Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lisa

School Fundraising Cookies

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Members:

It has been brought to my attention that the a member had a severe reaction to a batch of the Chunky Chocolate Pecan "Gluten-Free" cookies sold in tubs by an SLO School District as a fundraiser.

WARNING!

Cookies sold by national PTA fundraising groups through the local school districts say 'GLUTEN FREE" on the lid of the cookie tub BUT THEY ARE NOT GLUTEN-FREE.....read the label they contain wheat flour and barley malt. ALWAYS READ THE LABEL FIRST.

These cookies are being sold through the schools "For Your School Fundraiser" Magazine and Great Stuff to Eat and come in the following:

Chocolate Chunk

Sugar

Peanut Butter

Oatmeal Raisin

Snickerdoodle

M&M

Chunky Chocolate with Walnuts

Macadamia White Chocolate

Reese's Peanut Butter Cups

Heath English Toffee

Jumbles

Triple Chocolate

Hawaiian Decadence Set

Simply Sweet Set

Chunky Chocolate Pecan

After contacting the telephone number (877) 225-5397 on the cookie tub, our member was advised that the wrong lid was placed on the cookie tubs, sorry, the cookies are not gluten-free.

If you have purchased any of these cookie tubs with the wrong lid, I urge you to file a complaint with the School, PTA, Celiac Disease Foundation, and the AFRDS (see below).

AFRDS, 1100 Johnson Ferry Road, Suite 300, Atlanta, Georgia 30342. For more fundraising information, email AFRDS or call (404) 252-3663.

Betty Guthrie

Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

wrong lid.... :angry:

yet one more reason I am so very glad I moved into "the country" no kids or parents coming to sell me anything!

Just my .00000002 cents worth

If I knew what I was doing years ago I would have half a clue today!

Our school does a cookie dough fundraiser every year, and that company doesn't even offer gluten-free cookies. When Ty was in kindergarten, I took the sheet to work and sold TONS of it. At the school they said if there were a prize for selling the most, Ty would have won. By grade one, he was diagnosed celiac and when they handed out the fundraising sheet, he declined to take it. The kid handing out the sheets didn't really know what to say, so he insisted he take it, and as soon as he got home he threw the sheet out. He said, "I can't eat them so I'm not selling them."

Linda, Mom to Ty (11 years old)

Ty was diagnosed by blood test June 7/05

biopsy Aug 11/05, diagnosis confirmed Aug 18/05

Mom, Dad and big brother Celiac-free.