This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

I Cant Believe Im Saying This But....

Glutenfreefamily

Glutenfreefamily Enthusiast

Diarrhea from cross contamination is much better than constipation for me :ph34r::blink:

I was like this for about 10 hours this weekend :blink: :blink: Of course I had no red bull either and was too sick to get some from the store. I was glutened in the grocery store, Im assuming its because of the bakery as I walked past there and there were ladies baking within a few feet of me. I could not think at all, I felt like a drug addict because I was so out of it.

I had the worst case of brain fog I have ever had, I cant believe it lasted for 10 hours and of course I was glutened on a busy day in the morning so I was horribly unproductive that day. This is also the first time I had been constipated from gluten as its always diarrhea.

I wonder if it lasted so long because my body didn't force its evacuation, I hope to goodness I never get another glutening like that again. Anybody else swing from one to the other and notice your symptoms lasted longer than normal with constipation?

Thanks

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ravenwoodglass Mentor

I was dealing with something similar last spring after my bout with diverticulitis. In my case it was not gluten it turned out to be soy. Soy gave me very similar mental effects but clogs my system for days. My BMs will look like train wrecks, little pieces distinct that ball up at the end of the line and are very difficult to pass. The only thing I found that helps that is not a med of some sort is sweet potatoes. I assume it is the added fiber that helps but it works for me within 24 hours without any cramps or other unpleasent side effects.

You may want to look at soy reactions as a possibility.

darlindeb25 Collaborator

Me too! When I get constipated, it is either soy or corn causing the problem, never gluten. I honestly do not think walking past the bakery in your grocery store will gluten you, I can't be sure of course, yet I do doubt it. I will say though, after over 7 yrs of being gluten free, the smell of fresh baked bread in a bakery no longer makes me want it, now it kind of makes me feel like running the other way!!!! I guess it's like a turning point in my celiac life, up until now, I still wanted bread when I smelled it, but lately, the scent has been making me turn away.

It's not unusual for a celiac to be intolerant of soy too. I was gluten free for 3 yrs before my soy intolerance reared it's ugly head and it was another 6 months or so before corn joined the group. They say the gluten intolerance hides the other intolerance's for a while. Live and learn huh?

Im positive it wasnt soy since I avoid it usually and have lately been avoiding it and eating a whole foods vegan diet. I cant imagine how I would get glutened otherwise since we didnt attend parties or have any gluten products in the home but ah well at least its done now. Im sure its gluten since I had my standard seizure which is my classic symptom since I was little.

I have been gluten free for over 2 years and now gluten totally turns me off, I do not want to feel what I use to feel before changing our diets.

hathor Contributor

I have heard several people notice that they felt glutened and the only thing they can think of is being in places where there may be flour in the air. So it is not impossible.

Is it possible that some product you bought was cross-contaminated? Those "made on the same equipment" type warnings are strictly voluntary. Anything new you've tried, either a food or a personal care product? You carefully read labels on everything?

Yes, it is frustrating when you have a reaction and any possibility you come up with seems so unlikely. But I guess unlikely things do happen sometimes.

Leslie-FL Rookie

I have wondered, myself, about flour in the air when someone is baking. So far I have had no reaction when going to places where baking is done, but I don't know that I've ever been somewhere WHILE they are doing their baking.

I wanted to help my mother with her holiday baking this year because she has a foot injury and standing for long periods of time is hard for her, but I was so leery of the flour-in-the-air thing. I offered to get one of those masks like they sell in the paint department, but my mom was just as concerned about it as I was and wouldn't let me help her.

Hathor- Thanks :) I have been doing mwl program so the only thing I can think of in terms of food if it had it on the skin of my veggies and it didnt get washed off properly. I havent used any new products. I hope its not corn :unsure: since that is used on a spray on my veggies and fruit. I would think I would still have it though since I have been eating them all along. I use to wash them with baking powder but not for the last six months since I have had to be really careful with my salt intake. Does red bull have soy in it? That is the only thing I have drank a few times this week for migraines.

Leslie- Thanks :) I could see the flour poof into the air :blink: when she threw some kind of dough onto the table within a few feet behind a counter as I was walking past. I panicked right there just wondering if it was going to happen. I know how you feel with wanting to help your Mom but I wouldnt risk it.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

hathor Contributor

Red Bull has no soy in it, but I suppose it could contain something else that bothers you. Or have you had it before without problems?

So far I havent noticed problems with it, I drink it with migraines and when I have been glutened since it seems to help the headaches and me being tired.

Thanks Again :)

misdiagnosed6yrs Apprentice

Did you wash the handles on the cart? Or maybe touched something? Probably but that was my first thought

Archived