Jump to content
  • Join Our Community!

    Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

mslee

Mussels, Sunchokes, & Coconut Oil

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

Since cutting so many foods out of my diet I've been trying some new things a couple have caused problems...

Last night I made clams and mussels bouillabaisse (it was mostly mussels they cost less)

Today I feel sick like never before, mostly very very weak and limp. Very weak, has anyone had this experience? Not vomiting or D, just very dizzy.

I bought them from wholefoods, talked to the fish guy he said they were good mussels and fresh, they tasted great. made them with celery/thin sliced carrot/water/white wine

The only allergic type reaction I have ever had was from eating sun-chokes (sunflower tubers) baked in coconut oil. My mouth & throat got swollen & I was itchy everywhere, became hard to breath. I took an antihistamine to calm it down and it helped.

Still not sure if it was the coconut or the sun-chokes that did it ...too afraid to test and find out.

Everything else seems to be more of an intolerance.

(I should probably be less adventurous at the grocery store but I've grown so tired of the same old same old.)

I made an allergist apt for next week to hope to find at least the worse offenders...

any tips on what exactly to request?

The staff did say the Dr is familiar with Celiac.

ok, crash time :(

Thanks!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I got sick about 6 months ago after eating mussels in white wine/butter/salt only. I have not eaten them since.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You may have developed an allergy to shellfish. A good friend of mine never had a problem and suddenly, ate lobster and had a similar experience to you. She can no longer eat shellfish.

It's good that you're going to see an allergist- I saw one about a year after I had gone gluten-free to rule out any allergies. Mine tested me for 40 allergies- all the major food allergens, environmental allergens. Of course, I was allergic to nothing (but intolerant to tons of stuff)!!!!!!! Go figure.

Hope you get some answers!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Shay!

I got some good food down and am feeling a little better.

I noticed some people said sulfates can be a problem, I barely ever drink wine because it usually makes me feel headachey after a few sips. I wonder if the natural sulfates in the wine could have caused problems.

LOL Though I'm in no hurry to consume mussels any time soon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
You may have developed an allergy to shellfish. A good friend of mine never had a problem and suddenly, ate lobster and had a similar experience to you. She can no longer eat shellfish.

It's good that you're going to see an allergist- I saw one about a year after I had gone gluten-free to rule out any allergies. Mine tested me for 40 allergies- all the major food allergens, environmental allergens. Of course, I was allergic to nothing (but intolerant to tons of stuff)!!!!!!! Go figure.

Hope you get some answers!

oh really tested positive for nothing!

That's what I figure will happen to me. But those last two food scares leave me needing some answers, it's too hard keeping nourished when everything makes you sick. I need to see a dietitian but feel I should know what foods I definitely cannot eat first.

Interesting about the shellfish allergy. My Mom and Sister have a ton of allergies, I was always the lucky one who didn't. haha jokes on me!

Thanks for the info!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Shellfish are not healthy to eat. They have contaminants like mercury, chemicals, pesticides, bacteria, viruses parasites, etc... google it. They are designed to clean the waters of the above mentioned list.

Same like pigs and rats clean the earth. Pigs eat all that contaminated food and what not.

My dh and mil get sick when they eat oysters. Our waters are more contaminated today than ever before and now there are pharmaceuticals washed into the waters causing lots of havoc in marine animals.

Salt water and fresh are polluted, the "fish" can't keep up anymore. I would only eat fish like salmon from Alaska or Iceland to be safe. Farm raised fish are bad too. Sorry for this explanation. Could be why so many get sick and are allergic to shellfish or what they eat???

http://www.allpointbulletin.com/archives/2...ront_page5.html

http://www.healthebay.org/stayhealthy/seaf...nts_natural.asp

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Shellfish are not healthy to eat. They have contaminants like mercury, chemicals, pesticides, bacteria, viruses parasites, etc... google it. They are designed to clean the waters of the above mentioned list.

Same like pigs and rats clean the earth. Pigs eat all that contaminated food and what not.

My dh and mil get sick when they eat oysters. Our waters are more contaminated today than ever before and now there are pharmaceuticals washed into the waters causing lots of havoc in marine animals.

Salt water and fresh are polluted, the "fish" can't keep up anymore. I would only eat fish like salmon from Alaska or Iceland to be safe. Farm raised fish are bad too. Sorry for this explanation. Could be why so many get sick and are allergic to shellfish or what they eat???

http://www.allpointbulletin.com/archives/2...ront_page5.html

http://www.healthebay.org/stayhealthy/seaf...nts_natural.asp

Thanks!

I know everything is gross now a days!

They were kinda a treat, something I used to eat back home but I'm probably just too sensitive to be eating risky seafood right now. Probably best to save indulging for vacation to Alaska or the Pacific North West. And don't have much desire to eat more now anyways! :lol:

I try to stick to small/ eco friendly fish who live in cold waters for omega 3 fatty acids & a quick snack.

allergy testing tomorrow.

thanks for the links!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My ex-boyfriend had a terrible reaction to Mussels once (no allergies, no other health issues). The GI at the ER said that mussels are the most common reaction causing shellfish. A lot of people can't tolerate mussels, whether it be the toxins or the fish themselves. I don't like shellfish because I can't deal with grit. Even the best washed shellfish has a little grit in it and I have the most sensitive teeth ever.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...