This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Roommate Eats Gluten

Terbie

Terbie Apprentice

Can someone could give me advice about living with a roommate who eats tons of gluten and not getting CC issues?

I got a set of kitchen utensils and measuring cups for Christmas that are exclusively mine (aka never to touch gluten). I never use her toaster, but we do share pots, pans, plates, cups, forks/knives/spoons, etc. We share a microwave too.

How careful do I need to be and how do I ensure things are clean enough after her use? Does everything need to go through a dishwasher (pots and pans too?) before I use it or is cleaning it in the sink fine? Has anyone else run into this problem?

My roommate isn't really sensitive to my new gluten-free life and is careless making sure our food isn't CCed (ex: she will use my butter instead of hers to spead on her toast). I've been thinking that it might be a good idea to move out and try to live with someone who respects my illness better. Thoughts?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Ursa Major Collaborator

You may let her know that every time she uses your butter, she has to buy you new butter, as you now can't use it any more. Keep track of how much she owes you as a result of her carelessness. Since both of you probably don't have a lot of money, that might help.

Also, make rules. Dedicate parts of the kitchen as gluten-free only, and make her stick to her parts. Get her to agree that she will clean up after eating gluten food, because it isn't fair for you to clean up her mess.

If nothing works, you may have to find better living arrangements. In order to be able to learn, you need to be well. You can't do a good job with your classes if you get glutened all the time, or else have to worry that you will get glutened.

Terbie Apprentice

Making a list is a really good idea. I'll start using that. I think it might get her to understand a bit better. Thanks for the suggestion!

I also realized that this post should go underneath "Coping With" section, so I'll post it there too. Sorry everyone, I'm new!

b91hd7fjk Apprentice
Making a list is a really good idea. I'll start using that. I think it might get her to understand a bit better. Thanks for the suggestion!

I also realized that this post should go underneath "Coping With" section, so I'll post it there too. Sorry everyone, I'm new!

I have had to do this!!!

We totally divided the kitchen....i had one half of the sink, one part of the counter, refridgerator and freezer. I kept all my own sponges, pots, pans, silver wear, plates etc. It can be pricey but let me tell u it is so worth it!! I even went so far as buying my own toaster oven (to avoid the glutened oven) george forman grill and all sorts of appliances and cookware. Even towels....all my own. Color cordination helps a lot and I used a lot of disinfectant.

Good Lcuk!!!

-Staci

num1habsfan Rising Star

Do you have any form of instant messenger?? If you do please add me. Ask anyone on this forum, I've had to REALLY struggle with this since living with my roommate!! And I'd gladly talk to ya about it

~ Lisa ~

Jodi Mills Apprentice

Hey, I also live with a gluten eating roomate. I have my own pots and pans and area in the kitchen, and if he makes a mess with his gluten food, then he is to clean it up. i think for the most part he cleans up after me too. The good thing is he only eats his gluten food when i am not there, but we have gluten free breakfasts and dinners. and since he is lactose intolerant, i try to accomodate him with that to, but at least they make pills for that..

babygirl1234 Rookie

i live with my aunt and uncle who arnt gluten-free and they make sure not to put anything on my food my aunt does the cooking and she always says how hard it is to cook for me because i can only have certin foods, and yes living with someone who isnt gluten-free and you are is very hard, because i see my aunt eatting something good and i would have to tell myslef that i cant eat it because if i do i would suffer for it and its not worth getting sick over

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived