This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Bloating, Burping And Palpitation :(

motif

motif Contributor

Hi,

How bad gasses can be? Got today some relapse of bloating and burping

and the gases are coming high to my chest causing sometimes even some short stubbing pain.

Especially weird feeling when I e.g. bend or lay down and I'm getting often some heart palpitation

followed by burping.

thanks

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

BelievinMiracles Explorer
Hi,

How bad gasses can be? Got today some relapse of bloating and burping

and the gases are coming high to my chest causing sometimes even some short stubbing pain.

Especially weird feeling when I e.g. bend or lay down and I'm getting often some heart palpitation

followed by burping.

thanks

I get really gassy. Actually that was the one symptom that made me go to the doctor to get it fixed. I used to burp every 2 minutes. Ha Ha I thought I would go into the world record with longest burping spree or the most burps. My stomach/intestines get really noisy and I bloat!. Just make sure you don't lay down after you eat. That's a no no. Could it be that you are having heart burn?

motif Contributor
Could it be that you are having heart burn?

I used to have some heart burn but not recently. Did your gases caused any pain i chest?

How did you get rid of this? I'm currently on candida diet (no sugar, wheat etc) Yesterday I ate some

ice cream and wonder if it could be the reason.

mushroom Proficient

I am in the midst of a burpy, bloaty, gassy, nauseous miseries relapse, with the heart palpitations and insomnia also. Couldn't figure it out until I remembered a different medication I had begun to take. If I can't sleep I normally take a Valium, and I had had my PCP in Nevada give me a refill a couple of months ago when I was there. Only she got smart with me and instead of prescribing Valium she gave me Lorazepam. When I ran out of the Valium I started taking that, and didn't think to check it's gluten-free status. I called Schering and they said they didn't put gluten in the product, but I told them "You can't fool a celiac." They then backtracked a little and said, well, they didn't claim to be gluten-free because they don't test the product, but their suppliers were supposed to notify them if there was gluten in it. Obviously they didn't.

I am a bit better today, having finally cottoned on and got some more Valium. Only took the Lorazepam because I had eaten a chocolate truffle after dinner and suddenly I am reacting to the caffeine in chocolate, which had never bothered me before, and had a bad dose of palpitations and insomnia the night before I had to do something important, and needed my sleep.

I am getting a bit tired of these food reactions :angry::( Besides I felt so stupid.

Are you sure nothing has crept into your diet unawares??

motif Contributor
Are you sure nothing has crept into your diet unawares??

I really don't know anymore, I thought I don't have celiac since blood test didn't confirm that,

but I'm not sure since looks like I react sometime badly to breads and beans soups etc. In the meantime I found out from spit test that I may have candida overgrow so I undergo no sugar, no wheat diet. I cheat a little with wheat though. Some of my symptoms got better but again both diets are similar a little. So I'm totally confused. Some explanation could be candida die-off but when I get this chest pain and palpitation or bloating

I started to get scared and anxiety comes to play :(

mushroom Proficient
so I undergo no sugar, no wheat diet. I cheat a little with wheat though
motif Contributor
Have you tried going totally gluten-free, i.e., no wheat, rye, oats or barley??

I tried once few months ago, it seamed to help but stopped don't remember even why.

I think you're right I'll try it one more time along with candida diet, maybe I have both? :o

Symptoms can be very similar as I read.

The most disturbing are these stubbing pain in the middle of the chest. They're rare though.

thanks

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

motif Contributor

today I started to feel mild pain in my mid chest when swallowing...

Anybody can relate?

I've read it can be GERD related.

jerseyangel Proficient
today I started to feel mild pain in my mid chest when swallowing...

Anybody can relate?

I've read it can be GERD related.

It can be related to GERD, among other things. With chest pain, it's always best to check with your doctor.

Having said that, I have the same symptoms that you do and, for me, they don't seem to be related to gluten. Just last month, I had another endoscopy and the doctor found a hiatal hernia that explains my upper digestive symptoms that don't correlate with gluten.

Janiney Rookie

I was very bloated, burpy, indigestion pains.... when they're really bad these can shoot in your chest and make you feel like your having a heart attack. I also had anxiety attacks and palpitations for years before going gluten free, partly because of the effect gluten had on my body but also because of the worrying and unanswered questions about what was wrong with me.

If I went anywhere in public and started to feel ill, I would get scared that I was going to be sick everwhere or suddenly get diarrhoea and not be able to find a bathroom and that would make me go into a kind of anxiety attack.

There are so many symptoms associated with coeliac disease. Blood tests are often false negatives so the only way to really find out is to try the diet. You need to give a gluten free diet time. It can be weeks or even months before your system can clear itself and you start to notice the difference. B)

BelievinMiracles Explorer

I found my gassyiness to subside when I went gluten free and I notice it comes back when I eat gluten and when I'm under a lot of stress. I've been dealing with gas since forever and it's finally nice to go on a date with someone and not be gassy! I would recommend gluten free because now I'm free of a lot of stuff and definitely notice some improvement. I also used to have food that would "get stuck" in my throat and one time it even choked me on a date with a boyfriend at the time. I puked in his car! Not a good memory but I also noticed that that doesn't happen as frequently. It's one of those things that gas and all that jazz are symptoms of million other things so the best thing to do is trial and error. Good luck!

motif Contributor
I was very bloated, burpy, indigestion pains.... when they're really bad these can shoot in your chest and make you feel like your having a heart attack. I also had anxiety attacks and palpitations for years before going gluten free, partly because of the effect gluten had on my body but also because of the worrying and unanswered questions about what was wrong with me.

That exactly how I feel sometimes, strange but for some time I though it was candida since on no sugar/no wheat diet I was doing much better. Problem is I was cheating on wheat so if I am sensitive to gluten that could be a reason I have problems now. It's possible that I have both also - candida and celiac. Yesterday I ate some ice cream and macaroni...

I'll try absolutely no gluten for some time and we'll see.

mushroom Proficient

Good on ya!! Here's hoping it works for you too :wub:

I have never had the stabbing pains but did used to start the anxiety bit. If you feel that coming on, try to relax and try some deep breathing through your belly (i.e., let your belly expand as you breathe slowly in, then breathe sl.o.o.w.w.ly out. This used to work for me.

I also used to have the food stick in my throat and throw up, especially with meds. Happens less frequently now.

Of course, as jerseyangel says, your symptoms could be coming from something else, but if gluten free works you have your answer. If not then you need to explore further with your doctor.

P.S. Your ice cream reaction could be a lactose intolerance too. I can't eat ice cream.

Archived