Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ashley

Question About Birth Control

I've had a reaction and the only thing different I've consumed is my birth control. I just started monday, but I forgot two days because I spent the night with a friend. I took three pills of Alesse [generic version of Lessina.] on Wedneday to make up for it. I woke up with my caperillies broken.

Is this gluten-free or no?

-Diganosed with Celiac's Disease on April 15, 2005.

"Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life"-Picasso

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

You would have to call the manufacturer to ask them that. It could have gluten in it, or it could be your body having a reaction to a new med. Either way, you should always call the manufacturer on a medication. Although I trust people on this board and value thier opinoins, how would we know if its gluten free? You wouldnt want to get wrong information by someone claiming its gluten free when they took it, but now the manufacturer has changed the ingrediants. Good luck

I've had a reaction and the only thing different I've consumed is my birth control. I just started monday, but I forgot two days because I spent the night with a friend. I took three pills of Alesse [generic version of Lessina.] on Wedneday to make up for it. I woke up with my caperillies broken.

Is this gluten-free or no?

I have reactions to all types of birth control. There is lactose in a good amount of the pills, and that seems to get me everytime. Good luck!

Terri

Diary free 11/06-6/08

Now using a small amount of low-lactose dairy such as aged cheeses and yogurt. Yum!

Gluten-free since 4/07

"When you row another person across the river, you get there yourself."

- Fortune Cookie

Lo-Ogestrel and Lo-Ovral are both gluten-free, though I think they both have lactose. The thing with birth control is that most people have reactions to them and have to play with the different brands/hormone formulas to find the right one. I lucked out and haven't had any issues. However, they aren't ALL gluten-free, so that's worth a check; I'm just mentioning this because it may not have anything to do with gluten. Maybe worth a call to the doctor, they usually have some samples of different brands that you can try out before getting a prescription.

Good luck!

~Sally

NO birth control pill that I know of is lactose free. I am casein intolerant, and these pills do not bother me, however.

You *could* try the Nuvaring. I don't think there'd be lactose in there. I personally didn't like it, and it is 98% effective as opposed to the pill which is 99% effective when taken properly. I don't know about DeproProvera shots and allergens.

"I'm not telling you it's going to be easy. I'm telling you it's going to be worth it." - Art Williams

Currently gluten-, casein-, soy- and nightshade-free.

besides lactose and gluten, though, taking three pills at once can be an awful lot on your system - that's a very high dose of hormones. that may well have played a roll in the symptoms you saw.

Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"

Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy

G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004

Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me

Bellevue, WA

besides lactose and gluten, though, taking three pills at once can be an awful lot on your system - that's a very high dose of hormones. that may well have played a roll in the symptoms you saw.

That was a very high dose and I hope you talk with your doctor about doing that if you do miss on a regular basis. If you are taking the pill for birth control you really need to take it consistently and ideally at the exact same time every day. In addition with having missed that number of pills make sure you also use an alternate form of birth control for the remainder of your cycle. The number of pills taken at once would have prevented pregnacy in most cases, if that was a concern, but you may not be fully 'covered' until your next regular cycle.

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

I'd be careful with taking 3 pills at once...yikes! My dr. once had me take 2 pills a day to stop my bleeding, and that was awful for me! I had terrible symptoms, so I couldn't imagine ever taking 3 pills at once. I bet that's why you had symptoms.

Dairy/Casein Free- March 2007

Gluten Free- May 2007

Soy Free- August 2007

Sugar Free- January 2008

Starch Free- January 2008

Egg Free (again!)- February 2008

Sulfur Free- May 2008

Dx'd Lyme Disease and co-infections- December 2007