Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I know this is silly asking a qustion about pickels, but I went to the store today to buy some baby pickels, out of habit I started looking at the ingrediants, some jars had all these ingreadaints that It never occured to me just might have gluten in the juice. I don't have my list handy Modified food starch is bad right along with High Fructos corn suryp.. Just wondering

donna

Modified food starch is usually derived from corn. If the manufacturer does not have a policy of clearly labeling gluten, then you should call and ask.

High fructose corn syrup is gluten-free.

Manufacturers/brands that I am aware of that will clearly disclose gluten in the ingredient list are:

Arrowhead Mills, Aunt Nelly's, Balance, Baskin Robbins, Ben & Jerry, Bertoli, Betty Crocker, Blue Bunny, Breyers, Campbells, Cascadian Farms, Celestial Seasonings, ConAgra, Country Crock, Edy's, General Mills, Good Humor, Green Giant, Haagen Daz, Hellman's, Hershey, Hormel, Hungry Jack, Jiffy, Knorr, Kozy Shack, Kraft, Lawry's, Libby's, Lipton, Martha White, Maxwell House, McCormick, Nabisco, Nestle, Old El Paso, Ortega, Pillsbury, Popsicle, Post, Progresso, Ragu, Russell Stover, Seneca Foods, Skippy, Smucker, Stokely's, Sunny Delight, T Marzetti, Tyson, Unilever, Wishbone, Yoplait, Zatarain's.

I know this is silly asking a qustion about pickels, but I went to the store today to buy some baby pickels, out of habit I started looking at the ingrediants, some jars had all these ingreadaints that It never occured to me just might have gluten in the juice. I don't have my list handy Modified food starch is bad right along with High Fructos corn suryp.. Just wondering

donna

Morning Donna,

It does seem logical that pickles and the juice would not be something that would contain gluten. Pickles may have been suspect in the past because of the distilled vinegar. We now know that the distilling process removes what gluten may have existed. (disclaimer, some sensitive celiacs may react to vinegars and alcohol).

Modified Food Starch, IN THE US, is generally derived from corn. If it is otherwise, it would be required by law to be listed as "Modified Food Starch (wheat)".

Enjoy that pickle

High Fructose Corn should no be a gluten issue either.