This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

When Glutened At Resteraunt Do You Compain?

shanluts

shanluts Apprentice

We went out to lunch today. I choose the pricier seafood resteraunt...hoping that they would be more knowledgable of the menu than somewhere fast. I explained gluten-free issue with the server. She left and came back and said "she said you can have salmon and vegetable or chicken". I HATE salmon and could have made grilled chicken at home (plus neither was on the lunch menu)...so I was disappointed. She really made me feel STUPID. I wanted to crawl in a hole. I was also angry that "she" whoever she was didnt come to the table herself. Even McDonalds would have sent a manager over (maybe not)LOL . After looking at this HUGE menu I thought I might ask if she could check on the grilled shrimp and green lettuce salad. She said this was fine and all dressing were confirmed safe as they make them in house. Well, as dinner was ending my stomach was so tight and crampy! I knew I had been glutened. We were to go somewhere after and I said I would have to be safe and go home. Trust me LUCKY I did. This is WAY more the cross contamination.

I want to call and compain sooooooooooooo bad. They are playing with peoples lives! Then I think that they must think "She should just stay home".

I really need to purchase so salad dressing packets to keep with me.

Now that my weekend is ruined....any advise.

Shannon

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

HAK1031 Enthusiast

I normally would say no, I wouldn't complain only about a glutening. You know that you are taking a risk by eating there and are aware of it, and accidents happen. You can't blame a restaurant for not having extensive knowledge of all of the pitfalls of gluten-free cooking. Restaurants have gotten rid of their gluten-free menus because they were sued over something that was supposed to be gluten-free.

That said, I might complain about the poor service or that you felt ignored. You weren't treated right at this restaurant. I wouldn't go back there...obviously. And make sure that you ask for the manager directly next time.

:( feel better!

Lisa Mentor

I agree with HAK. When I order something off the menu (whether gluten free or not), I assume 100% of the risk. Anytime I eat out I assume the risk.

Poor and uneducated service is definitely something to report to the management.

Ursa Major Collaborator

The best way to handle restaurants is to call ahead of going and ask to talk to a manager. You explain the situation, and ask if he/she thinks they could accommodate you, and make sure you can eat there safely.

If a manager guarantees your safety ahead of time, he/she will likely look after you themselves, as they can't risk looking bad and maybe losing their job.

If you just go and rely on a waitress, you are assuming the risk right there.

home-based-mom Contributor

After thinking about this, I believe you need to let them know what happened. Explain what you said and what was said to you, what you wound up ordering and why you chose what you did, and how your evening was ruined because of your experience in their restaurant. You don't need to play the blame game ~ "just the facts, ma'am" will do fine.

The reason you need to do this is because if you don't, they will think everything went fine, and that they did a good job of meeting your special needs. They didn't, but they won't know that if you don't tell them.

kenlove Rising Star

I think its always good to let the restaurant know what happened in a way that makes them want to learn more about our problem and what they can do to help and keep customers happy and coming back.

We've been working on a dos and donts list for restaurants in Hawaii as a way to educate them. Most people in that business may have heard of celiac but they sure dont know all the areas which are dangerous for us, especially where CC is concerned. Feel free to use the list and give it to the restaurant. In general the more we let people know about it, the easier it will become for us to go out and enjoy a restaurant meal.

Good luck

gluten15 Apprentice

As soon as I read your post..that's what I thought of.

If you don't let them know..they will think they did it right.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

shanluts Apprentice

Great advise all. Thanks.

I did call the resteraunt under the guise of "helping them". The waitress told me that they have another lady "like me" come in...so I explained to the manager what happened. I told her that I wanted her to know in case more "like me" came in. She told me she told me what to order based on the other customers orders. No knowledge or research done! NICE. I suspected the certified safe homemade dressings. I asked what they put in the homemade ranch dressing that I ate. She said I am sure it wasnt that as I asked the prep guy and he said it was fine. Then she revelealed Hidden Valley ranch packets were in it. EUREKA. She asked what was wrong with me. I explained "symptoms like the stomach flu". and she said she had no idea that food could do that. Poor girl. She really felt bad.

I really want to learn how to educate local resteraunts. That is my new mission. Once my nauseau, D, and vomiting stop.... that is!

Shannon

kenlove Rising Star

Hi,, I sent you the list we are working on for Hawaii and a list from Italy which I found somewhere on the forum. I bet there are other things on the forum which you could work into something for your area. Look for a local culinary school too. They may be very thankful for whatever you can give them.

Open Original Shared Link

is a paper I put together for ours in Kona. All the culinary students now get a copy.

Its a good mission for all of us!

Ken

Great advise all. Thanks.

I did call the resteraunt under the guise of "helping them". The waitress told me that they have another lady "like me" come in...so I explained to the manager what happened. I told her that I wanted her to know in case more "like me" came in. She told me she told me what to order based on the other customers orders. No knowledge or research done! NICE. I suspected the certified safe homemade dressings. I asked what they put in the homemade ranch dressing that I ate. She said I am sure it wasnt that as I asked the prep guy and he said it was fine. Then she revelealed Hidden Valley ranch packets were in it. EUREKA. She asked what was wrong with me. I explained "symptoms like the stomach flu". and she said she had no idea that food could do that. Poor girl. She really felt bad.

I really want to learn how to educate local resteraunts. That is my new mission. Once my nauseau, D, and vomiting stop.... that is!

Shannon

babysteps Contributor

also on allergic girl blog check out her "the Cheers experience" link Open Original Shared Link- it's her protocol for eating out. You may have to scroll to the top of your screen to see the main part. She has multiple anaphylactic allergies so is really careful.

jkmunchkin Rising Star
I agree with HAK. When I order something off the menu (whether gluten free or not), I assume 100% of the risk. Anytime I eat out I assume the risk.

Poor and uneducated service is definitely something to report to the management.

Agreed.

Archived