Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bravie

Is This A Little Unusual?

hi. I just want to say thanks to everyone who helped me in the past. I need your help once more! :blink:

Okay, so when I was first diagnosed, I was instructed to avoid gluten. At first, I felt fine off of gluten, then I slowly began to develop even more intolerances as the months passed. Since my diagnosis a year ago, I have been found to be intolerant to almost EVERYTHING. I can no longer eat dairy, soy, corn chips, pinto beans, raisins, apricots, prunes, potatoes and tomatoes (still debating on whether or not nuts and bananas bother me too). It's like, every time I eat dairy, soy, pintos and apricots, a I get almost the same exact symptoms as if I ate some gluten, minus the joint pain and diarrhea. I get a horrible rash that lasts for days at a time every time I eat these foods...

Now here's what I CAN eat: Eggs, some corn, kidney beans and lentils, all meats, rice, some peppers, fish, most fruits, most veggies, (nuts?) and candy...Is it normal to have this many intolerances to food when you have Celiac disease? I'm 21 years old and im about to lose my head because I don't know what to eat anymore. :blink:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Have your gut tested for dysbiosis. Overgrowths of yeast and bacteria (also parasites) can cause these ongoing problems. There are some good tests available....however, mainstream Dr.'s dont usually do this type of testing.

A couple good labs are Genova Diagnostics (Comprehensive Digestive Stool Analysis) and Great Plains (Organic Acid Test).

Genova as well as other labs offer parasite testing....however, parasites are difficult to detect.

These infections are some of the more common culprits as far as ongoing problems with food intolerances and digestive symptoms.

Rachel

i started having problems with legumes and dairy once i got comfortable with gluten-free diet. i think once your body heals up, it becomes more sensitive to the things that bother it, and reacts more strongly...just my thought though :)

Sweetfudge

Born and raised in Portland, OR; Currently living in Provo, UT

Gluten-free since June 2006

Also living with Hypoglycemia since 1991

Dairy-free for good since summer 2008

Started IBS diet and probiotics at GI's recommendation - Fall 2008

Also avoiding: potatoes, beans, crucifers, popcorn, most red meat, coconut milk :(

Started eating a Paleo diet Spring 2011. Love it!

The grass is always greener where you water it.

Given your list of edibles, make a layered bean dip. Mashed beans or refried beans and mix in some leftover rice, layer on some peppers, veggies, and whatever else you can have. Serve with corn tortilla chips if you can have them or Riceworks chips or scoop it up with celery stix. Best part- no cooking :) I feel bad for you, my daughter is almost 20 and its hard at that age same as for school kids. My other daughter put fresh pineapple on her bean taco...hm :blink:

Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden and I will give you rest. Matthew 11:28

Do you know which genes you have? I have been reading a lot about genes since I found out I have double DQ1 genes. It seems that DQ1 people have many other intolerance's, not just gluten. You have to understand, sometimes the damage to the small intestine is so severe, it allows other foods to leak into the gut, and this is how we develop intolerance's. Sometimes though, the other intolerance's were already there, and until we are gluten free, we just didn't know about them.

I am intolerant of all grains (gluten, soy, corn, rice, oats), nightshades, cruciferous veggies, red meat, shellfish, and I gave up anything with high fructose corn syrup, and caffeine. The only processed food I use now is peanut butter and butter, if you can call them processed. I never had to give up dairy, thankfully.

DQ1 genes also are the neurological problem genes. Having double DQ1 genes is just double trouble. Your list of foods is much larger than mine. I can't eat bananasanymore, and I love them. I get a rash from many foods too, diarrhea from nightshades, constipation from the others.

Just know, there are many of us out here like you--we are all in this together!!! ;)

Deb

Long Island, NY

Double DQ1, subtype 6

We urge all doctors to take time to listen to your patients.. don't "isolate" symptoms but look at the whole spectrum. If a patient tells you s/he feels as if s/he's falling apart and "nothing seems to be working properly", chances are s/he's right!

"The calm river of your life approaches the rocky chute of the rapids - flow on through. You are the same water. The rocks cannot hurt you. Remember, now and then, that you are the water and not the boat. Flow on!

I found I also became more noticeably sensitive after going gluten-free. My own thought about it is that my immune system was very suppressed. After going gluten-free it started waking up..and showing more sensitivity.

I have other things going on though...lyme disease, metal toxicity, parasites, etc. Now I know that I haven't healed well enough on gluten-free and still cannot break down carbs. All this makes leaky gut worse and sensitivies worse.

So the answer might be pretty complex, but it is worth seeking out the reasons.

4/2007 Positive IGA, TTG Enterolab results, with severe malabsorption: Two DQ2 celiac genes--highest possible risk.

gluten-free since 4/22/07; SF since 7/07; 3/08 & 7/08 high sugar levels in stool (i.e. cannot break down carbs) digestive enzymes for carbs didn't help; 7/18/08 started SCD as prescribed by my physician (MD).

10/2000 dx LYME disease; 2008 clinical dx CELIAC; Other: hypothyroid, allergies, dupuytrens, high mercury levels

Not unusual to have other sensitivities either pre-diagnosis or post-diagnosis.

So far for my husband the other sensitivities aren't going away and it's been almost

5 years now.

Husband has Celiac Disease and

Husband misdiagnosed for 27 yrs -

The misdiagnosis was: IBS or colitis

Mis-diagnosed from 1977 to 2003 by various gastros including one of the largest,

most prestigious medical groups in northern NJ which constantly advertises themselves as

being the "best." This GI told him it was "all in his head."

Serious Depressive state ensued

Finally Diagnosed with celiac disease in 2003

Other food sensitivities: almost all fruits, vegetables, spices, eggs, nuts, yeast, fried foods, roughage, soy.

Needs to gain back at least 25 lbs. of the 40 lbs pounds he lost - lost a great amout of body fat and muscle

Developed neuropathy in 2005

Now has lymphadema 2006It is my opinion that his subsequent disorders could have been avoided had he been diagnosed sooner by any of the dozen or so doctors he saw between 1977 to 2003