This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Eating Gluten-free On-the-go With Kids?

dandelionmom

dandelionmom Enthusiast

My car is getting pretty gross from messy kids snacking in it. We're on the go so often with 3 little ones and I'm never comfortable running into a restaurant because of gluten and cc concerns. So we end up snacking in the car. We need to find a way to either keep it neater in there or a way to snack on-the-go but not in the car. Any thoughts?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

celiac-mommy Collaborator

I have the same issue! I try to give a snack right before we need to leave and then I stash stuff in the car for emergencies. LARA bars, Envirokids bars--stuff that doesn't crumble or super sticky. If I'm going to the grocery store, I'll bring little bags of something--trail mix, cereal, dried fruit etc... for them to eat in the cart. Drinks are in closed sippy containers with the valves inside so there's no spilling when the cup ends up flying across the car. My 2 year old thinks it's a game when I give him the Kone (dirt devil) to vacuum up the crumbs in his car seat. He actually does it on his own after dinner because his high chair is such a mess :D

kbtoyssni Contributor

When I was a kid we used to stop at waysides or even gas stations that had some grass next to the parking lot. We'd pull out our picnic blankets and coolers and tea (we're english so we always had tea!). So if the weather is good, this is an option. It's great for longer trips when you want to stop to stretch the legs.

Cheri A Contributor

Do you mean the everyday, running around town? I had that problem when my kids were younger. But when I got a new car, I didn't want the mess and stuff so I decided that they didn't need to eat in my car unless we were on a trip. I would always have water, but the food wasn't eaten in my car unless we were on a trip. Maybe I wasn't as busy as you are, though.

ShayBraMom Apprentice

Well, we do go to reastuarant BUT, I bring my own food for her! My daughter is a Celiac, has also a bracelett on her arm as well (in case somebdy just thinks I'm trying to skip out for paying for ameal for my kid) I have my own little plate for her and bring my own food for her. I wipe down the table in front of her with a wipe and the handles of the highchair. so far, we had noty a single restaurant deny us this! You should have a Not from the doc maybe that all the kids HAVE to be glutenfree! since it is or counts as a dissability in this situation the restaurant if they get iffy with you because you bring three kids that won't be eating their food they cannot send you away. No restaurant likes it when you bring your own food, but if it's only for the kids and it's because it's medical, they are by law NOT allowed to send you guys away.

My car is getting pretty gross from messy kids snacking in it. We're on the go so often with 3 little ones and I'm never comfortable running into a restaurant because of gluten and cc concerns. So we end up snacking in the car. We need to find a way to either keep it neater in there or a way to snack on-the-go but not in the car. Any thoughts?
gfpaperdoll Rookie

what are the ages of your little ones? Are they old enough to open a lunch box - those flat type ones & eat over their lunch box - & you could pass out the treats & a napkin - I also like those wet wipes in little packages. Another option would be a paper lunch bag with the top half cut off - then they can put the treat in the bag & eat from there & wad up the leftovers & put in the trash container. You could just keep a supply of those bags in the car.

Actually I would keep a small cooler in the car stocked with paper goods, paring knife etc...

ah, :) come on not letting kids eat in the car :lol: That is just part of the little kid scene, they will be all grown up & out of that stage before you can blink your eye... & you will wish you had a little one to drop crumbs in your new car...

dandelionmom Enthusiast

Thanks for the great tips! I think a lot of those ideas will work better when they're a little bigger (they're 18 months, 4, and 7 now). I wish we didn't have to eat on-the-go so much but it seems like a necessity right now. I picked up some boxes of the envirokids bars just for the car and so far so good. The kids like them and they aren't as spill-able/crumbly as other snacks. :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

pixiegirl Enthusiast

Hello? Kids eating in car = mess (I don't care if they are gluten-free or not!)

Really we only live once and its just a big pile of steel and tin. I guess you need to ask yourself what is more important, kids or car. No contest for me.

Susan

(put the top down like I did in my pix and let the food blow out - OK I'M TEASING!)

:lol:

Cheri A Contributor
ah, :) come on not letting kids eat in the car :lol: That is just part of the little kid scene, they will be all grown up & out of that stage before you can blink your eye... & you will wish you had a little one to drop crumbs in your new car...

Hello? Kids eating in car = mess (I don't care if they are gluten-free or not!)

Really we only live once and its just a big pile of steel and tin. I guess you need to ask yourself what is more important, kids or car. No contest for me.

Susan

(put the top down like I did in my pix and let the food blow out - OK I'M TEASING!)

:lol:

Are these comments directed to me not having my kids eat in the car around town? I fed my kids meals at home. They simply don't need to have food constantly. When on trips, we DO eat in the car.

I'm very offended by the comment, "I guess you need to ask yourself what is more important, kids or car. No contest for me." I spend HOURS in the kitchen making food, taking food places for my daughter's extensive allergy list. No contest for me either, I simply chose for them not to eat constantly in my car. I don't think its needed.

dandelionmom Enthusiast

Cheri A don't be offended! It is so hard to read tone on a message board, I'm sure they were just being silly. :)

Some families have a lifestyle where if they don't eat in the car, their baby won't get lunch. That's our situation on Wednesdays (we leave right when she wakes up from her nap at 11:30 and we have a variety of drop off and pick ups until 2). I think it is best to do what you do but that just isn't always an option.

Juliebove Rising Star

I try to avoid eating in the car if at all possible. If not, I try to limit what can be eaten to stuff like Fruit Rollups or other fruit snacks, some mini marshmallows, baby carrots, celery or maybe a slice of rice cheese. I do not allow anything that would make crumbs. Yes, these things can be messy, but it is easier to pick up a carrot than a bunch of crumbs.

gfpaperdoll Rookie

Geez, most of us are Irish - we kid a lot, can't anybody take a poke in the fun comment!! Did ya see the little smiley faces?

believe me I could have thought of a million words to say if I really had an opinion on the matter.

But you know what it does not matter one whit whether kids eat in the car or not. Not a life shaking matter, don't sweat the small stuff & it is all small stuff - especially when it comes to crumbs. :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: okay could not resist that comment.

take some B12 & get a massage - let go of all the tension... breathe...

& when you get to be 61 like me - nothing much matters anymore!!!!!!

My grown son drives a BMW & the kids 12, 10, & 8 & their grandmother (me) do not eat in his car. But he lets me bring my water bottle!!!! If we go in the SUV, it is covered in crumbs & cup holders everywhere - any food is allowed!!!

pixiegirl Enthusiast

Yikes! I was just kidding and I thought the comment about me putting the top down and letting the excess food blow out made that perfectly clear. They were not comments "directed" at anyone. And I can't imagine why you thought they were directed at you.... you didn't start the post (at least i don't think you did).

But this one is directed to people who find offense at others posts: I think we all need to count to 10 before we answer and then ask ourselves.. without being able to hear their voice or see their face, could they possibly have meant their post in a different way then how I'm taking it? If we all start to assume the comments people make are nasty jabs at us, in no time at all, every forum on the internet will turn into a war zone. I've been here a long time and this group is a fun group with a great sense of humor.

Secondly... and maybe this is just me.... but I'd personally never be offended by a remark made that was made to me on an internet forum, from a complete stranger, that does not know me or my family. And I'm sorry if you were, but again the remark was not made at you at all.

I'm sorry if anyone was offended however, I would never seriously "diss" someone for feeding their kid in the car or not. Its your family, your car, your choice. My remarks were how I feel about my kid and food in the car.

Good Luck,

Susan

2kids4me Contributor

I always have snacks in the car - mainly cause the city is an hour drive away, my son and I are both diabetic and both kids are celiac...we can get delayed at any point and we need to eat at certain times.

To go anywhere - I keep wet wipes, a large lunch bag to hold the insulin meters and snacks...often a second one is needed :D

The only things I "banned" from the car - slurpees, purple drinks (koolaid) and sticky food :o:rolleyes:

Easy snacks for the car: glutino breakfast bars, envirokids, dried fruit and nuts, juicebpxes, fruit bars, muffins, fresh fruit (but need a garbage bag for the peels or core)... stuff like that.

Worst words you can hear from the back seat while drivng and kids are snacking:

1) Uh oh

2) Just put the towel over it and dont tell mom,

:D:lol::lol:

Another thing I learned the hard way - umm, NEVER forget that the kids had a banana and the peel is in the back seat in a garbage bag........

One peel + a warm day + forgot to take out garbage from car+ dont use car for 2 days = a really nasty smell. :o:o:blink:

Sandy

Archived