Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tori's Dad

High Fever After Being Glutened?

My wife is an asymptomatic Celiec so it's real hard to tell if she has been glutened or not. After a beach trip with the girls this weekend and LOTS of eating out at restaurants, she began to feel tired and quesey Monday. On Tuesday she had the big D, bloating and the normal symptoms of a glutening (for others that is. She never had any symptoms before) but then she spiked a fever of 102 last night. The fever broke pretty quick and now she seems fine.

Our 2 kids have the upper respitory crud right now so it could be just a virus I am curious. Celiac is an autoimmune disease so a fever doesn't sound too far fetched.

Thanks in advance!

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

There's some nasty sickness floating around these days.

Both my kids have stuffy noses and my son still has the uberpoopies after about 5 days--the first 2 days with a low-grade fever. He is not Celiac. He just had a "bug." My daughter, who is Celiac, also had the uberpoopies, but only for about 2 days, no fever, and was not glutened.

Join eNewsletter

My wife is an asymptomatic Celiec so it's real hard to tell if she has been glutened or not. After a beach trip with the girls this weekend and LOTS of eating out at restaurants, she began to feel tired and quesey Monday. On Tuesday she had the big D, bloating and the normal symptoms of a glutening (for others that is. She never had any symptoms before) but then she spiked a fever of 102 last night. The fever broke pretty quick and now she seems fine.

Our 2 kids have the upper respitory crud right now so it could be just a virus I am curious. Celiac is an autoimmune disease so a fever doesn't sound too far fetched.

Thanks in advance!

I had fevers when I was sick with Celiac before I figured it out and went gluten free. Fevers seem relatively rare but certainly nothing unusual.

If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill

Join eNewsletter

My older son often gets a fever when he gets glutened, but only low-grade (usually around 99.5.)

-Sarah

--Son, Lucas, age 7. Gluten-free since May 2007

--Son, Ezra, age 5. Gluten-free 10/13/07. Bipolar tendencies, massively improved on gluten-free diet! He's also allergic to a jillion antibiotics.

--My mother has Celiac Disease, dx'ed by Positive Blood Tests and Biopsy. Diagnosed Sarcoidosis 6/08.

--Myself, Gluten-free since 8/07

Time heals all hurt of heart... but time must be won.

Join eNewsletter

I don't know where you live but there is indeed a nasty little bugger of a bug going around here in Western Mass. It does include both fever and tummy troubles and strangely enough many people I have spoken to have reported shoulder and neck pain with this thing (usually preceding the bug) like a stiff neck from sleeping wrong. But 4 separate people have mentioned it - so makes me wonder. My daughter and I (both celiac) had this bug and don't think we were glutened.

But, aside from that, pre-diagnosis when my daughter was really, really, sick with Celiac symptoms, they were accompanied by a continuous low grade fever.

Hope you figure it out.

Barb

Daughter, Camryn diagnosed with diabetes 3/06

diagnosed with celiac (blood test and biosy confirmed) 5/06

Join eNewsletter

I was running a fever of about 101 degrees every day starting at midafternoon into the evening until I was hospitalized. From what I understand, I was pretty far gone at that point. I was sick for several yrs. before I started running fevers. A random glutening does not cause a fever now that I am healed.

neesee

Join eNewsletter

I have been glutened several times since starting the gluten-free life style and each time I get a high fever, with chills. Once the fever leaves then I start feeling better. It usually comes on the second day and lasts several hours.

Yellow Rose

27 years of misdiognoses

seziures summer of 1979 lasted 10 years had maybe a dozen in that time Dr.s never could find what was causing them blamed it on lack of sleep and maybe nutrasweet

rheumatoid arthritis May 1980

wrist joint replacement Jan 1984

fibromyalgia May 1980

insomnia since the 80's

diarrhea 1995-2000 blamed on arthritis meds

Crohn's 1998 after two operations to fix fissures caused by the diarrhea

Other symptons over the last 27 years that have been treated for symptoms not causes:

depression, anemia, constipation, tooth discoloration, tremors in hands, tingling and numbness in feet and hands, fatigue, high blood pressure due to arthritus meds, flushing in face, severe muscle pain and thinking I was going crazy thanks to Dr.'s attitudes.

After diognoses my mother tells me I have an aunt and a cousin with Celiac. Mother tested negative but thinks she is intolerant to wheat and is changing her diet.

Suspect all three of my children have it as well but still trying to convince them to go get tested.

In answer to my prayer, "Lord Please Heal My Broken Body". May 2007 Celiac antibody test positive

Matthew 7: 8 Ask and ye shall receive, Seek and ye shall find, Knock and it shall be opened unto you.

Join eNewsletter

Thanks for all of your posting. I recently had an inadvertant glutening, a swallow of barley tea which I mistook for regular tea. I had low grade fever and was miserable, but it was weird, it was on day 4, 8 and 9 after the glutening that I had the fever. I was really wondering if this could be from the glutening, so I read your posts with interest.

4/2007 Positive IGA, TTG Enterolab results, with severe malabsorption: Two DQ2 celiac genes--highest possible risk.

gluten-free since 4/22/07; SF since 7/07; 3/08 & 7/08 high sugar levels in stool (i.e. cannot break down carbs) digestive enzymes for carbs didn't help; 7/18/08 started SCD as prescribed by my physician (MD).

10/2000 dx LYME disease; 2008 clinical dx CELIAC; Other: hypothyroid, allergies, dupuytrens, high mercury levels

Join eNewsletter

I know this an old thread but I want to add my experience for when others coming looking.

I get fevers when glutened. 99.2 F up to spikes of 100.3. I don't know how long they run. One time was 4 days before I figured out what I was eating that had wheat in it. As of may 8, 2009, I am on day 5 of fevers in 6 days of a gluten challenge. and boy am I eating gluten - 3 xs a day :( At least I now know what it is and I don't think to myself. "oh I need to rest, I'm running a fever," and therefore my life doesn't completely fall apart. I can keep taking care of my son and house and life...

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter