Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I am VERY new to this whole gluten-free thing and I have found that buying safe foods has been hard. Most of the foods I have bought so far have been really gross! My husband and I have always bought wine at Trader Joe's (Go 2 Buck Chuck!) and I remembered that they always carried a lot of natural and organic products. So, the next time I was in shopping I thought I would ask-you know, just for the heck of it-if they had a gluten-free section. The little guy working said they didn't but he was able to go and get a 10 page printout of all the gluten free items the store carries! It was listed by grocery section and very easy to shop with! I was able to find some very yummy foods. It was a great experience and I highly reccommend you asking for a list if you have a Trader Joe's in your area. I even had a question about gluten-free soy sauce and the clerk wasn't sure so he called the company's nutritionist right then and there to check on the answer for me. Now, THAT'S customer service!

Go Trader Joe's!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Trader Joes is great! And they aren't nearly as expensive as Whole Foods. They have been adding some new gluten-free products too- recently a brownie mix and PB cookies. When i first started their list really helped me narrow things down. It definitely sped up the process. I only looked at products on the list...and then only had to read those ingredients. Glad you found a good option.

Yes! They have some great gluten free items. I love their gluten free granola and their gluten-free banana waffles (and they are cheaper than Van's waffles and you get 8 per box, not 6).

Also, I found that their frozen cheese tamales are gluten free (not sure if they are on their printout) but they are great- the best frozen tamales I've ever had!

Marcia-

Diagnosed Celiac based on equivocal results on blood seriology tests, did not have a biopsy due to already eating gluten free (I didn't know any better at the time to keep eating gluten until all tests could be done).

Diagnosis came 3 months after the birth of my first child at age 31 (I believe childbirth was my trigger).

Gluten Free since 8/06

Genetic testing revealed:

I have one copy of DQ2 (DQA1 05/DQB1 02)

Son- 3 years old, so far not showing any signs of digestive issues and does eat gluten- fingers crossed!

Second baby born after I have been gluten free for 2 1/2 years- a healthy boy weighing in at 9 pounds at birth!

I just recently discovered their online gluten-free list!

Of course, we ran to Trader Joe's immediately and I stuffed the freezer with frozen meals... not that I was ever a big eater of frozen dinners and entrees, but, wow, it's so great to KNOW I have that convenience when I don't have it together to pack much of a lunch to take to work.

I LOVE the wasabi mayo... some other stuff like that on the list... dark chocolate cherries are really good too! Much cheaper than even the gluten-free items in our regular grocery store.