Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

arch8

Anyone Out There On Steroids>>?

I recently came across some literature on the web that said some patients with celiac disease that are put on steroids improve on their condition. I was diagnosed with celiac disease two years ago and have not gotten much better on my strict gluten free diet. What I read on the internet about steroids actually helping some patients has given me a little bit of newfound hope. Has anybody been given steroids for their condition or know of someone who has and what has the result been?

I recently came across some literature on the web that said some patients with celiac disease that are put on steroids improve on their condition. I was diagnosed with celiac disease two years ago and have not gotten much better on my strict gluten free diet. What I read on the internet about steroids actually helping some patients has given me a little bit of newfound hope. Has anybody been given steroids for their condition or know of someone who has and what has the result been?

I have been on steroids for the last year Entocort. When I went to Mayo last Jan. Dr. Murry told me to take three. one in the morning and open it up and chew the insides,one at lunch and eat the insides and then one in the evening and take it whole. Had been on them for the year before and they really didn't do much good until I started to take them the way Dr. Murry told me to. Things are back to normal as normal as can be with being a celiac.

That is great. Glad to hear they worked for you. How long did it take after you started taking them the new way before they took effect? Also, just curious as to what your sypmtoms where with celiacs. I want to know if they are parallel to mine which are mostly gastro/intestinal. Thanks.

That is great. Glad to hear they worked for you. How long did it take after you started taking them the new way before they took effect? Also, just curious as to what your sypmtoms where with celiacs. I want to know if they are parallel to mine which are mostly gastro/intestinal. Thanks.

It took about two months before I could see a difference. I finally had BM's that were somewhat mushy and solid and then when I was doing actual formed floaters I called my husband at work and told him we were going to celebrate that evening.

I had lost over 100lbs in a year and was malnourished. It's not been easy for the last two years and there are days that I just don't want to deal with it but know I have to.

I started in Dec. of 2005 with what I thought was the flu and intestinal problems. Had a colonoscopy and was told I had colitis. Things got worse and found a new Dr. in Feb. of 2006. It wasn't until Sept of that year that I ended in the hospital and they told me I had celiacs. Started on the diet and things grew even worse and in Jan of this year was sent to Mayo and saw Dr. Murry and he put me on the entocort. I have put on 20 lbs. and they would like me to put on more but without all the sweets and breads the weight stays about the same. I am now doing sinkers which was another day to celebrate and now just wish I could get back my engery. Some days it is there and some not.

Thanks for your interest.

I was also diagnosed 2 years ago. While the doctors here were trying to figure me out they did discover that almost all testosterone left my body. I couldn't even walk for a few weeks. was given patches for 3 months, finally diagnosed and gluten free ever since. Was also given a few injections of steroids and hormones that I don't recall. All I know is that its great to be almost back to normal.

Ken