Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Nutmegger

Shoprite Barbecue Sauce -- All Varieties

An e-mail from customer service confirms that all varieties of their barbecue sauce are safe.

Of course, it turns out one of the ambiguous "spices" is paprika, meaning I can't have it...does anyone know of any gluten-free barbecue sauces without paprika? I've found several that are made without paprika but which are not gluten-free, so that doesn't help much. Failing that, any suggestions for making my own?

Stupid capsicum allergy, always getting in my way! :/

Dreaming of a gluten-, peanut-, capsicum-, mango-free world...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

An e-mail from customer service confirms that all varieties of their barbecue sauce are safe.

Of course, it turns out one of the ambiguous "spices" is paprika, meaning I can't have it...does anyone know of any gluten-free barbecue sauces without paprika? I've found several that are made without paprika but which are not gluten-free, so that doesn't help much. Failing that, any suggestions for making my own?

Stupid capsicum allergy, always getting in my way! :/

I called the company that makes Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ Sauce. The woman looked up the formulas of the Original and the Hickory and Brown Sugar flavors, and neither one of them contains paprika. She said the "spices" used are black pepper, garlic and red pepper.

It's also the best tasting in my opinion :)

1-877-729-2229

Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

I love Shop-Rite, I only get there when we are at the shore but I like that store :)

When we lived in New Jersey, we had a Shoprite that we went to regularly. They had a small, but good gluten-free section.

Where I live on PA, there are none close by--I think the closest is about 45 minutes away.

Patti

When we lived in New Jersey, we had a Shoprite that we went to regularly. They had a small, but good gluten-free section.

Where I live on PA, there are none close by--I think the closest is about 45 minutes away.

Supposedly there is one about that same distance from my mom's too.

When I was little we had a Shop Rite close by and it was dirty and eventually went out of business. It wasn't until we went to the shore the first year, that I had been in another. It seems they are redoing their stores and they are nice now. Good example of a chain store picking themselves off the bottom.

~~~~Gluten Free since 9/2004~~~~~~

Friends may come and go but Sillies are Forever!!!!!!!

36_22_10[1].gif

Yep--the one I was talking about in Jersey was a much smaller store that they closed and re-built much larger about 3 or 4 years ago.

Patti

Funny, grocery stores never meant too much to me until I needed to shop for special food...Now I huntout the good stores.

36_22_10[1].gif

Funny, grocery stores never meant too much to me until I needed to shop for special food...Now I huntout the good stores.

:D So true!

Patti

I believe we are stopping at the store tonight. I have decided to make stuffed shells this weekend when we get back from my parents. I want to pick up the stuff early.

36_22_10[1].gif

I called the company that makes Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ Sauce. The woman looked up the formulas of the Original and the Hickory and Brown Sugar flavors, and neither one of them contains paprika. She said the "spices" used are black pepper, garlic and red pepper.

It's also the best tasting in my opinion :)

1-877-729-2229

Wow, thank you for going out of your way and doing that! Unfortunately, red pepper is still a capsicum -- paprika is actually made from dried red pepper, so they're pretty much the same thing, just in different forms -- but it's awesome that you were willing to help out like that. :) I haven't seen "red pepper" listed as an ingredient for any sauces, just paprika, so I should've clarified that.

Also, as far as ShopRite goes, the ones around here (Connecticut) have always been considered pretty decent. They're all independently operated, so I suppose some owners are more attentive than others. The ShopRite in my town is considered to be much nicer than Stop & Shop, Shaw's, or most of the others.

Dreaming of a gluten-, peanut-, capsicum-, mango-free world...

You're welcome--but darn about the red pepper! :angry: I didn't realize they were the same thing, although it makes sense.

Hopefully, someone will have another idea for you. :)

Patti