Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

newceliac

Just Need A Little Help And Tlc

I was diagnosed in Sept. 2007 with celiac disease and I have been gluten free for about 6 months. I feel a lot better although I still have some bad days. I am still periodically having trouble with chronic constipation, nausea & some joint pain. Other than a few episodes of possible cross contamination, I am on a strict gluten free diet. I have been dairy free off and on during the past 6 months because I thought I may be casein intolerant. But, I think I was in a state of denial because I love chocolate and ice cream, etc. It is so depressing to give up gluten foods and I was truly hoping that I was not casein intolerant too.

I finally sent off for the casein intolerance test with Enterolab. I got my results back today and it was definitely not what I was hoping for. This is my results:

Cow's Milk Protein Sensitivity Stool Test

Fecal anti-casein (cow's milk) IgA antibody 22 Units (Normal Range <10 Units)

It just doesn't seem fair to be dealt food intolerances. Here are a couple of questions that I am hoping someone can help me with.

1) Is casein intolerance permanent? After a few months of being CF, is it possible to reintroduce?

2) Are there any foods that I can still eat if I am CF.....such as cheese, yogurt? I am an extreme lover of chocolate and assume I will have to give it up because it has casein?

3) I know with celiac disease, you cannot ever eat gluten. But is it possible to eat dairy sometimes if you have a casein intolerance?

It just doesn't seem fair that a lot of people with people with celiac disease don't have to go CF. Just look at lot of the gluten free cookbooks.....most of them have many recipes with dairy products.

Oh well, enough of my pity party.......I just hope ya'll can shed some light on these questions....or give any advice that would make this easier.

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Im sorry about you needing to go CF too. From what I understand, layman here, casein intolerance doesnt go away like lactose intolerance can. There are casein free and soy free chocolates out there. Enjoy life chocolate chips are really good. Ricera yogurt is okay for you but it does have a different texture, more like jello but with a good amount of probiotics in it. There are some gluten free casein free cheeses out there but I havent found a substitute I like. I know some people do cashew cheese or soy cheeses.

Extra intolerances are hard to take especially in the beginning but it does get easier knowing how crappy you will feel and the damage you are doing to your body if you do cheat. I am soy, casein, gluten intolerant and I cannot tolerate nuts, seeds, oils or meats. Beans and rice make my arthritis flair up and give me headaches. Look around for gluten free vegetarian recipes for casein free meals and just add meat if you want too. Vegiac has loads of recipes and different product reviews. I have some too if you want I can pm you some :)

Join eNewsletter

I dropped all dairy at the same time I dropped wheat, and expanded to gluten a few weeks later. It hasnt been too bad ... soy sour cream is good enuf for tacos, I LOVE almond milk in my coffee, and my husband bought me some great vegan chocolates for xmas, I think it was from Chocolate Decandance. There is soy yoghurt, but some of them have dairy in them, and i hate the taste of soy milk, so I just avoid them. My standard breakfast had been grits with cheese and margerine, and occasionally some ham. I just changed it to more ham, and some dairy-free margerine, and it was totally yummy!

Of course, its hard at first - every time i realize i have to give something up, i dont start until my currently planned menus have been eaten . . . then i just plan my next several meals with my new restrictions in mind.

also, it helps to splurge on the foods you love that you CAN eat . .. buy better fruit or something else you really love.

Hang in there - feeling better will make it worth it.

Cara - 42, mom to dd 15, ds 12, ds 4

Off gluten and dairy (and tapioca ;-( ) since 11/07

A.L.C.A.T. test showed over 50 sensitive foods

Celiac panel came back negative.

Regular allergy testing reacted to every inhalant and all but 6 foods.

Slowly adding in foods, started w 19 and now have 25

Join eNewsletter

1) Is casein intolerance permanent? After a few months of being CF, is it possible to reintroduce?

2) Are there any foods that I can still eat if I am CF.....such as cheese, yogurt? I am an extreme lover of chocolate and assume I will have to give it up because it has casein?

3) I know with celiac disease, you cannot ever eat gluten. But is it possible to eat dairy sometimes if you have a casein intolerance?

1) Treat a casein intolerance like a gluten intolerance. These are the two you don't mess with.

2) No cheese. No yogurt. Not all chocolate has casein. Look for dark chocolates.

3) No cheating. Treat it with the same respect you treat celiac. You may not see symptoms within 2 minutes of ingesting something but it is still doing damage to your body.

Shellfish free since 1980

Milk free (all forms) since 1991

Feingold in 2003

First gluten-free round 2007

Now entering full time Gluten free, egg free, almond/peanut free

Join eNewsletter

I use Sunspire Chocolate Chips, I get them at Whole foods. I use coconut milk in place of milk for homemade fudge and baking. I can eat butter - use it in my fudge. Butter is low in casein. Some people can tolerate it, some cannot. But, I will say that I do not use it much, just for baking & I rarely bake...

I would avoid soy milk products, if you use them you could develop a sensitivity to soy. better to just go with almond or coconut milk.

I also use the coconut milk in my cornbread. Just take your regular cornbread recipe & use corn flour in place of wheat flour & use coconut milk in place of milk, you can drop an extra egg in the liquid measure if you want the cornbread "lighter" also in case you do not use corn flour & use all cornmeal. You do not need to use xanthan gum in cornbread. It is hard to ruin cornbread :D

I do eat the occasional See's chocolate - but not the candy bars, & do not have a problem with them. But I have been gluten-free for 4 years & wheat light for 10 years before that & I do not eat grains often. I think it also depends on how many other irritants you are eating... I drink only water, eat mostly whole foods, have no corn syrup in my diet (except the See's chocolates) do not eat soy, do not eat beef, unless it is the twice a year antibiotic/hormone free steak, eat no grains except for the occasional corn tortilla & a little rice when eating out at Pei Wei. I do not cook rice at home anymore. If I make a stirfry, I eat it without rice...

everyonce in awhile I cheat on dairy, but it is never worth it. I have mostly quit doing it. I was out of town recently & had a gluten-free pizza with cheese. I did not react to the cheese until about two days later... Next time I will just have something else...

dairy is more addictive than gluten & if you have it once you will crave it again. For ice cream I suggest you get an ice cream maker & make fruit sorbets. that is on my wish list for this year...

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter