This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

I Must Vent My Frustrations

radgirl

radgirl Enthusiast

Every time I think I've finally made it fully gluten free - BAM - I get hit with some more. It's bad enough that I must inspect every ounce of my food before it hits my mouth. I must look at my shampoo, conditioner, soaps, and lotions. Now, to make matters worse, there is barely in my deodorant and wheat amino acids in my hair color!!! Does this madness ever stop?! Since when is barley an essential ingredient in wetness and odor protection in a deodorant? What is the purpose of wheat amino acids in hair color?! I'm absolutely fed up!!! I cannot stand this anymore. I must check every single, solitary label so this stuff doesn't kill me. Every time I think I'm doing well and have my food under control, NOPE!!! It's something else. I want to scream!!!! Thank you for hearing me out.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

pixiegirl Enthusiast

Well yep you're frustrated all right! The only saving grace is that over time you get it figured out...which things have gluten and which don't. I don't even much think about it any more.

Also each person has to make their own decisions on products. For example, I don't use a shampoo that has wheat in it because I think the transfer from hair to mouth could happen. But I personally would use a hair color that had it. It would get washed out when you shampoo after the hair color.

I've never even checked my anti perspirant and I don't think it would much matter to me. I can tell you that I never put my hands under my arm pits during the day. (I rarely even put my hands on my face once I'm out of the bathroom, I've convinced myself this is one of the major keys to NOT getting a cold or flu).

I am very sensitive to any gluten that I accidently ingest but I've not had any problem at all with products. So we all must decide how far we will go.

Susan

RiceGuy Collaborator

It seems to me that armpits are a tender area of skin, and prone to infections, rashes, irritation, etc. Heck, I already know I react to even the smell of scented soaps, detergents, dryer sheets, perfumes, dyes...the list goes on and on.

I saw a demonstration once where a guy put his finger in a cup of liquid, and in seconds he had a strong garlic taste in his mouth! I've heard you can get a similar effect from rubbing garlic on the bottom of your foot. So yes, the skin does absorb stuff. I suppose the best example though, is that allergists often put small amounts of things on your skin to test for allergies. So it doesn't have to actually reach one's mouth to cause a reaction.

blueeyedmanda Community Regular
I saw a demonstration once where a guy put his finger in a cup of liquid, and in seconds he had a strong garlic taste in his mouth! I've heard you can get a similar effect from rubbing garlic on the bottom of your foot. So yes, the skin does absorb stuff. I suppose the best example though, is that allergists often put small amounts of things on your skin to test for allergies. So it doesn't have to actually reach one's mouth to cause a reaction.

Very interesting...I never knew that.

radgirl Enthusiast
It seems to me that armpits are a tender area of skin, and prone to infections, rashes, irritation, etc. Heck, I already know I react to even the smell of scented soaps, detergents, dryer sheets, perfumes, dyes...the list goes on and on.

This is exactly why I'm so very frustrated because of my skin reactions. Now keep in mind that I've only been using this stuff for a week or so (I've used it before, but only yesterday found out that it had barely in it). I'm just frustrated and appreciate you all listening to me. This isn't something I'm new to, but it never ceases to amaze me the odd places gluten can be found.

Archived