This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Reflux?

Gez

Gez Rookie

Many of you say that you suffered from heartburn or reflux before going gluten free. As a fellow sufferer can you tell me if the heartburn and reflux eventually went away and how long that took. Also How many of you also had a hiatal hernia and were relieved of the symptoms of heartburn. I

I've been gluten free for 2 weeks and I feel so much better that i feel like I'm in somebody else's body but I still have some reflux. Grateful for any responses.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

SillyBoo Newbie

I found that my heartburn and reflux disappeared in the first month or so after going gluten-free. However, that was one of the last symptoms that appeared for me before I was diagnosed. The longer-standing problems seem to take longer to resolve, in my experience. Was this a primary symptom for you?

If your reflux persists, you might consider checking out other possible food issues that could be contributing.

Good luck!

Ursa Major Collaborator

I used to have severe reflux, and I also have a hiatal hernia.

My reflux got much better when eliminating nightshade foods (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant) a few years before figuring out that I am gluten intolerant.

It practically went away after removing gluten, eggs and rice from my diet as well (I've always known that dairy was a problem, and pretty much eliminated it nearly 30 years ago).

Two nights ago I made a gluten-free Black Forest cake. Since I used two round cakes, I cut the rounded top part off the bottom one and ate that with whipped cream while I assembled the cake.

That night I had the absolute worst acid reflux I've had in my life! I was unable to lie down to sleep until six in the morning. And even then I had to lie on several pillows so my upper body was elevated.

As I said, that was a gluten-free cake. So, just being gluten-free may not be enough for you, it certainly isn't for me.

Gez Rookie

Thanks! I started with reflux out of the blue 12 years ago and was diagnosed with a very small HH. I always felt there was more to it since I felt so awful and just couldn't eat bread because of the violent reflux.I'm waiting for my biopsy result but my Doc thinks as I had 3 negative blood tests it won't be coeliac disease but an intolerance to gluten.

I definitely feel reborn since cutting it out. I've also stopped eating dairy but I suppose my oeophagus and gut will be inflamed...I'm just wondering how much time it will take and if I should be looking at eating more simple food. :(:(

DeerGirl Apprentice

I too have reflux. I noticed improvement with my reflux within a few days. But your description sounds particularly bad.

Don't know if this helps...

1. I elevate the head of my bed 6-8" (using extra pillows under your head will make your reflux worse as it changes your alignment and puts pressure on your stomach).
  2. Have you tried sleeping on your left side (prevents stomach contents from getting in contact with the opening of your esophagus)?
  3. Try not to eat within a few hours of going to bed. Same with alcohol.
  4. You may find that certain foods or drinks will bother you regardless of your gluten status. (e.g., common offenders are: chocolate, orange juice, alcohol, acid foods, tomatoes, garlic, raw onions...)
  5. Trying a mild diet while your body gets adjusted may not be a bad idea.
  6. Don't forget to check your medications - over the counter and prescription that you might take for reflux too.
  7. Vitamin/mineral deficiencies can make healing happen slower so your esophagus and stomach might just take more time.
  8. The HH may or may not affect your reflux, since it is a physical (structural) issue.

itchygirl Newbie
Thanks! I started with reflux out of the blue 12 years ago and was diagnosed with a very small HH.

Has the doc done the proper testing to evaluate if this is acid reflux or bile reflux? I used to get awful bile reflux before I went gluten-free

my doc was pretty amazed that it cleared up....

Open Original Shared Link

Gez Rookie

Thanks everyone. I'll check on the bile thing. It's true ...just because it's glutren free doesn't mean it won't cause reflux , as I've found.

I'm in England and we don't get told much about the results of procedures. I got my letter to return to see the consultant today stating "there was nothing seriously wrong with me" which obviously means my villi were in tact! Meanwhile I'l take all your advice and eat more simply --meat veg and rice perhaps.

many thanks

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

babygirl1234 Rookie

i have gas reflex and it hasnt gone away i was DX with it when i was DX with celiac disease,

Archived