This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Something Wrong In My Head...

Pyro

Pyro Enthusiast

For the past few weeks I've been doing great. My stomach was bloated for a good chunk of the summer and finally it started to go down. But then I started pushing my luck; eating things that I've been avoiding just because it usually irritates me. I've decided to avoid all starches and grains because they usually clump up in my stomach and cause way more trouble than they are worth, because IMO they usually are bland. As a kid I never particularly had love for cereals, potatoes, rice, and things like that. Why should I crave them now?

Yesterday I pushed my luck and had daifuku ( a brand that doesn't specify allergens or possibility of shared equipment) , a rice crepe meal from a vietnamese restaurant for lunch, and japanese curry with potatoes and carrots for dinner. Luckily I'm not completely constipated nor am I in real pain. Everything seemed to go okay save for the fact that I've been having really bad D that I can't explain. It could just be from the really oily Japanese curry mix; hopefully it's nothing serious. Though I feel it's much better to have that than my week long bloating and constipation routines. I'm still angry at myself for being so careless and risky. All this hard work and I was willing to throw it all away for what? Some masochistic curiosity?

The curiosity has been worse this morning. For some reason I want to just have a doughnut and a milkshake to see what happens. I've had that thought in the past and was strong enough to simply dismiss it. Even "tease" myself by looking at delicious pastries people were eating, but there would be no temptation. More of a power trip like "I can't have it, but I don't want it either". Sometimes it would seem like a better idea than at other times but there is an obvious strange split this time. This time I can tell it won't do me any good and would be a waste of x days of my life, but the urge is still there and strong. Something in me just wants to even though I truly don't want to. You know what I mean?

I've been gluten free for 10 months btw.

Ugh... it's so frustrating.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ShayFL Enthusiast

It may not be your fault. Blame your brain chemistry. Some people are "risk takers" and their unique brain chemistry reflects this. I should know because I have that brain chemistry (but not extreme). We actually have certain enzymes and chemicals different from people that do not take risks. :) Google it!

I get the same exact feelings/sensations you do. Oh...I'll just eat it. And sometimes I do. Or I skirt around the problem food. Not eating the donut directly, but maybe eating at the cafe. Still taking a risk. A cautioned risk. But a risk nonetheless.

I am no daredevil, but I have spent my life "risk taking". Some produced good things. Like I took a risk in listing my artwork for sale. It paid off as I now earn a full-time living selling my art. Other risks were not so smart. I will save the details........ ;)

RiceGuy Collaborator

I'm wondering if it might be the effects of those things you ate which apparently had some gluten in them. Perhaps you're now in a state of withdrawal or detoxification. I'd say, stay strongly committed and don't give in, and hopefully it will pass. You already know what would happen if you give in.

But, I understand that sometimes we just wanna try something, even though experience tells us it's a bad idea. We may just need occasional reinforcement. The trouble is, not everyone has a bad enough reaction to make them avoid what they know they shouldn't eat.

ShayFL Enthusiast

Could be that....but could also be your wiring. Either way....you gotta resist. Try distraction methods. They are helpful for me. I will throw myself into a project with a specific goal.

ang1e0251 Contributor

I agree with the other posters, could be a risk taking brain or a reaction to the gluten ( oh, I already feel bad, let's go for it). But what about plain stubborness? I feel like that sometimes where I just want what I want when I want it. Pretty immature, huh?

What often works for me is to find a way to make a food as close to the "old" food as possible. I can't have milkshakes, but I make smoothies & frappes with my soy milk. I can't have wheat bread but I'm learning to make gluten free bread that's not like packing peanuts.

I'm also reaching out to others, on this forum and in my town. We're starting a support group. Wish me luck!

Hang in there. You can stay on your diet. Find ways to satisfy the cravings & "risky" eating and you will feel & look great. That's real machismo; a healthy glow & healthy body!

Pyro Enthusiast

It's definitely a brain chemistry thing. As the rider I can 100% know it's a bad idea, but the horse is just running amok. :lol:

Though I didn't give in and feel much better today even though one of my worst fears is coming true. MEAT might be bothering my stomach. Today after eating some beef my gut was instantly gurgling and I got a little gassy. And the fish I ate later isn't sitting as easy as it could. For the last couple of weeks I've been wanting to avoid meat completely. No desire to eat it at all. But meat is a major part of my diet and I couldn't see living a healthy lifestyle without it (yes I read all about veganism and fruitarianism). I'm a big believer in paleo style diets. Oy... Whatever happened to me?... I'll make another topic about this because it's really bothering me.

More on milkshakes. They are the thing that I miss the most. The thing that I like about doughnuts and french fries is the rich fatty flavor the Japanese describe as umami which can be easily satisfied by eating fatty beefs. Even if a steak isn't like a doughnut at all, eating one will obliterate my doughnut cravings because my wild horse must have simply wanted that "umami" lard. But milkshakes cannot be made without milk, ice cream, and malt. I've had dairy substitute smoothies but they don't compare at all. Not even close. If you can make me a milkshake that I can safely eat you would have my power of attorney.

JNBunnie1 Community Regular
It's definitely a brain chemistry thing. As the rider I can 100% know it's a bad idea, but the horse is just running amok. :lol:

Though I didn't give in and feel much better today even though one of my worst fears is coming true. MEAT might be bothering my stomach. Today after eating some beef my gut was instantly gurgling and I got a little gassy. And the fish I ate later isn't sitting as easy as it could. For the last couple of weeks I've been wanting to avoid meat completely. No desire to eat it at all. But meat is a major part of my diet and I couldn't see living a healthy lifestyle without it (yes I read all about veganism and fruitarianism). I'm a big believer in paleo style diets. Oy... Whatever happened to me?... I'll make another topic about this because it's really bothering me.

More on milkshakes. They are the thing that I miss the most. The thing that I like about doughnuts and french fries is the rich fatty flavor the Japanese describe as umami which can be easily satisfied by eating fatty beefs. Even if a steak isn't like a doughnut at all, eating one will obliterate my doughnut cravings because my wild horse must have simply wanted that "umami" lard. But milkshakes cannot be made without milk, ice cream, and malt. I've had dairy substitute smoothies but they don't compare at all. Not even close. If you can make me a milkshake that I can safely eat you would have my power of attorney.

Give it a while before you start blaming meat. Your tummy is probably still pissed, and would have acted up no matter what you ate. Try and stick to gentle food for now, the longer you're gluten free, the longer and/or worse a glutening may affect you.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Pyro Enthusiast

What is a gentle meat I should look into?

Or do you think I should try going fruitarian/raw vegan for a couple of days to let my stomach clear out? Even though I had a lot of D the other day I still feel clogged. I've never done something like that before but people claim that it helps them "go" and is a good way to spend a couple of days healing up.

ang1e0251 Contributor

I had the yucks the other day myself, I think do to a dose of ibuprofin, and noodle soup with a very little chicken & lots of rice noodles hit the spot. I made the broth in the crockpot with one chicken breast, salt and pepper, and tumeric. I froze half and added the rice noodles to the rest. The noodles I have need to be softened. I boiled water then added the noodles for 10 minutes then drained them. Into the pot they went to be boiled with the broth till al dente. mmmmmm

Sorry about the ice cream. I can't help you with the malt, you are out of luck there. I haven't had milk for 20 years so I'm used to Silk Soy milk. I blend it with frozen strawberries and sweetener for a Strawberry Smoothie. I love it. I don't know if it would be rich enough for you but it's a pretty good alternative.

I go back to basics when my system is on the fritz; simple foods prepared simply. The same way I started the diet. That will get me back on track. Hope your engine is running smooth soon.

ShayFL Enthusiast

Turtle Mountain's Coconut Ice Cream (Vanilla flavor) could help with the milkshake cravings.

RiceGuy Collaborator
But milkshakes cannot be made without milk, ice cream, and malt. I've had dairy substitute smoothies but they don't compare at all. Not even close. If you can make me a milkshake that I can safely eat you would have my power of attorney.

Well, though I don't eat dairy, I do like a rich creamy shake now and then. I've even made dairy-free, egg-free, sugar-free, alcohol-free "eggnog". Tasted just like the stuff from the supermarket. I have some ideas for a dairy-free strawberry and/or banana "milk" shake which I'm sure will be yummy, though only dairy will really ever taste exactly like dairy. But if served to someone without them knowing what's in it, I'd bet they wouldn't know what's NOT in it.

I never measure, so I don't exactly have a "recipe". Perhaps I'll post some once I bother to make the measurements.

I've little doubt that umami has something to do with it too. As I understand it, beef and dairy have a lot of glutamic acid. Avoiding that long enough to allow the sense of taste to return to normal should help with finding satiety within your dietary restrictions. But one thing remains true - fat and salt make a big impact on flavor.

Archived