude are the only items there with gluten.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Susan-in-NC Rookie

Chipoltes opened recently near where I live. I was so excited, because my favorite pre Celiac mexican resturant isn't a "safe" place to eat now. So, my husband and were going to give Chipoltes a try. As I said I was very excited, went in and happily was telling him about how I had heard such great things and how safe it was for me to eat here. THEN I saw rampent cross contamination. Gloved hands with flour tortillas, reaching into the dishes to assemble the orders, ignoring the utensils placed in the various containers. I was so disapointed! :(

I asked if I could speak to the manager, and the woman I had witnessed using her hands instead of the scoops or tongs WAS the manager. I told my husband I could never eat at this location. She asked me why "when I hadn't even tried anything on the menu" I asked her if we could step to the side and discuss my reasons, she said she wanted me to answer there since I had made my statement "publicly" I then told her that she and her staff had not demonstrated safe food handling and that the various items were cross contaminated from their hands going from one dish to another instead of using the tools. She said it was easier and faster! To which I said but not safe food handling and we left, several other people left right behind us.

Susan

buffettbride Enthusiast
She said it was easier and faster! To which I said but not safe food handling and we left, several other people left right behind us.

Susan

That is awful Susan. :( But you did the right thing by leaving. I even emailed Chipotle after our experience there and it was a very non-apologetic response that didn't even seem to take my concerns seriously.

zkat Apprentice
Same here. The one by us the people barely speak English and they looked at me like a moron when I asked them not to put the corn tortilla on the flour press and when I asked them to change gloves before handling my DDs food. We haven't been back.

Such a shame since the flour tortillas and one saude are the only items there with gluten.

The small tortillas are NOT gluten free. You have to order a bowl or a salad or crispy corn tacos. The chips are fine. I eat them about twice a week and have never had a problem.

Open Original Shared Link

mandasmom Rookie
The small tortillas are NOT gluten free. You have to order a bowl or a salad or crispy corn tacos. The chips are fine. I eat them about twice a week and have never had a problem.

Open Original Shared Link

We eat there all the time and never get sick....I would caution everyone, however, that the calorie count for their food is way up there.....a problem for those of us who tend to pack on the pounds!! But it is yummy!!

zkat Apprentice

I agree on the calorie count. I usually eat there on Fri's before a soccer game when I need the extra calories, if I go any other time I get the salad or eat half and save the other half for a different meal :P You can count on about 200 calories per item (rice, beans, meat, guac, sour cream cheese etc. It all adds up quickly)

JennyC Enthusiast
We eat there all the time and never get sick....I would caution everyone, however, that the calorie count for their food is way up there.....a problem for those of us who tend to pack on the pounds!! But it is yummy!!

If you get the crispy tacos with chicken and pick cheese or sour cream, they're not too bad. A reasonable dinner, calorie wise (especially if you only try to eat 3). That rarely works for me though. :lol:

Archived