Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

stolly

Birth Weight

Do (undiagnosed) celiac women tend to have large babies, or does it vary greatly? We just found out DD2 has celiac, so I am going to be tested soon. I'm just curious b/c she was 6 lbs, 15 ounces, however my 4 month old son was a whopping 9 lbs, 12 ounces (tested negative for gestational diabetes). Everyone was shocked at how huge he was considering DD was on the smaller side. I've also noticed a lot of GI symtpoms for me the past few months, so I'm wondering if there is a connection between celiac moms and birth weight. Thanks

Holly

DD5: juveline rheumatoid arthritis 8/07; celiac 3/08

DS3: negative blood tests

Me and DH: negative blood tests

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I've never heard of a link, which doesn't mean there isn't one.

My kids were big at birth-- the first was 8lbs 5 oz, the second was 10 lbs 5 oz--both boys. I was undiagnosed at the time.

Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

Join eNewsletter

Both of my pre-celiac disease diagnosis babies were on the small side. My daughter was 4 pounds 15 ounces (born at 35 weeks) and my son was 6 pounds 9 ounces (36 weeks). Our baby that was born after I was dx was 6 pounds 2 ounces (born at 38 weeks). I have more often heard stories of babies on the smaller side in undiagnosed women. If you do come up with a link between undiagnosed celiac disease and big babies, I'd be interested to hear about it.

-Colleen

Dx 8/05 via bloodwork and biopsy (total villous atrophy)

13-year old son Dx 11/05 via bloodwork and biopsy

Daughters (16 and 5) have tested negative via bloodwork

A woman is like a tea bag - you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water. - Eleanor Roosevelt

Join eNewsletter

I have 3 children.

1st was male, 7 lbs 8.5oz

2nd - female, 7 lbs 2 oz

3rd - male, 8 lbs 12 oz - we call him "hoss." LOL!

Oddly enough, at 2.5 - he's only 27 lbs.

My "problems" didn't start until after my 3rd was born. I consider him my "trigger."

Jayhawkmom -

Mom of three....

Jay - 11

Bean - 8

Ian - 3

Join eNewsletter

It is normal for the first baby to be smaller than the next ones.

My first daughter was 6 lbs 13 oz

The second daughter 8 lbs 2 oz

My son 8 lbs 2 oz

next daughter 8 lbs 15 1/2 oz

last daughter 8 lbs 8 oz

The largest daughter is the same height as the smallest (first) one now (5 feet 6 inches), and those two are the skinniest ones, too.

My son is 6 feet tall but too skinny (I suspect he has celiac disease as well, but he won't get tested).

My youngest daughter is gluten intolerant, but the tallest of the girls, at 5 feet, 8 1/2 inches, half an inch taller than my second daughter.

I think all of my kids are gluten intolerant, they all have symptoms. But only the oldest and the youngest are gluten-free.

When I had those kids I was quite ill. And I had 'morning sickness' day and night for the whole nine months of every pregnancy. I am sure it was the celiac disease that was doing that.

I am a German citizen, married to a Canadian 29 years, four daughters, one son, seven granddaughters and four grandsons, with one more grandchild on the way in July 2009.

Intolerant to all lectins (including gluten), nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant) and salicylates.

Asperger Syndrome, Tourette Syndrome, Addison's disease (adrenal insufficiency), hypothyroidism, fatigue syndrome, asthma

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Join eNewsletter

I was 10lbs 4 oz :lol: and was told I looked like a quarterback (and no, my mom did not have a c-section! according to the ultrasound I was small :huh: )

Gluten Free since 10/07

Mildly Lactose Intolerant, slight intestinal symptoms after eating milk products, but easily corrected with lactase enzyme

Endometriosis- DX'd 5/07

Gluten Antibodies- "negative"...don't know exact numbers, am highly suspicious...

DXed celiac 12-19-07 via genetics/elimination diet- DQ2 allele

Brother with Celiac, aspergers...his tests were all negative (he didn't have genetics done), including endoscopy, but he definitely is at the least gluten intolerant...highly suspect my mother has it as well- she has hyperthyroid, fibromyalgia, hemochromatosis, and now colon cancer, and she has been weak and exhausted and just generally sick. She's going to get tested.

Join eNewsletter

my kids were

first son, born 8 yrs ago today lol

second son

third was a girl

fourth a girl

so mine went back and forth and i think my second son was my trigger.

paula

gluten, casein and soy free

on low carb/low sugar diet

Join eNewsletter

Honestly, I dont think it matters. I was undiagnosed, and my symptoms started with my 2nd pregnancy, or at least progressively worsened then.

1st son was 8#10ozs and is now 5'11" and average weight

2nd son was 8#2ozs and is now 6'2" and a little above average weight

3rd son was 8#10ozs and is now 6'3" and skinny

4th son was 9#14ozs and is now 6'3" and heavy, probably celiac

5th daughter was 7#13ozs and is now 5'5" and a little above average and possibly celiac too

My daughter was born with a malformed hip, which I honestly feel was caused by my malnutrition from undiagnosed celiac disease. I was very sick while pregnant with 4 of the 5, worse with the last 2, my youngest is now 25 yrs old. My 4th son has has thyroid problems, hypertension, GERD--but his doctor didn't feel it necessary to test him for celiac because he doesn't look like a celiac! :angry: What do we look like anyways?????????

Deb

Long Island, NY

Double DQ1, subtype 6

We urge all doctors to take time to listen to your patients.. don't "isolate" symptoms but look at the whole spectrum. If a patient tells you s/he feels as if s/he's falling apart and "nothing seems to be working properly", chances are s/he's right!

"The calm river of your life approaches the rocky chute of the rapids - flow on through. You are the same water. The rocks cannot hurt you. Remember, now and then, that you are the water and not the boat. Flow on!

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter