Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest sru_gal_8504

Concert Going Advice

Guest sru_gal_8504

i am going to see american idols live july 29th. last year i saw it, i spent half the time in the restroom. what can i do beore i go this year? i really dont want to get sick. i have front floor tickets this year. i saw the steelers camp last year and got sick that day to. this was before my diet. should i eat or just skip that day? i am going to the meet and greet this year for the idols as well. i had the chance last year, but got sick.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I am not sure I understand your concern... I am sure some of the singing won't be great, but hopefully it won't make you ill.

If you know where the venue is, you can contact the facility ahead of time and ask about their outside food policy. (Obviously explain your situation and why you cannot eat their food.)

If they are agreeable, I would eat before hand and pack snacks.

If this is in a city you aren't familiar with, check the TRAVEL forum and search around for restaurant suggestions in the area and call ahead to make sure that the restaurant still exists and can accommodate you.

Most of all, HAVE FUN!

Guest sru_gal_8504

what i should rephrase myself lol. should i just skip eating that day or just eat? i was just diagnosed with this. so i am getting used to it. the concert is in pittsburgh and the mellon arena has crappy food. i may just stop at eat n park after. i agree some the singing will stink.

Well first and foremost, welcome! And yay to finally know what is going on with your body!

How many days have you been on the gluten free diet?

I would say while you are still getting your gluten-free bearings, its not a bad idea to eat some simple foods that you know your body can tolerate.

If you are worried about needing frequent restroom breaks, plan some extra time into your trip... you can also look up rest stops along the way.

If you have a lot of D, you might also want to avoid drinking too much caffeine (which is a diuretic), but do stay hydrated.

(and I was only joking about the music making you ill... it sounds like a fun time!)

Guest sru_gal_8504
Well first and foremost, welcome! And yay to finally know what is going on with your body!

How many days have you been on the gluten free diet?

I would say while you are still getting your gluten-free bearings, its not a bad idea to eat some simple foods that you know your body can tolerate.

If you are worried about needing frequent restroom breaks, plan some extra time into your trip... you can also look up rest stops along the way.

If you have a lot of D, you might also want to avoid drinking too much caffeine (which is a diuretic), but do stay hydrated.

(and I was only joking about the music making you ill... it sounds like a fun time!)

about 3 weeks now. so i am seeing what works. alot of rice. i love the rice noodles and veggies. thanks for the welcome. i like gluten-free cookies as well. i was so psycho when i say gluten free noodles at walmart. the stock lady looked at me as if i was a weirdo. this concert should be better than last year.

Every one is a little different. I am about to celebrate one year gluten free TOMORROW, and there are still things that I should be able to eat, but that my body doesn't really like: dairy, and some gluten-free whole grains, and certain raw veggies.

Experiments with food at home is cool, but yeah, not on a road trip.

"rice noodles" is sometimes easier... and then you still have to read the packages really carefully. There is more awareness, but "gluten" is still a foreign word for a lot of people.

what i should rephrase myself lol. should i just skip eating that day or just eat? i was just diagnosed with this. so i am getting used to it. the concert is in pittsburgh and the mellon arena has crappy food. i may just stop at eat n park after. i agree some the singing will stink.

Personally, I don't eat if I want to count on my gut behaving. Good luck!

neesee

Guest sru_gal_8504
Every one is a little different. I am about to celebrate one year gluten free TOMORROW, and there are still things that I should be able to eat, but that my body doesn't really like: dairy, and some gluten-free whole grains, and certain raw veggies.

Experiments with food at home is cool, but yeah, not on a road trip.

"rice noodles" is sometimes easier... and then you still have to read the packages really carefully. There is more awareness, but "gluten" is still a foreign word for a lot of people.

yes it is. when i go out to eat people are like what is that?

Guest sru_gal_8504
Personally, I don't eat if I want to count on my gut behaving. Good luck!

neesee

those nutritional drinks help.

Hello & welcome

You can eat before hand or take a doogy bag with you of things you know will not upset ypur system... We always take a bag of goodies to the civic arena...

I do want to invite you to the gluten free cravings group in Butler Pa. We have been gluten-free for over five years now & I've mentored for about four plus years now. I have great resourses & I charge nothing to help newbies. Watch out for the ones that will help you but they want $50.00 to do it!I can tell you that you can use some mainstream products & I know all the cream of the crop in gluten-free. We also do group ordering so shipping cost is cut way down.

We have over one hundred members & many are from Pgh, We even have some coming over 2 hours to the meetings.I'll be more than glad to help you get started....

May I ask what practice dx'd you?

Feel free to contact me... info@glutenfreecravings.com

blessings

mamaw

Daughter and I went a few years ago. We just brought some food, got there early and ate it outside. We were street teaming for one of the bands so we had to be out there anyway. We did have some popcorn that we bought at Intermission.

I can understand your anxiety about the trip. One thing that you might want to consider in addition to the great advice you have already gotten is taking some Immodium right before the concert. IF you don't have problems with C. The gluten reaction is often delayed so it isn't just what you ate that day but what you have eaten for a couple of days before that that might get you. Since you are early in the diet it is soooo easy to make a mistake and then suffer for it that I would consider using the immodium as a prophilactic to prevent any problems during the event.

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

Guest sru_gal_8504
I can understand your anxiety about the trip. One thing that you might want to consider in addition to the great advice you have already gotten is taking some Immodium right before the concert. IF you don't have problems with C. The gluten reaction is often delayed so it isn't just what you ate that day but what you have eaten for a couple of days before that that might get you. Since you are early in the diet it is soooo easy to make a mistake and then suffer for it that I would consider using the immodium as a prophilactic to prevent any problems during the event.

thanks immodium seems to week

thanks immodium seems to week

I may be a little late in responding but I totally understand how you feel. I had just been diagnosed when we had tickets to the NCAA Tournament (Basketball) in Detroit and I was very concerned that I would not have anything to eat and everyone I was with would be pigging out on hot dogs, carmel corn, etc..

I actually got online and emailed Ford Field and told them my circumstance. I didn't expect a response but I got one - two weeks later but it still made me very happy. The executive chef emailed me back and forth, asked allot of questions, but also did his own research. I met him at a certain predetermined gate and he got the BEST vegan/gluten free meals for me (he gave me two). He was so wonderful and warm and he said that he is more than happy to accomodate people with special diets, it's just that most people don't tell him about their dietary needs.

I think it's worth it checking into whether or not there is someone at the venue that can help you. I was very appreciative and very gracious and maybe they will be as great as Ford Field, in Detroit, was for me. Good luck!!

Guest sru_gal_8504
I may be a little late in responding but I totally understand how you feel. I had just been diagnosed when we had tickets to the NCAA Tournament (Basketball) in Detroit and I was very concerned that I would not have anything to eat and everyone I was with would be pigging out on hot dogs, carmel corn, etc..

I actually got online and emailed Ford Field and told them my circumstance. I didn't expect a response but I got one - two weeks later but it still made me very happy. The executive chef emailed me back and forth, asked allot of questions, but also did his own research. I met him at a certain predetermined gate and he got the BEST vegan/gluten free meals for me (he gave me two). He was so wonderful and warm and he said that he is more than happy to accomodate people with special diets, it's just that most people don't tell him about their dietary needs.

I think it's worth it checking into whether or not there is someone at the venue that can help you. I was very appreciative and very gracious and maybe they will be as great as Ford Field, in Detroit, was for me. Good luck!!

thanks i will call the arena this week