Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest thatchickali

Which Calcium Supplement Is Safe? Citracal?

Guest thatchickali

So I had a scare this morning, my fingers went numb and after asking a lot of people a lot of questions most people thought it was due to calcium deficiency.

I have "Citracal Ultradense Calcium Citrate 250mg+D" and it's the weekend so I can't call the company.

Does anyone already know if this is Gluten Free or know of one that for sure is. I can't do dairy or eggs so I don't know where to get calcium from. Also can't do oranges due to acidity.

So I had a scare this morning, my fingers went numb and after asking a lot of people a lot of questions most people thought it was due to calcium deficiency.

I have "Citracal Ultradense Calcium Citrate 250mg+D" and it's the weekend so I can't call the company.

Does anyone already know if this is Gluten Free or know of one that for sure is. I can't do dairy or eggs so I don't know where to get calcium from. Also can't do oranges due to acidity.

Ali,

OS-CAL is gluten free. - I called

www.oscal.com

Try a search here for Citracal.

Another option is Kirkman, which I have only seen mail-order. I buy direct from http://www.kirkmanlabs.com

I switched from the usual choices available in stores for a couple of reasons:

1) The Kirkman products are hypoallergenic. I have additional intolerances now and their supplements are the only ones that I have found that are compatible with my restrictions. For instance, the calcium supplement I have is labelled: does not contain casein, gluten, soy, wheat, corn, milk, sucrose, artificial color, flavoring, preservtives or yeast.

2) The calcium supplement is a powder, rather than a tablet. It mixes easily with liquid. A doctor that gave a talk to the South Jersey celiac group a while back pointed out that a calcium tablet is basically a "rock". He had been talking about acid blockers for treating things like reflux and how the resulting reduced acid levels would make it more difficult to digest the "rock" and free the calcium for absorption. That could result in making one problem better (i.e. reflux) and simultaneously making another worse (i.e. calcium absorption / osteoporosis). After hearing that, it always seemed logical to me that a powdered calcium supplement would have an advantage over a calcium tablet.