This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gluten Free Soy Sauces

Lawrence

Lawrence Apprentice

Hello Everyone,

This afternoon I tried looking for some gluten free soy sauce and I could not find any. I tried calling Trader Joe's, Mrs. Green's, and Whole Foods. Whole Food's said that they had a substitute called Amino's or something but not the San-J that they said they had on their list. Mrs. Green's said that they had wheat free but not gluten free soy sauce and explained that even though it is wheat free it probably has some other gluten ingredient in it. When I went to Mrs. Green's I did not find any wheat free soy sauce. I called up Kari Out and they said the nearest store that sells it is in Connecticut and I live in Yonkers, NY. I cannot believe that in Westchester County and NYC I cannot find a gluten free soy sauce. I called the Whole Foods in Union Square NYC and they said do not bother calling the other stores we have wheat but not gluten free soy sauce. The first one I called was in White Plains. Does anyone know where I can get any type of gluten free soy sauce in Westchester County or NYC?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

melrobsings Contributor
Hello Everyone,

This afternoon I tried looking for some gluten free soy sauce and I could not find any. I tried calling Trader Joe's, Mrs. Green's, and Whole Foods. Whole Food's said that they had a substitute called Amino's or something but not the San-J that they said they had on their list. Mrs. Green's said that they had wheat free but not gluten free soy sauce and explained that even though it is wheat free it probably has some other gluten ingredient in it. When I went to Mrs. Green's I did not find any wheat free soy sauce. I called up Kari Out and they said the nearest store that sells it is in Connecticut and I live in Yonkers, NY. I cannot believe that in Westchester County and NYC I cannot find a gluten free soy sauce. I called the Whole Foods in Union Square NYC and they said do not bother calling the other stores we have wheat but not gluten free soy sauce. The first one I called was in White Plains. Does anyone know where I can get any type of gluten free soy sauce in Westchester County or NYC?

I can find the gluten-free soy sauce in my C'town. i'm in Astoria. I also have found it at Whole Foods. Don't waste your time calling, you have to GO IN and find things.

Lisa Mentor
Hello Everyone,

Maybe you're looking too hard. La Choy is gluten free and can be found almost anywhere and as you mentioned San-J Wheat Free Tamari, is gluten free.

VioletBlue Contributor

Soy Sauce should have a pretty simple ingredient list: Soy Wheat Water and Salt. So if it's wheat free it's a pretty good bet it's gluten free. :D Gotta love it. Sometimes store employees choose to err on the side of caution. So go look at the bottles in the store and read the labels and see. The two brands I know of that are gluten free are the San J and LaChoy. LaChoy is not the best tasting stuff, but it may be easier to find in a mainstream grocery store.

Lawrence Apprentice

Can you get my the address of the C Town store that you go to so I can go there too? I am sure there is more than one C Town in Astoria. I am not familiar with Queens but I know where Astoria is. It is not too far. If I go I guess I will buy many especially if the bottles are small. Thanks for letting me know there is one in Astoria.

gottaBGfree Newbie

I have found it easy to shop gluten free at walmart!! when the Great Value aka walmart brand is gluten free it will be clearly labeled as such near the bottom of the ingredients label!! The Great Value soy sauce is gluten-free! I shop for all I can find at walmart, even though I hate to fight with the crowd there. It has saved me $$, so I take those savings to splurge for the things I like in specialty stores:)

larry mac Enthusiast

May I suggest Eden Organic Tamari Soy Sauce, it's quite tasty! I've always been pretty particular about soy sauce, Kikkomans my brand (ex). The few unfortunate times I got cheap and tried something such as Kroger brand, I quickly returned it for a refund.

Is the Edens gluten-free? I believe it is. Here's the ingredients:

~ water

~ organic soybeans

~ sea salt

~ alcohol (to preserve freshness)

~ Koji

"Naturally brewed"

"Eden Tamari is the type of soy sauce that is characterized as Wheat Free. It's fermented more quickly than traditional tamari. Koji inoculated soybeans are aged for six months in this accelerated brewing process. Tamari was originally the by-product of miso making. Today it is mash brewed. Tamari imparts a stronger more pronounced flavor like that of miso. Compare it to some Eden Shoyu, is our request."

"Meticulous tracking and audited records guarantee the purity of this food from the farm to your table."

"Eden Foods Inc. Clinton, Michigan."

OK, so there you go. It's a little more expensive, but well worth it IMHO. I think I got it at Central Market or Whole Foods. I have no idea what Koji and miso are exactly, but I googled them when I first got it and pretty sure not wheat derived.

Best regards, lm

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lawrence Apprentice

Thanks everyone for your replies. I was able to find La Choy over at my local Super Stop&Shop. I guess I was just looking too hard. I thought the health food stores would have something but I guess they don't. Also I wanted Kari Out because it seems to me to be the ultimate gluten free soy sauce but I guess La Choy will do.

jkmunchkin Rising Star

Hi Lawrence,

You can find the San-J Wheat Free Tamari in many locations around you. I would definately recommend it over the La Choy.

I buy it all the time at Whole Foods in White Plains, any of the Mrs. Greens, Stop & Shop in White Plains (by the mall) and the one in North White Plains. But in Stop & Shop it won't be with the rest of the sauces. It's in an aisle were they have a lot of gluten free and organic stuff. It used to be over by produce, but they may have moved it to a bigger isle. Check both.

Also, you should check out DeCicco's in Ardsley. Not for the soy sauce (not sure if they have it, they very well might), but they have an incredible gluten free section. Stuff that you are not going to find almost anywhere else. They carry tons of products by The Grainless Baker (which has the best gluten-free breads and goodies), gluten-free ravioli, stuffed shells and pierogies by Conte's, Joan's gluten-free Great Bakes (the best bagels and english muffins), Celiac Specialties donuts, Kinnickinick (they just ordered the waffles, which are the best frozen waffles), Namaste mixes, etc. There is a seperate freezer section just for all the gluten free products. There are several DeCicco's locations in Westchester (and I think one in Rockland), but the Ardsley one is the only one that seems to carry all the gluten free stuff.

Let me know if you need any more gluten-free Westchester tips :)

Archived