This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Is This A Little Unusual?

Bravie

Bravie Apprentice

hi. I just want to say thanks to everyone who helped me in the past. I need your help once more! :blink:

Okay, so when I was first diagnosed, I was instructed to avoid gluten. At first, I felt fine off of gluten, then I slowly began to develop even more intolerances as the months passed. Since my diagnosis a year ago, I have been found to be intolerant to almost EVERYTHING. I can no longer eat dairy, soy, corn chips, pinto beans, raisins, apricots, prunes, potatoes and tomatoes (still debating on whether or not nuts and bananas bother me too). It's like, every time I eat dairy, soy, pintos and apricots, a I get almost the same exact symptoms as if I ate some gluten, minus the joint pain and diarrhea. I get a horrible rash that lasts for days at a time every time I eat these foods...

Now here's what I CAN eat: Eggs, some corn, kidney beans and lentils, all meats, rice, some peppers, fish, most fruits, most veggies, (nuts?) and candy...Is it normal to have this many intolerances to food when you have Celiac disease? I'm 21 years old and im about to lose my head because I don't know what to eat anymore. :blink:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Rachel--24 Collaborator

Have your gut tested for dysbiosis. Overgrowths of yeast and bacteria (also parasites) can cause these ongoing problems. There are some good tests available....however, mainstream Dr.'s dont usually do this type of testing.

A couple good labs are Genova Diagnostics (Comprehensive Digestive Stool Analysis) and Great Plains (Organic Acid Test).

Genova as well as other labs offer parasite testing....however, parasites are difficult to detect.

These infections are some of the more common culprits as far as ongoing problems with food intolerances and digestive symptoms.

Sweetfudge Community Regular

i started having problems with legumes and dairy once i got comfortable with gluten-free diet. i think once your body heals up, it becomes more sensitive to the things that bother it, and reacts more strongly...just my thought though :)

purple Community Regular

Given your list of edibles, make a layered bean dip. Mashed beans or refried beans and mix in some leftover rice, layer on some peppers, veggies, and whatever else you can have. Serve with corn tortilla chips if you can have them or Riceworks chips or scoop it up with celery stix. Best part- no cooking :) I feel bad for you, my daughter is almost 20 and its hard at that age same as for school kids. My other daughter put fresh pineapple on her bean taco...hm :blink:

• 3 weeks later...
darlindeb25 Collaborator

Do you know which genes you have? I have been reading a lot about genes since I found out I have double DQ1 genes. It seems that DQ1 people have many other intolerance's, not just gluten. You have to understand, sometimes the damage to the small intestine is so severe, it allows other foods to leak into the gut, and this is how we develop intolerance's. Sometimes though, the other intolerance's were already there, and until we are gluten free, we just didn't know about them.

I am intolerant of all grains (gluten, soy, corn, rice, oats), nightshades, cruciferous veggies, red meat, shellfish, and I gave up anything with high fructose corn syrup, and caffeine. The only processed food I use now is peanut butter and butter, if you can call them processed. I never had to give up dairy, thankfully.

DQ1 genes also are the neurological problem genes. Having double DQ1 genes is just double trouble. Your list of foods is much larger than mine. I can't eat bananasanymore, and I love them. I get a rash from many foods too, diarrhea from nightshades, constipation from the others.

Just know, there are many of us out here like you--we are all in this together!!! ;)

• 1 month later...
mftnchn Explorer

I found I also became more noticeably sensitive after going gluten-free. My own thought about it is that my immune system was very suppressed. After going gluten-free it started waking up..and showing more sensitivity.

I have other things going on though...lyme disease, metal toxicity, parasites, etc. Now I know that I haven't healed well enough on gluten-free and still cannot break down carbs. All this makes leaky gut worse and sensitivies worse.

So the answer might be pretty complex, but it is worth seeking out the reasons.

debmidge Rising Star

Not unusual to have other sensitivities either pre-diagnosis or post-diagnosis.

So far for my husband the other sensitivities aren't going away and it's been almost

5 years now.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived