This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gross Question..sort Of

givenupgluten

givenupgluten Explorer

Hi all...I have an icky question for ya..

I have been on the gluten free diet since late June...so for about 3 months or so. The past week/week and a half, I've been noticing that at least once a day when i go to the restroom for #2...it floats. I thought I'd heard that this was a sign of celiac and the malabsorbtion of fat. I have been careful about not ingesting any gluten that I'm aware of.....but I find it odd that all of a sudden this seems to be happening. I don't actually recall it happening BEFORE I was on a gluten free diet. So my question is: Is this a normal thing that happens every once in awhile regardless of whether you have celiac or not? Does it mean that I've ingested gluten and my body isn't absorbing it? Or.....?? I'm just not sure if I'm reading too far into it or not. Any advice is appreciated

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ShayFL Enthusiast

Check this link out to see if your "floaters" require further investigation:

Open Original Shared Link

Guest goldie

Sorry but I'm going to seem rally stupid- does floating stools mean that they float before the toilet is flushed or does it mean that there is difficulty flushing them away and they float?

Ginsou Explorer

It means they float before the toilet is flushed.

Several times in the past few years I have had a few "floaters" and once passed some foamy looking stuff. Since it doesn't happen all the time, I wouldn't worry about it. If it happens on a regular basis, then I'd mention it to your doctor.

Guest goldie

Oh dear. I thought that was normal !! I was diagnosed about a year ago but this is still how things are in that department and have been for as long as I've been aware ( lovely subject).

• 2 months later...
kosherkid Newbie

I have the same problem much of the time, and I didn't before being gluten free :( .

They are now also almost always soft - much harder to wipe my bottom ;):angry:

David

Amber M Explorer
I have the same problem much of the time, and I didn't before being gluten free :( .

They are now also almost always soft - much harder to wipe my bottom ;):angry:

David

I say check out the site Shay listed, but I always heard that floaters were a sign of good health. Let us know what you find out. Think I'll check the site too.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Amber M Explorer
I say check out the site Shay listed, but I always heard that floaters were a sign of good health. Let us know what you find out. Think I'll check the site too.

I'm back, just checked out the site, you must read it. It is not a sign of good health. I was mis-informed. There are several causes including celiac and bacteria. I would speak with your doctor, you might have malabsorption.

Eric-C Enthusiast

LOL...not at your problem but at my interpretation of it.

I too always thought floaters meant you had adequate fiber in your diet. I used to wonder....hmmm, sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't.

Forgotten all about it but since I've gone gluten free, no floaters.

I found this article:

That was always my interpretation of it, floating was good, meant you had enough fiber.

Looks like its time to ask you doctor....and maybe I should increase my fiber intake.

There may be two reasons for floaters...a good and bad one.

Paul1 Newbie
Check this link out to see if your "floaters" require further investigation:

I haven't had constipation in years, but in my youth I was five for five for the celiac symptoms. No wonder I was never diagnosed!

What's funny about this, is in high school Health class, I remember the teacher telling us that's what you wanted to aim for. It was a sign of health (the things you remember) if your stool floated. It means healthy amounts of fiber.

The "airy-est" I've ever been was this spring was when I tried Seitan (PURE GLUTEN). Ironically, it was the comments section of the recipe (a european talking about gluten and Celiac) that finally turned the light bulb on for me. I've been gluten free since around May and get very alarmed on the rare occasions this has returned.

Amber M Explorer
I haven't had constipation in years, but in my youth I was five for five for the celiac symptoms. No wonder I was never diagnosed!

What's funny about this, is in high school Health class, I remember the teacher telling us that's what you wanted to aim for. It was a sign of health (the things you remember) if your stool floated. It means healthy amounts of fiber.

The "airy-est" I've ever been was this spring was when I tried Seitan (PURE GLUTEN). Ironically, it was the comments section of the recipe (a european talking about gluten and Celiac) that finally turned the light bulb on for me. I've been gluten free since around May and get very alarmed on the rare occasions this has returned.

I had very loose stools for years and then, the last five or so, the more gluten I ate, the more compacted I got. I can't remember if the "softballs" I would finally give birth to floated or not! LOL!!

sbj Rookie

Don't floaters mean you have a lot of fat in your stool? And one reason you might have a lot of fat is because you are not absorbing it properly (celiac).

If you have celiac but are gluten free and still experiencing floaters, it might be because your diet is too high in fat. Even when you are absorbing fat properly if you eat too much you're gonna end up with floaters.

'Toothpaste' consistency is the right target!

As Mr. Hanky would say, "Howdy ho!"

NewNicole Apprentice

I have had an issue for years with the stool floating. I have been told by a few doctors that it is normal. At the same time when Randy Pausch was on Dateline he mentioned a telltale sign of pancreas issues is floating stools. i also have read that it is a sign of malabsorption. But the doctor did say they biggest issue is a change in consistency and a change in color such as chalky, pale white, black, or red. So that is what I would be looking for and then discuss with your doctor. Good luck and tell us what you find out.

Nicole

Amber M Explorer
I have had an issue for years with the stool floating. I have been told by a few doctors that it is normal. At the same time when Randy Pausch was on Dateline he mentioned a telltale sign of pancreas issues is floating stools. i also have read that it is a sign of malabsorption. But the doctor did say they biggest issue is a change in consistency and a change in color such as chalky, pale white, black, or red. So that is what I would be looking for and then discuss with your doctor. Good luck and tell us what you find out.

Nicole

It seems from all I have read lately on this topic, it can be a good sign (if you are getting enough fiber) and it could be a bad sign because it can be malabsorption. I think we have to go over our diets and individual condition at the time to help figure it out. A doctor could think you were fine (thinking the fiber issue) and skip over the possibility of it being malabsorption. If you have celiac, I would lean towards malabsorption. This is a tough one.

LuvMoosic4life Collaborator

I always though t floating stools meant a lot of gas in the stool. I used to have them all the time b4 going gluten-free. The only time I have had them while gluten-free is if I eat too many processed foods. I eat tons of fruits and veggies now and nearly NO processed foods at all and never have floating stools.

• 1 month later...
thleensd Enthusiast

I'm not a poop expert...hehe, but in trying to figure out what the heck was wrong pre-diagnosis I learned some stuff.

The best description I read that was stool should be the consistency of toothpaste, float for a moment, then sink slowly. THERE's something to strive for!

Fatty stools float, but they often are hard to flush away - crud sticks to the sides of the bowl. Also, there will frequently be a greasy film.

That being said, any time you change your diet drastically your stools will change as well. So, give your body a couple of weeks to normalize, and try for a balanced diet.

Hi all...I have an icky question for ya..

I have been on the gluten free diet since late June...so for about 3 months or so. The past week/week and a half, I've been noticing that at least once a day when i go to the restroom for #2...it floats. I thought I'd heard that this was a sign of celiac and the malabsorbtion of fat. I have been careful about not ingesting any gluten that I'm aware of.....but I find it odd that all of a sudden this seems to be happening. I don't actually recall it happening BEFORE I was on a gluten free diet. So my question is: Is this a normal thing that happens every once in awhile regardless of whether you have celiac or not? Does it mean that I've ingested gluten and my body isn't absorbing it? Or.....?? I'm just not sure if I'm reading too far into it or not. Any advice is appreciated

Archived