Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jmcbride4291

Confused About Label Laws And Soy

I know that there was gluten in Soy. Is that still true in 2008. With the new law, does it mean the wheat or gluten must be on label or are there loop wholes like if malt stated, are we required to know that it contains gluten and does it still or are they now making from corn? I am going shopping tomorrow and want to be sure. I do not want to make any mistakes as you know very well, it is down right awful. What to I need to know?

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Soy does not contain gluten, although many of us are also intolerant to soy (I don't have a problem myself).

Gluten is found in wheat, rye, barley and oats. "Corn gluten" refers to the protein in corn, and is not gluten in the sense that we use the word, but is scientifically correct. We use the word to refer collectively, to the plant proteins that provoke the celiac autoimmune response, but the word can mean any grain protein.

The "Top Eight" allergens that must, by law, be clearly disclosed include wheat and soy, but the other gluten sources are NOT covered by FALCPA--they can still be hidden under other names.

There are a number of brands/companies that have a policy that they will clearly disclose gluten grains by their common name in the ingredient list. If you don't see one of them named (wheat, rye, barley or oats), then you can be assured that they are not hiding under another name.

My current list is:

Arrowhead Mills, Aunt Nelly's, Balance, Baskin Robbins, Ben & Jerry, Bertoli, Betty Crocker, Blue Bunny, Breyers, Campbells, Cascadian Farms, Celestial Seasonings, ConAgra, Country Crock, Edy's, General Mills, Good Humor, Green Giant, Haagen Daz, Hellman's, Hormel, Hungry Jack, Jiffy, Knorr, Kozy Shack, Kraft, Lawry's, Libby's, Lipton, Martha White, Maxwell House, McCormick, Nabisco, Nestle, Old El Paso, Ortega, Pillsbury, Popsicle, Post, Progresso, Ragu, Russell Stover, Seneca Foods, Skippy, Smucker, Stokely's, Sunny Delight, T Marzetti, Tyson, Unilever, Wishbone, Yoplait, Zatarain's.

Hershey was on this list until recently; they may or may not still disclose gluten, but their call center has been dodging gluten-related questions lately, so I have removed them from the list.

Not every brand owned by these companies is included. Look on the label to see who makes it. You may see Unilever in small print on the back with another brand name in large type on the front.

Peter

Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000. I was retested five years later and the biopsy was normal. You can beat this disease!

Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986

Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator since 2007

Join eNewsletter

. ... are there loopholes like if malt stated, are we required to know that it contains gluten and does it still or are they now making from corn?

Malt or malt flavoring etc still mean barley as far as I know, and the Top 8 allergen law doesn't require anyone to call attn to the fact that it's gluten.

It's nice to know that some companies DO call attn to gluten in all its forms, tho. :)

>>>>>>> tom <<<<<<<

Celiac 1st diagnosed as a toddler, in the 60s. Docs then, between bloodletting & leech-tending, said "he'll grow out of it" & I was back on gluten & mostly fine for 30yrs.

Gluten-free since 12-03

Dairy-free since 10-04

Soy-free since 5-07

Join eNewsletter

Malt or malt flavoring etc still mean barley as far as I know, and the Top 8 allergen law doesn't require anyone to call attn to the fact that it's gluten.

It's nice to know that some companies DO call attn to gluten in all its forms, tho. :)

Yeah, it sucks. Barley is not covered by the law, so it can still be hidden as "malt flavor" among other things. :(

Peter

Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000. I was retested five years later and the biopsy was normal. You can beat this disease!

Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986

Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator since 2007

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter