Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hello, my name is Mary and I am new to the site. I have had celiac disease since December 2003 and started the diet in January 2004. I have never intentionally cheated but have had my share of unfortuante accidents. I have read a forum on here from 2005 about swiss miss being gluten free. It is on the list of gluten free foods HOWEVER, I put one in my lunch box this morning for work and was ready to open it and on the the lid it says TAPIOCA MAY CONTAIN WHEAT. Now the ingrediants did not say that when I bought it and this would be my first time trying this so I am not sure what to do. Maybe the tapioca was grown in fields where wheat was. HELP

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I'm going to guess that the tapioca was processed in a facility which also processes wheat. Though many flours we typically use are milled in facilities where wheat is milled, there are a number of people whom are sensitive to very low levels and thus need to only use products which are processed in gluten-free facilities. If that's you, then don't drink it.

Also, many companies avoid specifying gluten-free when they cannot confirm with absolute certainty, as part of their legal efforts to avoid being sued.

Sorry I cannot be more helpful.

Welcome to the board!

A spherical meteorite 10 km in diameter traveling at 20 km/s has the kinetic energy equal to the calories in 550,000,000,000,000,000 Twinkies.

Hi Mary and welcome :)

My guess would be that since Swiss Miss is made by Con Agra--a company that will disclose any gluten on the label--they were warning of the chance of cross contamination.

Quite possibly, the tapioca was processed in a facility or on the same equipment as gluten.

I think it's great that they put this on the packaging, so people can then make their own decision as to whether or not to consume it.

Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev