This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Hamburger Buns, Finally!

JNBunnie1

JNBunnie1 Community Regular

Alright, I haven't had a bloody hamburger bun in three years, well, a good one I mean. (Don't try the Whole Foods gluten-free Bakehouse ones, they're awful) But last night! I made the Chebe cheese bread, and took two balls of dough and flattened them out about three & 1/2 inches wide and only 1/2 inch high, and made them with part romano cheese and part chedder. They were a tiny bit doughy in the middle, but Chebe always is, it's just because of the cheese I think. And I cooked some chopped garlic and onion into my burger patties, and I almost burst into tears it was so good. I haven't had a burger on a bun in three years, and this was SO GOOD!!!!! I'm gonna try hot dog buns soon........

YAY!!!!!!!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Dandelion Contributor

That sounds really good. Thanks for posting it!

ab123 Rookie

That sounds so good!! Too bad they dont have Chebe where I live!

Kinikinink makes fantastic hamburger buns too.

That sounds so good!! Too bad they dont have Chebe where I live!

Kinikinink makes fantastic hamburger buns too.

Actually, the cheapest way to get Chebe is to order online a case of 'no-frills' stuff, you have to measure out the mix but it's cheaper.

blueeyedmanda Community Regular

Thanks for posting, all the hamburger buns I ever tried disappointed me...I will try the Kinnicink next time.

2Boys4Me Enthusiast

They don't have Chebe here either, but a warning about Kinnickinnik...they smell bad. I would call it a stench. Maybe I'm the only one, but I'm sure glad I don't have to eat them. I made Ty a bunwich one time, and just about choked on the smell of them. I think he ate it all. I know they come in a package of four for around $6 or $7 and he only ate three. We threw the rest out. Check with Kinnickinnik eating friends to see what they think of the smell. It's entirely possible that I'm super senstive to smell. I can't be in the room if someones making Kraft Dinner - that horrible fake cheese smell. Blech!

Meanwhile, we are still looking for a decent hamburger bun (that doesn't smell bad) that is either reasonably priced or easy to bake AND tastes good.

They don't have Chebe here either, but a warning about Kinnickinnik...they smell bad. I would call it a stench. Maybe I'm the only one, but I'm sure glad I don't have to eat them. I made Ty a bunwich one time, and just about choked on the smell of them. I think he ate it all. I know they come in a package of four for around $6 or $7 and he only ate three. We threw the rest out. Check with Kinnickinnik eating friends to see what they think of the smell. It's entirely possible that I'm super senstive to smell. I can't be in the room if someones making Kraft Dinner - that horrible fake cheese smell. Blech!

Meanwhile, we are still looking for a decent hamburger bun (that doesn't smell bad) that is either reasonably priced or easy to bake AND tastes good.

Well, the Chebe was rather easy to bake. It calls for a certain amount of cheese, which I used mostly cheddar and a little fresh grated romano, it smelled wonderful, tasted wonderful.....

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

sickchick Community Regular

I bought Kinikinink bread once and the crust fell off and when I tried to bite into the sandwich it turnd to brown flour dust lol :lol:B)

I'll stick to trying to make my own hehehe ;):)

I hope I can find Chebe around here!

lovelove

Cam's Mom Contributor

I made really awesome hamburger buns recently. I used the Best Ever Flax Meal Bread recipe that has been floating around on this forum. Then I used a large scoop (like an ice cream scoop with a spring release) to get a good uniform size bun. I cooked them on a muffin top pan wihich mad a perfect shape. Then I sprinkled a few sesame seeds on top before cooking. They were awesome!

If you try this, I recommend that when you scoop the batter out onto the pan then with a wet hand, pat the dough down to like a thick pancake - it will puff up when it rises and bakes.

Barb

modiddly16 Enthusiast

Next up......an actual hoagie roll that isn't a brick and a soft pretzel!

mamaw Community Regular

I too just made the hamburger buns using Lorka's recipe. I think I used about a 1/2c. per bun. did the sesame on top also!!!!

I love the buns from Against the Grain Gourmet......never found any others that are this yummy!!!!On our pasta nights I use the crusty rolls from Everybody Eats......

It is so wonderful to have choices!!!!!

mamaw

kbabe1968 Enthusiast

MMMMM....just discovered Kinnickinnick a few weeks ago. SO HAPPY!

I love Lorka bread too :D Any way, shape, form :D!!!

Ridgewalker Contributor
I made really awesome hamburger buns recently. I used the Best Ever Flax Meal Bread recipe that has been floating around on this forum. Then I used a large scoop (like an ice cream scoop with a spring release) to get a good uniform size bun. I cooked them on a muffin top pan wihich mad a perfect shape. Then I sprinkled a few sesame seeds on top before cooking. They were awesome!

If you try this, I recommend that when you scoop the batter out onto the pan then with a wet hand, pat the dough down to like a thick pancake - it will puff up when it rises and bakes.

Barb

What is a muffin top pan? Do you think another type of pan could be used, or would they not turn out a proper shape?

-Sarah

What is a muffin top pan? Do you think another type of pan could be used, or would they not turn out a proper shape?

-Sarah

I know this is Ot, but is that a mini Darth Vader in your avatar? He's so cute!!!!!!!

Cam's Mom Contributor

Hmmm, I'm not sure how to describe it . . . a muffin top pan was designed to bake just the muffin top (I've also heard the term used to describe the part of a person that hangs over jeans that are too tight - lol). Anyway, it is kind of like a cookie sheet with big round, but shallow indents in them. Does that make any sense?

Ahh - better yet - here is a picture of it:

Open Original Shared Link

It worked out very well for making very large/sandwich/bun sized rolles. I am now looking for a good hot dog/grinder roll pan. I think King Arthur has them.

b.

kbtoyssni Contributor

I didn't think they smelled bad! :) I did think they were crumbly and if you put any toppings on your burger the bun will fall apart. I'd rather just go without.

Ridgewalker Contributor
Hmmm, I'm not sure how to describe it . . . a muffin top pan was designed to bake just the muffin top (I've also heard the term used to describe the part of a person that hangs over jeans that are too tight - lol). Anyway, it is kind of like a cookie sheet with big round, but shallow indents in them. Does that make any sense?

Ahh - better yet - here is a picture of it:

<a href="Open Original Shared Link .com/Chicago-Metallic-Gourmetware-Original-Muffin/dp/B0000CFN2C" target="external ugc nofollow">Open Original Shared Link .com/Chicago-Metallic-Gou...n/dp/B0000CFN2C</a>

It worked out very well for making very large/sandwich/bun sized rolles. I am now looking for a good hot dog/grinder roll pan. I think King Arthur has them.

b.

Cool deal, thanks for the info!!

I know this is Ot, but is that a mini Darth Vader in your avatar? He's so cute!!!!!!!

Yes indeedy, he is 4 years old and we often call him Darth Ezra... or sometimes Dr. Destructo. His aspiration in life is to be a super villain when he grows up :huh: Sometimes I worry :rolleyes:

-Sarah

Archived