This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Dry Face Skin

mcdoncj

mcdoncj Newbie

Does anyone have dry facial skin. Seems to be dry skin & flaky especially around my hairline & sides of my face. I have just gotten this. I have had celiac for years & have it very much under control, but, this latest thing is awful. If anyone has this problem please answer this & what you did for it. Thank You so much!!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

MySuicidalTurtle Enthusiast

I have the flakeness around my forehead and nose so bad. I used to be in the pool year round (swimming, polo, and synchro) and had some flakeyness but never as bas as when I went gluten-free. It drives me mad.

Canadian Karen Community Regular

I have the exact same thing also.... around my nose and in the centre of my forehead just above my eyebrows... Also, this time of year, I also get extremely dry scalp that drives me bananas.... Haven't found anything to relieve it yet....

If anyone finds a solution, let me know!!!!

Karen

darlindeb25 Collaborator
;) try to find a good peppermint lotion--i found the best one i have ever had from a store in michigan called, "World Market" but they have since quit making it :( and it is excellent--i have used it on sunburn--takes the sting out--if i have a headache i put it on my face and it helps with the pain--the scent alone is so cooling--my mom says to put peppermint oil under your eyes--it may just work for dry spots too--i do know my lotion is great for itching--i love it :D deb
jboom Newbie

I get the same thing on my forhead and sides of my nose. I use a scrub and lotion, it doesn't seem to matter what lotion they all work the same. It usually just keeps it from getting any worse not really any better.

Do you think its Celiac related or do we just have dry skin?

I am not sure but I never had it likes this before going gluten-free. . .just a little but now it's bad.

Connie R-E Apprentice

One of those serious scrubby pads (for the skin) will take it away, but I think it is a skin reaction from a food allergy. I'm allergy to soy, and if I eat it, I get the flaky forehead skin, too. If I don't eat soy, I don't get it. Get it? ;)

Everyone has their own unique allergies! It probabily won't even be soy for you--but, it's as good as any to start with!

Good luck narrowing it down!

Connie

gluten-free since 1-'98

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

What exactly are the scrubby things?

Connie R-E Apprentice

:P I'm not exactly a frou-frou girl, so I don't know technically what they are called, but the look kinda like a fiberous synthetic loofa... (or the center of a floor buffing pad)! :wacko: And, they come with a sponge on the other side... ..mine is pink...

LOL!!

Does that help any? :lol:

Connie

Hmm, not really. . .where did you buy yours? I am sure that if I take that discription I would find the product at some bath store!

Pegster Apprentice

Ask for a facial loofah. THey have them at the grocery store in the face products department. You could get one at Walmart or kMart.

plantime Contributor

You might try adding omega-3 oil to your diet. I use ground flax every day, when I don't, the dry flaky skin comes back. My herbal remedies book says that celiacs have problems getting nutrients from fats (as if we didn't know that!), and to consume fish oil supplements. I'm not saying it will work for everyone, it just works for me!

Carriefaith Enthusiast

I have very dry skin. When my face gets really dry and flacky, I use a lotion/cream. Maybe try lotions/creams that are designed for the face. They are usually less harsh.

Carriefaith Enthusiast

also... drink lots and lots of water and take vitamin E supplements. This may help some.

pixiegirl Enthusiast

My favorite scrubby thing is the Buff Puff I use the one for sensitive skin, its not quite as scrubby. People that have very dry skin should only exfoliate about once a week. Drink lots of water, most people don't drink enough. I've had very very dry skin for years, the flakey kind and I discovered La Mer products about 3 years ago. The are the only product for me that keeps the flakies away all day. However, once you see the price of them you will drop over dead, expensive is an understatement.

I've had people tell me that I'm being ripped off by these products but I firmly believe that everyone is different and what works for me may not work for you. People have told me to try Aquaphore (makes me shiney and break outs), eucrine, Oil of Olay, clinic, I've tried them all but still the La Mer is the only one that keeps me flake free. I only use the lotion (not the cream which is way too emolient for even me) and I only use it in the cold months of the year because its too much for me in the summer. And I only need a little bit, so its not as costly for me as it seems.

Susan

flagbabyds Collaborator

Make sure that all your lotions and all your champoos are gluten-free because that can cause dry skin

minibabe Contributor

I have recently been diagnosed and do you have to use gluten-free produts on your skin. And yes I have never had a problem with my skin unitl I went gluten-free. I have it around my hair line and above my eye brows. It is really frustrating b/c I have never had this problem before. Is this directly related to Celiac diease? and if anyone has any ideas please help :(

• 7 months later...
BabySnooks Rookie
I get the same thing on my forhead and sides of my nose. I use a scrub and lotion, it doesn't seem to matter what lotion they all work the same. It usually just keeps it from getting any worse not really any better.

Do you think its Celiac related or do we just have dry skin?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I also just started getting flaking and redness (when I scratch it) on the side of my nose and just above eyebrow. I have psoraisis and thought it was an outbreak, but who knows....it could be something else.

• 3 weeks later...
Connie37 Newbie
I have recently been diagnosed and do you have to use gluten-free produts on your skin.  And yes I have never had a problem with my skin unitl I went gluten-free.  I have it around my hair line and above my eye brows.  It is really frustrating b/c I have never had this problem before.  Is this directly related to Celiac diease? and if anyone has any ideas please help  :(

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Connie37 Newbie

Sorry, I am new at this posting stuff. I have had lots of problems with dry skin. when I quit eating what I was allergic to, it went away. The cod liver oil or Omega 3 may be part of it too. It is in baby food and in animal food to enhance hair and skin and much more.

I do take a cinnamon capsule with it to mask the taste.

I really agree with the ones who said to check for gluten in your products, to cut out all allergy foods and to take the essential oils.

I never believed my skin would look normal again. I also bought a pumice stone by dr scholls and I used a long white paddle Dr scholls makes for feet. My skin is still a little bit of a problem.

The thing is, I was moisturizing over the dry flakes. It never reached my skin. I had to exfoliate first.

There are some skin forums out there. That's where I learned alot. I think its and eczema forum. Sorry I can't remember the exact type of eczema.

God Bless You

Connie

carrielynn Apprentice

My son also has flaky skin. I don't know if this is a result of going gluten-free or not... he may have had flaky skin before hand. But he definitely has it now, especially on his face.

I was reading Dr. Whitaker's Health and Healing newsletter for this month and there was an item about supplementing with silicon in your diet. It says:

"Although you get silicon in your diet, especially from whole grains, absorption diminishes with age. The first signs of silicon deficiency are brittle hair and nails and loss of skin elasticity. That's why supplementing with the most bioavailable form of silicon, stabilized orthosilic acid, is a great way to improve your skin, hair and nails. In a recent study of 40-65 year old women with prematurely aged or sun-damaged skin, this supplement was shown to improve skin elasticity, reduce wrinkle depth, and ameliorate brittleness in nails and hair. A good brand is BioSil from Jarrow Formulas, available in health food stores..."

What caught my eye is that you get silicon from whole grains. If you're not eating whole wheat anymore, then it seems you're not getting the silicon you used to be getting and maybe that affects skin moisture. I don't know, it just seemed that there could be a connection in my mind.

The PhD nutritionist who diagnosed my son with celiac disease (although he has not been "formally" dx with DH, we just think that's what he has) "prescribed" Biosil for him, so he's been taking that for about a month or so. The PhD said it takes 3 months to notice results, so we're being patient.

I'd be interested in hearing other people's experiences with BioSil (or equivalent).

Carrie

Archived