Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

wockandwoll

So Nervous For Testing Tomorrow...

Hey all.. been trying to go gluten-free, but accidentally glutened myself the last two days, and I was only gluten-free for 2 days before that. Went to my GP today to tell him what was going on with my body, and before I could even say "Gluten" he said "Have you ever heard of Celiac Disease? I think it could be a definite possibility." THANK GOD! SO he ordered the tests but he didn't really tell me what they were going to do for the tests so I came here. Here's what my sheet says:

US ABDOMEN COMPLETE (Ultrasound for my gallbladder.. why?)

TISSUE TRANSGLUTAMATE IgA & IgG (omg is that a biopsy? I've never had one. Is there anesthetic involved? Will I be able to come to work?)

GLIADIN IgG ANTIBODY (a blood test, i presume)

ENDOMYSIAL IgA AB (another blood test?)

I have no idea what they're even looking for and all this medical jargon is making my head spin. Can someone give me some insight, and perhaps a bit of insight?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Looks like all blood and an ultrasound. No anesthesia. You will be fine.

GLUTEN FREE 4/4/08. LEGUME/SOY FREE 5/15/08. YEAST FREE. CORN FREE. GRAIN FREE. DAIRY FREE. I am eating all meats, eggs, veggies, fruits, squash, nuts and seeds. I just keep getting better every day. :)

Do not let any of the advice given here substitute for good medical care. Let this forum be a catalyst for research. Find support for any post in here before you believe it to be true. Arm yourself with knowledge. Let your doctor be your assistant. Listen to their advice, but follow your own instincts as well. Miracles are within your reach. You can heal!

TISSUE TRANSGLUTAMATE IgA & IgG (omg is that a biopsy? I've never had one. Is there anesthetic involved? Will I be able to come to work?)

GLIADIN IgG ANTIBODY (a blood test, i presume)

ENDOMYSIAL IgA AB (another blood test?)

These tests are all part of the Celiac Panel; which is the blood test. You might want to mention getting a complete IgA serum though, just in case you are IgA deficient. (IgA is associated with your immune systen and it's responses) The back up to this test is the IgG, (which I'm impressed that your doctor put in the test orders), but it's good to know if you're IgA deficient or not.

Not sure about the gall bladder, did they offer an explanation?

Be yourself, everyone else is taken.

Oscar Wilde

Gluten free November 2007

IgA Deficient, Neg Bloodwork, Double DQ2 Positive

Dietary and Genetic Diagnosis June 2, 2008

Soy free Jan 09

He wanted to make sure I didn't have any gallstones, allthough I can't see how that is relevant. THe word "tissue"

made me wonder if that was a biopsy. Thank you for clearing that up. So will they just take a syringe of blood and do the ultrasound and that's it?

It should be just a blood draw for the anitbodie tests, all those IGA IGE etc things.. The other test they do for celiac is an endoscopy. I am pretty sure they would use anesthesia for that though, and brief you ahead of time on the procedure and possibly having someone drive you home. In an endoscopy they insert a tube down the throat and take samples of the small intestine lining. It doesn't sound like you are getting an endoscopy. That would usually be done after the blood test results are back. My opinion, if you have the antibodies in your blood tests then you shouldn't need the endoscopy.

Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."

Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.

Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, eggplant, celery, strawberries, pistachios, and hard work. Have a good day! 🙂 Paul

yup, it sounds like a routine blood draw. they took about 4 or 6 vials when i had mine done.

make sure you eat a bunch of gluten tonight - have pizza or pasta or something. your blood work will be skewed if you're not consuming gluten.

5/23/2008 - blood positive for antibodies

6/24/2008 - negative biopsy

8/11/2008 - DQ2 gene present

7/1/2008 - gluten-free

(and dairy-light until 12/1/2008)

....sounds like you have an awesome doc!

"...I tried to explain to the waiter that I could not have anything with flour so he took the flower off the table..."

Live your life each day

greet the tides my friend

we're all nomads; forever on our way

a journey to the end.

Actually, I was really nervous that he would give me the "depressed housewife" or "IBS" diagnosis. Called me to say he wants to do another series of tests. Thyroid, metabolic profile and CBC, just to be sure of things. What's a metabolic profile.

I am surprised he didn't order those tests when he did the panel. The test is really a routine test, here is what it is for-

"The CMP is a frequently ordered panel that gives your doctor important information about the current status of your kidneys, liver, and electrolyte and acid/base balance as well as of your blood sugar and blood proteins. Abnormal results, and especially combinations of abnormal results, can indicate a problem that needs to be addressed.

The CMP is used as a broad screening tool to evaluate organ function and check for conditions such as diabetes, liver disease, and kidney disease. The CMP may also be ordered to monitor known conditions, such as hypertension, and to monitor patients taking specific medications for any kidney- or liver-related side effects. If your doctor is interested in following two or more individual CMP components, he may order the entire CMP because it offers more information.

The CMP is routinely ordered as part of a blood work-up for a medical exam"

http://www.labtestsonline.org/understandin...cmp/glance.html

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

I am surprised he didn't order those tests when he did the panel. The test is really a routine test, here is what it is for-

"The CMP is a frequently ordered panel that gives your doctor important information about the current status of your kidneys, liver, and electrolyte and acid/base balance as well as of your blood sugar and blood proteins. Abnormal results, and especially combinations of abnormal results, can indicate a problem that needs to be addressed.

The CMP is used as a broad screening tool to evaluate organ function and check for conditions such as diabetes, liver disease, and kidney disease. The CMP may also be ordered to monitor known conditions, such as hypertension, and to monitor patients taking specific medications for any kidney- or liver-related side effects. If your doctor is interested in following two or more individual CMP components, he may order the entire CMP because it offers more information.

The CMP is routinely ordered as part of a blood work-up for a medical exam"

http://www.labtestsonline.org/understandin...cmp/glance.html

hmmmm is gallbladder ultrasound part of diagnosis cause when I went he said my gall bladder was collapsed (I had eaten and hadn't been told I wasn't allowed to) ps:- I am in agony at the moment and could really do with a diagnosis