Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

missnbagels

Giving Blood And Celiac Disease

Guest Doll

In Canada, Celiacs can donate blood if they have been "symptom free" for 1 year and have negative antibodies.

You cannot be a bone marrow donor, as there is a risk of passing on autoimmune diseases (i.e. Celiac) to the patient through donation.

I would agree that there wouldn't seem to be any reason why a Celiac couldn't donate blood. The only thought I have otherwise is whether or not that person should donate if their iron levels aren't as high as they should be as a result of anemia. I could see where it might be a concern for the donor's health as opposed to the recipient.

Guest Doll

I think the reason why Celiacs can't donate blood without restriction in Canada is due to our "protect the donor" paranoia. ;) Anything that may put the donor's health at risk (i.e. "active" Celiac) is considered a contraindication to donate blood. Other places may not be as strict.

As far as I know, autoimmune diseases can only be "transmitted" from donors to recipients by way of bone marrow transplants. Blood is OK.

I would agree that there wouldn't seem to be any reason why a Celiac couldn't donate blood. The only thought I have otherwise is whether or not that person should donate if their iron levels aren't as high as they should be as a result of anemia. I could see where it might be a concern for the donor's health as opposed to the recipient.

Whenever you give blood (at least in the states), they check your iron before you are approved to donate. That's the test where they prick your finger, siphon a few drops and drop it in a vial with some kind of fluid. Your blood's got to sink - otherwise, it doesn't have enough iron. If it doesn't sink, they turn you down. At least that's they way they did it the last time I gave blood (which has been a while ago).

Whenever you give blood (at least in the states), they check your iron before you are approved to donate. That's the test where they prick your finger, siphon a few drops and drop it in a vial with some kind of fluid. Your blood's got to sink - otherwise, it doesn't have enough iron. If it doesn't sink, they turn you down. At least that's they way they did it the last time I gave blood (which has been a while ago).

Is this test done at high school blood drives? I am thinkin probably yes but i figure i'd ask