This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Dairy Free Scd -- Is It Possible?

Greeneyes4950

Greeneyes4950 Apprentice

Lately i've been wondering if going on the SCD may help allivate some of my weird bowel issues lately-- such as incomplete digestion. I'm already GFCFSF

I just got the book, Breaking the vicious cycle from the library and the "yogurt making" seems to be a big part of SCD.

The problem is that I can't have dairy -- Casein intolerance. So how am i supposed to make the yogurt?

I read on other website that you can make yogurt out of basically anything, i was thinking coconut milk.

Has anyone else done/doing a dairy free SCD -- any suggestions on that or yogurt making would be of great help! Thanks :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

feelingbetter Rookie

Hi- I have been doing the SCD dairy free for the past 4 months. I feel soooo much better. I don't eat any type of yogurt but I do take a dairy free probiotic.

Good Luck!

MySuicidalTurtle Enthusiast

I believe to make yogurt you have to start with a little bit of yogurt (to get the cultures). You could use a soy based one. I eat soy yogurt from time to time that is gluten, casein, and dairy-free and buy it at either Kroger or a health food store.

pele Rookie
Lately i've been wondering if going on the SCD may help allivate some of my weird bowel issues lately-- such as incomplete digestion. I'm already GFCFSF

I just got the book, Breaking the vicious cycle from the library and the "yogurt making" seems to be a big part of SCD.

The problem is that I can't have dairy -- Casein intolerance. So how am i supposed to make the yogurt?

I read on other website that you can make yogurt out of basically anything, i was thinking coconut milk.

Has anyone else done/doing a dairy free SCD -- any suggestions on that or yogurt making would be of great help! Thanks :)

I am also on a dairy free SCD. I started off with the SCD in early April still eating dairy, but the SCD helped me figure out that I am casein intolerant. I also take probiotics, not always the same kind, and drink kombucha now and then.

Coconut milk is recomended only in small amounts after you have been on the diet for a while, so don't go overboard with it.

In my non-scientific opinion, it is better to do the diet without dairy than to not do it at all (and stay on grain and processed food).

The first couple of weeks on the diet are the toughest, but were well worth it for me. Good luck!

ShayFL Enthusiast

I make yogurt with homemade almond milk. A cup of raw almond whirled in my Vita-Mix with water for 10 minutes which gets it the perfect temp to add the starter (GI Pro). I bought a yogurt maker wit 8 serving size cups. It works great!

lizard00 Enthusiast

I've not tried the SCD, but I also haven't pushed it out of thought yet... I try not to do dairy either. I tried some coconut milk yogurt and it was SOOOO good.

Personally, coconut milk soothes my stomach.

AliB Enthusiast

I have been gluten and dairy free since the end of Jan and on SCD since May and am gradually recovering. I know I am lactose intolerant, but may also be casein intolerant as I don't cope with most dairy. However, I have been making the SCD milk-based 24 hour yogurt most of the way through, and seem to be able to cope with that ok.

It seems that not only is most, if not all of the lactose digested by the bacteria, but the process changes the casein structure, making it more easily metabolised, too.

Just out of interest I was looking for more info on the yogurt and came across a couple threads on different sites that mentioned products like Activia. Although it undoubtedly tastes nice, it contains sugar which is extremely counter-productive as sugar feeds the very bacteria we are trying to replace with the good. Can't see the point of them, myself. They are very over-priced and very over-hyped.

It's surprising how nice the SCD yogurt is, made with whole milk and the addition of a good handful of blueberries and other tolerated fruit give all the sweetness we need plus extra nutrients. If it is dripped, it is even creamier and I have made it with the addition of some cream too, which I would normally not be able to cope with at all, but is fine in the yogurt.

Just a note - I have been having coconut milk in drinks, but read the other day that it has been implicated in high cholesterol. Apparently, fresh coconut is ok, but with tinned, some is processed in such a way that it turns it into a hydrogenated product. It is very annoying as I can't have rice milk because of the high carb content and gluten contamination, oat milk may or may not be gluten contaminated, almond milk is very expensive and difficult to find and, apart from the fact that the stuff is bad news, I can't tolerate soy milk.

I've bought a couple coconuts and have little choice but to try and make my own. Anyone made it successfully?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

nora-n Rookie

I just ran across a casein free SCD webpage. I have not read it, though. Open Original Shared Link

About the coconut milk, I do not know, but maybe one of the nomilk pages has some info? paleodiet pages are around somewhere, and Don Wiss has several milk-and grain-free pages somewhere on the web. Open Original Shared Link

yes, he has coconut recipes Open Original Shared Link

nora

AliB Enthusiast
I just ran across a casein free SCD webpage. I have not read it, though. Open Original Shared Link

About the coconut milk, I do not know, but maybe one of the nomilk pages has some info? paleodiet pages are around somewhere, and Don Wiss has several milk-and grain-free pages somewhere on the web. Open Original Shared Link

yes, he has coconut recipes Open Original Shared Link

nora

I have Natasha Campbell-McBride's 'Gut and Psychology Syndrome' book - it's my health Bible at the moment. thanks for the link to that website Nora, it looks interesting, I shall have a good parouse of that and the other links.

Archived