This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Do Your Teeth And Hair Recover

TCollier

TCollier Newbie

I was diagnosed about 7 months ago, well more like mis diagnosed. However it occured, I have been Glutin free for that long. I am still learning and have noticed glutin in things I never imagined it being in.

My question is how long does it take for my hair to stop falling out, my teeth to regain enamle (if ever) and my energy level go up.

My stomach and insides feel MUCH better but the rest is still...well not there yet.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

itchygirl Newbie

My hair never grew back, but I have Alopecia areata-some lucky people have, however, had alopecia clear up on a gluten free diet.

I love this prescription stuff for remineralzing teeth. Most doctors have never heard of it

Open Original Shared Link

Caphosol supersaturated calcium phosphate solution. Its a really weird product, you mix up two vials and then swish it around and it actually remineralizes your teeth... :)

Edited to add-this stuff has no floride. Just minerals. :D

blueeyedmanda Community Regular

My hair grew back and since it is long and thick to begin with, only I knew it was falling out....

cruelshoes Enthusiast

After I was diagnosed, I started to lose lots of hair. I was really freaked out by it. I went to the doctor about it, and she said that any time you have a serious illness (I was literally near death when I was diagnosed), it disturbs the hair cycle. Hair lives a certain amount of time, and then it is programmed to fall out. The number of hairs growing and falling out is supposed to be balanced. But if your body goes through something major, the cycle gets out of whack. It can also happen from periods of stress, diet change, etc. It did stop after about 3 months. Continuing to lose hair after 7 months seems like a long time to me. Have you investicated other causes? Had your thyroid checked for example?

Jestgar Rising Star

hair grew back, is no longer grey, and teeth got whiter.

MELINE Enthusiast

could somebody translate the word "enamle " for me cause I can't understand it?? Is it the colour of our teeth?????(the white one...)

MELINE Enthusiast
could somebody translate the word "enamle " for me cause I can't understand it?? Is it the colour of our teeth?????(the white one...)

oops....wrong word....enamel is the right one, and now I know the meaning...

Excuse me.....the brown colour on my front teeth is because of gluten????????????????? I am really taking care of my teeth, brushing them 3 times a day, using a mouth wash and visiting my dentist twice a year. And about 2 monts ago I've noticed on my 2 front teeth a brown pattern (I don't know how else to describe it.....) but I never thought it was from gluten.....I thought it was from tea.....

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Jestgar Rising Star

enamel is the very hard covering on our teeth. It can be stained and look yellow, or weakened by malabsorption (allowing more cavities to form).

MELINE Enthusiast
enamel is the very hard covering on our teeth. It can be stained and look yellow, or weakened by malabsorption (allowing more cavities to form).

thank you for the translation..yellow or forming more cavities? no that is not my case.......mine are having a brown colour....I'll ask my doctor if it is from celiac.

Have a nice weekend.

TCollier Newbie
Had your thyroid checked for example?

That was one of the first things they checked. I started haved alot more symtoms after delivering my son so Thyroiditis (I think thats it) was one of the first things they checked.

I recently discovered my vitamins had glutin in them, so perhaps it is just a relaps.

Thanks all

Ursa Major Collaborator
That was one of the first things they checked. I started haved alot more symtoms after delivering my son so Thyroiditis (I think thats it) was one of the first things they checked.

I recently discovered my vitamins had glutin in them, so perhaps it is just a relaps.

Thanks all

Having taken vitamins with gluten means, that until you discovered that, you never were really gluten-free at all! No wonder that it is taking so long for your hair to grow back. Hopefully it will happen soon.

Meline, yes, your front teeth turning brown could be caused by gluten. But I am not sure if it goes away by itself on a gluten-free diet. Your dentist could cover it up, or you could try that solution for re-mineralizing mentioned above.

HouseKat Apprentice
I was diagnosed about 7 months ago, well more like mis diagnosed. However it occured, I have been Glutin free for that long. I am still learning and have noticed glutin in things I never imagined it being in.

My question is how long does it take for my hair to stop falling out, my teeth to regain enamle (if ever) and my energy level go up.

My stomach and insides feel MUCH better but the rest is still...well not there yet.

A few years ago, I suddenly had an epidemic of cavities after never having a single one in my life. Since going gluten-free six months ago, I have not had a single new cavity and my dentist commented that weak spots he had been watching have now gone back to normal.

Also since going gluten-free, my hair is growing at least 50% faster and my nails are growing at about 3x their previous rate.

Kate

bakingbarb Enthusiast
My hair never grew back, but I have Alopecia areata-some lucky people have, however, had alopecia clear up on a gluten free diet.

I love this prescription stuff for remineralzing teeth. Most doctors have never heard of it

Caphosol supersaturated calcium phosphate solution. Its a really weird product, you mix up two vials and then swish it around and it actually remineralizes your teeth... :)

Edited to add-this stuff has no floride. Just minerals. :D

I am going to have to ask my Dr for this.

My teeth are bad and only getting worse. I don't see that changing for awhile.

cyberprof Enthusiast

Meline and others:

I searched for a long time to find a picture of discoloration. My dentist - though knowledgeable about celiac after I asked her to research it - didn't know what caused my 14 yo son's teeth discoloration. Here are the pictures I found: Open Original Shared Link My son's teeth look like the middle/moderate picture.

Here's a quote from the author: "True hypoplasia is a developmental phenomenon whose cause is a little hard to pinpoint. Any systemic distrubance over a long period of time can effect developing tooth enamel. So, if the enamel is forming now (permanent teeth), then a healthy child with no prolonged illnesses or fevers will be more likely to avoid developmental disturbances." Sounds like celiac to me.

So many of the parents' comments make me want to say "Test your kid for celiac!" But what do I know.

Here's another relevant article: Open Original Shared Link

This article and the pictures were what convinced my 14yo to want to get tested. My son had (and I had prediagnosis) frequent mouth ulcers (recurrent apthous stomatitis) - like monthly! I've had recurrent mouth ulcers since I was 16 and no dentist ever made a connection.

Another article:

My son has had discolored teeth, and has for the past 3 years needed sealant on his molars due to "pits", as the dentist says. His sister doesn't. Now, he has braces on and my hope is that the teeth don't totally disintegrate while the braces are on them. I am a worrier, but since no dentist ever researched his defects and I had to discover the (purported) cause myself, I'm not sure I believe the ortho when he says "Oh, there won't be a problem!" I'll just have to find money to fix his teeth with veneers or porcelains. Anyway, the good thing is that now he is gluten free!

~Laura

MELINE Enthusiast

Hi laura

Lucky children they have a caring mother. Hope they will only get better in their health.

Yes the picture in the middle is descriing my teeth. Your articles are very helpful, I 'll print them and discuss it with my dentist. Thank you so much

cyberprof Enthusiast
Hi laura

Lucky children they have a caring mother. Hope they will only get better in their health.

Yes the picture in the middle is descriing my teeth. Your articles are very helpful, I 'll print them and discuss it with my dentist. Thank you so much

Thank you Meline! I hope your dentist can help. And a picture is worth a thousand words, right?

Anyone else have this type of discoloration and have it get better? Jestgar, is this what you had? (Waving "HI" to Jestgar, fellow Puget Sound resident.)

~Laura

Archived