Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

So I've been staying away from nightshades as much as I can b/c I have found they make me feel icky. I ate a tomato the other day because a friend brought some over from his garden, it wasnt even appealing to me!!! and now just thinking of tomatoes make me feel naucious!

I read that sweet potatoes arent nightshades??? I never really ate them much before, but I've been having them quite regularly now. I cut them in strips, put them on a tray with olive oil and pepper and stick em in the toaster oven on broil untill they get crispy on the edges...mmm....

on the other hand, regular potaoes : the thought makes my stomach churn now! I dunno why, I used to love them, but sweet potatoes are way better. I hope they arent a nightshade...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

i don't think they are (but not positive, so don't quote me on that). i love them too! that's my favorite way to eat them. or, wrap one in tinfoil and throw it in the oven for an hour or two. it is so good you don't even need anything on it. i also liked adding them to baked potato soup...i bet it would be good made with just sweet potatoes!

Sweetfudge

Born and raised in Portland, OR; Currently living in Provo, UT

Gluten-free since June 2006

Also living with Hypoglycemia since 1991

Dairy-free for good since summer 2008

Started IBS diet and probiotics at GI's recommendation - Fall 2008

Also avoiding: potatoes, beans, crucifers, popcorn, most red meat, coconut milk :(

Started eating a Paleo diet Spring 2011. Love it!

The grass is always greener where you water it.

Sweet potatoes are definitely not a nightshade.

Now, if you like fried potatoes, potato chips, mashed potatoes, etc, try taro instead. It is a root vegetable, with a white fleshy inside, just like potato. I actually like the taste better than potato, and of course it's not a nightshade. Taro tastes very much like potato, only it has a slightly sweeter taste, with a hint of what many describe as tasting like water chestnut. The taro chips I made where the crunchiest chips I've ever had! Just make sure to handle the raw taro with rubber cloves, because the oxalate crystals can irritate the skin. Same for sweet potatoes actually, but fortunately, cooking destroys these crystals.

A spherical meteorite 10 km in diameter traveling at 20 km/s has the kinetic energy equal to the calories in 550,000,000,000,000,000 Twinkies.

And dont forget plantains. Here in Tampa I can buy them whole and ready to bake with nothing added to them. We have a large Hispanic population that supports these yummy foods. But see if you can get them.

Sweet Potatoes are in the Morning Glory Family. So eat up!!!

GLUTEN FREE 4/4/08. LEGUME/SOY FREE 5/15/08. YEAST FREE. CORN FREE. GRAIN FREE. DAIRY FREE. I am eating all meats, eggs, veggies, fruits, squash, nuts and seeds. I just keep getting better every day. :)

Do not let any of the advice given here substitute for good medical care. Let this forum be a catalyst for research. Find support for any post in here before you believe it to be true. Arm yourself with knowledge. Let your doctor be your assistant. Listen to their advice, but follow your own instincts as well. Miracles are within your reach. You can heal!

I looooove sweet potatoes! I put butter and sour cream on them. My one year old could eat them for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.

Amy

1989: I am diagnosed with IBS.

3/08: 8-year-old son diagnosed with Celiac (blood test and biopsy) and allergies to corn, egg whites, soy, peanuts, walnuts, wheat, and clam.

6/08: My Celiac test is negative.

7/08: I go completely gluten free despite negative test and NO MORE IBS SYMPTOMS!!

7/09: My Enterolab gluten sensitivity gene testing results indicate I have one Celiac gene and one gluten sensitivity gene.

8/09: I am diagnosed with Celiac based on gene testing results and positive response to diet.