• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

AColor

Lotions With Gluten

Rate this topic

There is a lotion that I would like to use, but I have discovered that it has Barley Extract in it. I have been gluten-free for two years, and I am very strict about not eating any gluten. My symptoms, when I had them two years ago, were not of the dermatitis kind. My question is this: even though I understand that we should avoid lotions with gluten, if I don't ingest the lotion, how can it cause symtoms? Do I really need to be so strict about lotions?

The biggest problem with lotions is, that you apply them with your hands. You also prepare food and eat with your hands. And if you use the lotion for dry hands, then it wouldn't make any sense to then have to wash your hands with soap and water to wash off the lotion, so you don't gluten yourself.

Also, if you apply it to your face for instance, and then touch your face (or whatever part of your body you put it on) and don't wash your hands before eating, you can gluten yourself.

Unless you are constantly aware of the potential for glutening, and washing your hands every time before you touch food, or even pick your teeth or put a finger in your mouth for whatever reason, you WILL get glutened from lotion containing gluten.

Personally, I won't use ANY personal care products containing gluten. That way I won't have to be paranoid and being vigilant about constantly washing my hands. It would drive me nuts!

I completely agree with Ursa. It's just not worth it to me to use personal care products with gluten, especially hand lotion. You put it on, touch everything in your house, now you've got gluten all over the place, you wash your hands, accidentally touch something you've touched pre-handwashing, eat your lunch and you get glutened. To me it's just too risky, and it's not something I want to be constantly thinking about.

There is a lotion that I would like to use, but I have discovered that it has Barley Extract in it. I have been gluten-free for two years, and I am very strict about not eating any gluten. My symptoms, when I had them two years ago, were not of the dermatitis kind. My question is this: even though I understand that we should avoid lotions with gluten, if I don't ingest the lotion, how can it cause symtoms? Do I really need to be so strict about lotions?

it can't.

if you really want to use it, use it on your legs, and then wash your hands and don't touch your legs. if you were goign to use it anywhere else, even though theres probably a very small amount of gluten in it, it will get on your hands, you will eat with your hands, and theres a chance you could get some in your mouth. its a personal choice, if you want to scrub your hands really well after using it, which sort of defeats the purpose of it as a hand lotion, go for it. You need to be a little more cautious with something like this than shampoo, its the same as lip gloss, it has a high probability of getting into your mouth. It will not however get into your digestive tract through your skin.

I wouldn't want the hassle, not when there are so many wonderful lotions out there. It's not like theres a limited selection. If you get really fed up, just apply a natural body oil after your shower. Less icky additives anyway.

it can't.

if you really want to use it, use it on your legs, and then wash your hands and don't touch your legs.

Oh, I like that idea - the lotion i've been using to reduce shaving (and i need all the help I can get) has oat on the label in the store (tho not on the bottle i have - which i probaby bought on clearance when they were switching lol). I was really not wanting to quit using it, but that makes sense - if its only on my legs once a day, thats manageable

BTW, i ended up getting a cvs brand, but was bummed becuase i couldnt find much INTERESTING lotions (lavendar scented would be nice) that didnt have oats in them. Any ideas?

Oh, I like that idea - the lotion i've been using to reduce shaving (and i need all the help I can get) has oat on the label in the store (tho not on the bottle i have - which i probaby bought on clearance when they were switching lol). I was really not wanting to quit using it, but that makes sense - if its only on my legs once a day, thats manageable

BTW, i ended up getting a cvs brand, but was bummed becuase i couldnt find much INTERESTING lotions (lavendar scented would be nice) that didnt have oats in them. Any ideas?

See, I'd even freak about having it on my legs. It would get on my pants, then in my laundry basket, and blah blah blah..... What about 'gettin nekkid' with your significant other? Will it get all over them? I wouldn't use a lotion on my legs if my boyfriend couldn't appreciate the result, but that's just me. Every store I've ever been in had a different selection of lotions. And then there's amazon!

What about 'gettin nekkid' with your significant other? Will it get all over them?

Ok, that brings up another question i've been wanting to ask but not sure how . . .or where . .about hubby not being off gluten, and certain things we do . . . could I be glutened by him??:huh:

Kissing is the one thing you have to be careful with. Ask him to at least rinse his mouth before kissing you if he has just eaten something with gluten. And maybe better to brush teeth as well.

Pauliina

Kissing is the one thing you have to be careful with. Ask him to at least rinse his mouth before kissing you if he has just eaten something with gluten. And maybe better to brush teeth as well.

Pauliina

I actually have a friend who got so sensitive that even after brushing, gluten caught in her husband's salivary glands would still gluten her hours later. I hope that doesn't happen to me. But gluten can't magically appear in any other, um, 'stuff'.......

Thought I would share an e-mail I just rec'd (2-11-08) from Johnson and Johnson.

(I asked about a couple lotions in particular. With some companies if you ask if they have a gluten free list, they just say to look at the label b/c they have too many products to have a gluten free list and ingredients change.)

Thank you for contacting the Johnson & Johnson Consumer Companies, Inc.

Information Center. It is always important to hear from our

consumers, and we appreciate the time you have taken to contact us.

With regard to your recent inquiry, The following products are gluten

free:

Johnson's