Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I drink alot of green tea, usually organic. I've noticed since going Gluten-free Casein-free that certain teas have given me either a casein like reaction (tight throat), or as today a stomach ache. Today I had Numi brand jasmine green tea and my stomach has been hurting ever since. I had had breakfast (gluten-free pancakes) 3 hours earlier so I don't think it could have been from that. What's the liklihood of tea getting cross contaminated with wheat?

thanks,

Liz

Liz

Positive enterolab results 11/07:

-antigliadin IgA: 56 (normal <10)

-antitissue tTG IgA: 39 (normal <10)

-anti-casein IgA: 34 (normal <10)

-HLA-DQ: 2,1 (2,6)

Positive blood test IgA and IgG 12/07

Gluten-free Casein-free since 12/07

mostly soy free since 12/07

Diagnosed with adrenal fatigue 08/07

Diagnosed hypothyroid 01/08

Still have mercury fillings, high mercury and lead

Multiple chemical sensitivities

9 year old daughter positive enterolab test for gluten, casein, soy and egg with HLA-DQ 3,1 (7,6)--mostly exhibits behavioral reactions to foods including food dyes, MSG, aspartame

Mother passed away 3 years ago of adenocarcinoma of unknown primary. Two years prior had diarrhea causing her to weigh 86 pounds...Mayo clinic told her to take pepto bismol. NO test for celiac, lifelong hx of ulcers, osteoporosis. I now know she had the celiac gene (my dad has DQ1) and was probably undiagnosed her whole life.

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I drink alot of green tea, usually organic. I've noticed since going Gluten-free Casein-free that certain teas have given me either a casein like reaction (tight throat), or as today a stomach ache. Today I had Numi brand jasmine green tea and my stomach has been hurting ever since. I had had breakfast (gluten-free pancakes) 3 hours earlier so I don't think it could have been from that. What's the liklihood of tea getting cross contaminated with wheat?

thanks,

Liz

Have you looked into the packaging?

Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

Join eNewsletter

If its only green tea its fine. Some of the blends even herein Japan have mugi or barley mixed with them. Dont know numi but has soon as I saw jasmine green then it rang a bell as a blend.

Ken

thanks,

Liz

"Ryo tatereba mi ga tatanu"

If we try to serve both sides, we cannot stand our own ground.

Japanese proverb

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Join eNewsletter

Have you looked into the packaging?

I checked the Numi website and they claim their teas are all gluten-free and processed far away from any gluten. Doubt it's the packaging. I'm now thinking maybe it was from the WEstbrae organic baked beans or the gluten-free pancakes I had had in the morning and just had a delayed reaction or something. Guess i'll have to just experiment! I've only been Gluten-free Casein-free for 3 months, and i'm almost thinking I should purposefully gluten myself a little because I really don' t know what to expect or how to interpret my reactions. I know what my casein reactions are , but am very unclear about gluten since i've been so strict in avoiding it and never did have many digestive reactions.

anyway, thanks for the input!

Liz

Liz

9 year old daughter positive enterolab test for gluten, casein, soy and egg with HLA-DQ 3,1 (7,6)--mostly exhibits behavioral reactions to foods including food dyes, MSG, aspartame

Mother passed away 3 years ago of adenocarcinoma of unknown primary. Two years prior had diarrhea causing her to weigh 86 pounds...Mayo clinic told her to take pepto bismol. NO test for celiac, lifelong hx of ulcers, osteoporosis. I now know she had the celiac gene (my dad has DQ1) and was probably undiagnosed her whole life.

Join eNewsletter

I checked the Numi website and they claim their teas are all gluten-free and processed far away from any gluten. Doubt it's the packaging. I'm now thinking maybe it was from the WEstbrae organic baked beans or the gluten-free pancakes I had had in the morning and just had a delayed reaction or something. Guess i'll have to just experiment! I've only been Gluten-free Casein-free for 3 months, and i'm almost thinking I should purposefully gluten myself a little because I really don' t know what to expect or how to interpret my reactions. I know what my casein reactions are , but am very unclear about gluten since i've been so strict in avoiding it and never did have many digestive reactions.

anyway, thanks for the input!

Liz

Think I figured it out. The baked beans have "organic grain vinegar" in them...does that mean wheat? I just don't understand why I felt totally fine after eating them, and not until 3 hours later did my intestines hurt...does this mean the food was in my stomach for that long before going to the small intestine? yikes!

Liz

Liz

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter