Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lisa16

Questions About Intrepreting Weleda Statement

Here is what Weleda says:

Weleda's personal care products, including all oral care products, are free of gluten. Some products are made with Wheat Germ Oil, which does not pose as an allergy concern, as the wheat protein, known as gluten, has been removed. Weleda does use Wheat Starch/Gluten in the production of many medicine tablets. Many Weleda tablets contain Wheat Starch in a presence of up to 25 mg per tablet. In regards to associated allergy-concerns for those suffering from Celiac Disease, according to the German Celiac Disease Society, after washing out the albumen fraction from the wheat flour, the resulting pure wheat starch

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Just an update on Weleda.

Yesterday I used their "almond moisturizing cream" (the kind in a pink tube) and I broke out in a hot, raised red rash all over my face (where ever I had applied it.) It was NOT dh, but it was almost like the allergic reaction I get to taking a sulpha med or ingesting MSG. The rash lasted about four hours and then dissipated.

Anybody have any ideas of what went wrong?

Thanks!

Lisa

Sorry-- I forgot to put the list of ingredients:

Ingredients (INCI): Water (Aqua), Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis (Sweet Almond), Glyceryl Stearate SE, Alcohol, Hydrolyzed Beeswax, Prunus Domestica (Plum), Glycerin, Xanthan Gum, Lactic Acid.

Here is what Weleda says:

Weleda's personal care products, including all oral care products, are free of gluten. Some products are made with Wheat Germ Oil, which does not pose as an allergy concern, as the wheat protein, known as gluten, has been removed. Weleda does use Wheat Starch/Gluten in the production of many medicine tablets. Many Weleda tablets contain Wheat Starch in a presence of up to 25 mg per tablet. In regards to associated allergy-concerns for those suffering from Celiac Disease, according to the German Celiac Disease Society, after washing out the albumen fraction from the wheat flour, the resulting pure wheat starch

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

Thanks Ravenwoodglass-- I do appreciate the info. I was a little surprised by their statement. Do you have any insight into which ingredient(s) may have caused that reaction? I also got the same reaction from the dessert essence pistachio foot cream. Do you think it is tree nuts?

Lisa

I have a skin condition called Rosacea. In truth, Weleda's Almond Moisturizing Cream is the ONLY moisturizing product I can use that *doesn't* cause reactions with me. In fact, it totally keeps the redness and flushing at bay, and keeps my skin incredibly soft and supple.

I'd have to say it's the tree nuts!!!

Jayhawkmom -

Mom of three....

Jay - 11

Bean - 8

Ian - 3

Thanks... I am starting to think almonds and pistachios are out for me. Taybe there is something about the oil extract....

The ingredient list was so simple and I couldn't see anything that looked even remotely gluteny so I thought it would be safe. It has a nice texture. It has a nice smell. Bummer.

I am finding it really frustrating to find a nice safe cream that doesn't cost the earth and that I can use without looking like a tomato. :(

Any thoughts?

Thanks Ravenwoodglass-- I do appreciate the info. I was a little surprised by their statement. Do you have any insight into which ingredient(s) may have caused that reaction? I also got the same reaction from the dessert essence pistachio foot cream. Do you think it is tree nuts?

Lisa

My best guess would be that it is the alcohol that is being used in the creams. Many consider distilled alcohols gluten free regardless of the source but many of us will react to them. This may sound silly but if you think it may be the nuts I would take some grind them up in a blender and mix them with a bit of a good olive oil and then apply to the inside of the forearm. Leave it there for a bit then rinse it off after circling the spot with a pen. Then watch that spot and see if the same effect happened as happened with the cream. That should tell you whether it was the topical application of the nuts that you are reacting to.

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

Excellent suggestion-- genius. I will do this nutty test today :D

I have also had this type of a reaction to a Kneipp bath product, but I no longer remember which one it as (I just avoid them all now).

Once again you have helped me! You should get a medal.

Lisa

Excellent suggestion-- genius. I will do this nutty test today :D

I have also had this type of a reaction to a Kneipp bath product, but I no longer remember which one it as (I just avoid them all now).

Once again you have helped me! You should get a medal.

Lisa

Glad I could be helpful.

If your skin likes it and is a bit dry and sensitive the mix of olive oil and ground almonds would make a nice gentle exfolient for the face also. Coconut oil might be nice too for this if your skin tolerates it, and most do. If your skin is dry

Gene Test Aug 2007

Oh dang! Dang dang.

Okay-- I tried the ground up almonds and for good measure I put it in macademia nut oil (just happened to have some). No reaction. So I went and put the cream on again-- plus four reaction city! Red, raised, itchy blotches-- and now featuring tiny raised bumps. Dang!

It is not the nuts.

That means the alcohol? Dang! Because that is going to make life really tough. How on earth can you know if it will get you without trying it first? And trying it means risking a reaction. Double dang. It is a catch 22.

Here is the reply I got from the company yesterday:

Subject: re: allergic reation

Size: 4 KB

Thank you for your inquiry. The Weleda Almond Line is hypo-allergenic, free of essential oils and made for the most sensitive skin types. It is unusual to hear of your reaction.

Only an allergy testing would confirm which ingredient is not right for you. If you find that Almond is not an allergen for you, you might want to patch test the Almond Facial Oil which has only 3 ingredients. Please click link for more information: http://shop.weleda.com/item_detail.aspx?ItemCode=9610

All Best,

Dena M. Moskowitz

Customer Service Manager

Weleda North America

1 Closter Rd

Palisades, NY 10964

Direct: 1.800.241.1030, ext.5568

Fax: 1.800.280.4899 / rx@weleda.com

Okay-- I am getting paranoid here. How can we even know if something like coconut oil is going to get us? This is too much! Argh! I feel like it is on all sides and closing in!

Maybe I should save the bottle of macademia nut oil to use as a moisturizer.

Oh help!

Lisa